GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Red eared slider turtle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/49612-red-eared-slider-turtle.html)

Mainpin 03-01-2004 07:05 PM

Red eared slider turtle

The weather here in Philadelphia, Pa. is around 50 degrees so today was a good
day to clean out the leaves in my pond from the fall. As I was netting out
leaves I accidently netted my turtle who has been in the pond since last June.
He wasn't moving and his eyes were closed. I put him back right away. Do they
overwinter or is it possible he is dead?

Ka30P 04-01-2004 12:00 AM

Red eared slider turtle

They overwinter in the pond.
They just slow down and hang out
on the bottom of the pond.
I bet you'll see him pop up next spring.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Gabrielle 05-01-2004 02:02 AM

Red eared slider turtle

Probably just so cold he's vegging. Mine spend the coldest weeks at the
bottom with eyes shut. Usually they stir if I bring them up but go right
back to sleep.
Gabrielle

Ka30P 05-01-2004 02:03 AM

Red eared slider turtle

Turtles will move around under
the ice if it gets warmer. They'll
they get colder.

Judi9000 16-01-2004 05:32 AM

Red eared slider turtle

Probably just so cold he's vegging. Mine spend the coldest weeks at the
bottom with eyes shut.

I asked at the pet store about red ear sliders for ponds and was told they need
heaters and will die if too cold. I guess this is not true.?

Ka30P 16-01-2004 05:42 AM

Red eared slider turtle

Judi wrote
I asked at the pet store about red ear sliders for ponds and was told they
need
heaters and will die if too cold. I guess this is not true.?

Red-earred sliders are native from SE Virginia to Florida. Those would be the
areas where they
would do well.