Old 10-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Ken Russell

Default Algae on surfaces

My pond is free from algae except for the surfaces of the liner and hoses
etc. My wife says we should get rid of all of it, but I think the surface
covering is good for the fish.

Am I right?

--
Ken Russell

---

Old 10-01-2004, 01:12 PM
J.D. Stone

Leave the surfaces alone (unless it is string algae). Clean hoses if you
want for esthetic purposes but the coatings on the liner are an important
part of pond balance. Even those who "deep clean" their ponds try to not
disturb the liner too much.
JD
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone/

u...

Old 10-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Tom La Bron

Ken,

Don't know where you are at, but with the assumption you are in a warmer
climate and your pond is running, but in some what of a winter mode, the
algae is all right. My pond is still running while temps in the pond
fluctuate from 58 degrees a week ago to 34 degrees last night, I still have
algae growing on the sides of some of the pots in the pond and even have
some string algae but nothing obnoxious. Let it alone. When spring comes
you will need this advance algae to help with the waste in the water before
the biobugs get the their colonies going again to take care of the waste the
fish are producing.

Tom L.L.

Old 10-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Ka30P

Algae that grows on surfaces is called
substrate algae and comes in a bunch of
different kinds. It helps clean the water
and feed the fish when they shouldn't
be eating much of anything except for
plant matter. You can't have a pond without
it. Mother Nature will not stand for it! Algae
is one of the basic building blocks of the
food chain and will not be denied its rightful
place ;-)
On the other hand string algae and free floating
algae is okay to mess with. Keep
substrate algae around and it will help
keep string algae and free floating algae down.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html

Old 11-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Ken Russell

Thank you everyone who responded.

It's good to see you all in agreement :-)

Ken Russell

"Ken Russell" wrote in message
u...
| My pond is free from algae except for the surfaces of the liner and hoses
| etc. My wife says we should get rid of all of it, but I think the surface
| covering is good for the fish.
|
| Am I right?
|
| --
| Ken Russell