Old 20-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Vinnie Murdico

Default New Pond Owner - Maintenance Question...

We just built a new, small (above-ground) pond inside our screened patio
here in Florida. It will *not* contain fish or plants -- it will just be a
simple pond with a waterfall. The pond holds approximately 75-100 gallons
of water (city water). It has a 170 gph pump that is running all the time
to circulate the water via a small multi-shelf waterfall.

Can anyone suggest any good web sites where I can learn more about the
required water maintenance for a pond without fish or plants?

Thanks,
Vinnie Murdico

Old 20-01-2004, 04:42 PM
BenignVanilla

"Vinnie Murdico" wrote in
message t...
We just built a new, small (above-ground) pond inside our screened patio
here in Florida. It will *not* contain fish or plants -- it will just be a
simple pond with a waterfall.

snip

We'll see how long that lasts. Oh, we'll just put one in...and a
lily...ooh what are those?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 20-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Vinnie Murdico

We'll see how long that lasts. Oh, we'll just put one in...and a
lily...ooh what are those?

You're probably right -- my wife has already mentioned some plants :-)

But the problem I'm having is that every web site or newsgroup article I
read talks about managing water such that it will support fish and plant
life, which (right now) I don't have, so I'm not sure if I would need to do
all those things: (i.e. dechlorinate, balance pH, treat for scale, etc.).

We have a hot tub so I have an idea how to some of do these water
maintenance things, but I don't want to do something that isn't necessary or
that might gunk up the water because some chemical really wasn't needed.

Thanks,
-- Vinnie

Old 20-01-2004, 05:07 PM

you want absolutely crystal clear water just get an ozonator ... forget the chlorine,
bromine or bleach. our spa is always crystal clear with our ozonator. Ingrid

"Vinnie Murdico" wrote:

We just built a new, small (above-ground) pond inside our screened patio
here in Florida. It will *not* contain fish or plants -- it will just be a
simple pond with a waterfall. The pond holds approximately 75-100 gallons
of water (city water). It has a 170 gph pump that is running all the time
to circulate the water via a small multi-shelf waterfall.

Can anyone suggest any good web sites where I can learn more about the
required water maintenance for a pond without fish or plants?

Thanks,
Vinnie Murdico

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 20-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Vinnie Murdico

you want absolutely crystal clear water just get an ozonator ... forget
the chlorine,
bromine or bleach. our spa is always crystal clear with our ozonator.

Ingrid

Does this mean I should treat the water in the pond the way I treat the
water in the spa?

-- Vinnie

Old 20-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Andy Hill

"Vinnie Murdico" wrote:
We just built a new, small (above-ground) pond inside our screened patio
here in Florida. It will *not* contain fish or plants -- it will just be a
simple pond with a waterfall. The pond holds approximately 75-100 gallons
of water (city water). It has a 170 gph pump that is running all the time
to circulate the water via a small multi-shelf waterfall.

Can anyone suggest any good web sites where I can learn more about the
required water maintenance for a pond without fish or plants?

With no fish or plants, I'd just treat it like a small swimming pool (without
the chlorination...just some algacide on occasion). Other than topping off the
water, I can't see how a lot of maintenance would be required for something
indoors.
Old 20-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:10:04 -0700
Andy Hill wrote:

"Vinnie Murdico"
wrote:
We just built a new, small (above-ground) pond inside our screened
patio here in Florida. It will *not* contain fish or plants -- it
will just be a simple pond with a waterfall. The pond holds
approximately 75-100 gallons of water (city water). It has a 170 gph
pump that is running all the time to circulate the water via a small
multi-shelf waterfall.

Can anyone suggest any good web sites where I can learn more about
the required water maintenance for a pond without fish or plants?

With no fish or plants, I'd just treat it like a small swimming pool
(without the chlorination...just some algacide on occasion). Other
than topping off the water, I can't see how a lot of maintenance would
be required for something indoors.

With no fish and no chlorine it might be a good idea to use mosquito
dunks, too.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.

Old 22-01-2004, 11:15 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Basically, but putting in fish & plants isn't that big a deal or people
like me wouldn't have 3 ponds, 2 small above ground ponds, one of which is
inside, and half a dozen aquariums. The biggest maintenance headache people
get into when it comes to ponds is trying to support too many fish. Your
little pond with plants could support 2 fantail goldfish with a small
bucket filter around the pump easy. Maintenance would be small water
changes (10-20 gallons twice a month). All you'd need is something to
dechlorinate the water or do like my MIL and just let it dechlorinate out
in a tub between changes. If you have problems than we could discuss water
tests to fix the problem, or remove the fish and plants and go with
chlorine tabs. ~ jan

See my patio pond by clicking on *My Pond Photos* Page 1, 4, 6 & 8,
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Does this mean I should treat the water in the pond the way I treat the
water in the spa?

-- Vinnie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 22-01-2004, 11:15 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Anne Lurie

"Cybe R. Wizard" Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower
With no fish and no chlorine it might be a good idea to use mosquito
dunks, too.

If it's moving water on a screened patio, wouldn't mosquito dunks be
unnecessary? Or are you just suggesting that it's best to be proactive
rather than reactive?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 25-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Cybe R. Wizard

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:45:07 GMT
"Anne Lurie" wrote:

"Cybe R. Wizard" Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower
With no fish and no chlorine it might be a good idea to use mosquito
dunks, too.

If it's moving water on a screened patio, wouldn't mosquito dunks be
unnecessary? Or are you just suggesting that it's best to be
proactive rather than reactive?

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Probably unnecessary, although I've been bitten in screened areas. Did
I miss the part about the screened patio?

Cybe R. Wizard -eyes getting older
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.
"Wize(ned) Wizard," A.P.F-P-Y.
Barely Tolerated Wizard, A.J.L & A.A.L

New pond owner needs help JGOverbeck Ponds (moderated) 16 24-03-2007 08:29 PM
New pond owner Wanna be Tom P Ponds 59 17-05-2006 01:22 AM
New pond owner needs some advice hotpepper Ponds (alternative) 0 14-09-2005 12:31 PM
new pond owner questions Deswinds Ponds (alternative) 3 15-08-2003 05:05 AM
new pond owner questions Deswinds Ponds 3 12-08-2003 02:48 PM