GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fish freezing solid in shallows (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/50456-fish-freezing-solid-shallows.html)

~ jan JJsPond.us 20-01-2004 03:08 AM

Fish freezing solid in shallows

waterfall was supercooling the water a bit making it colder in the deep
end. The first fish that died a month ago though froze in the deep end.

Could be. Not sure of your fish load situation, but maybe turning the falls
off and putting the deicer in the pond would be worth a try?

Sorry for your loss.

Yea, and it would be the one with one of the best patterns, but considering
how hard I worked to recover the 3 others last year, I'm almost
relieved.... but that's not to say I get to start out the spring clean,
does it? s I can only hope.

Sorry your work situation is so awful. That's a bummer. ~ jan

Anne Lurie 24-01-2004 08:04 PM

Fish freezing solid in shallows

Robyn,

I wonder if your goldfish were hanging out in the shallow part of the pond
because of the ice itself. Is there any "structure" in the deeper part of
your pond for the fish to hang out near or under?

My goldfish hangs out between the two filters of my Little Giant pump since
there are no pond plants in the pond now. (I had a Parrotfeather in a pot
on the bottom of the pond earlier; the fish hung out underneath the leaves,
and the frogs sat on top of the floating leaves.)

You may not get a decent break in the weather to add any structure to your
pond this season, but you might keep it in mind for next year.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC