Old 20-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Dave

Default Digging a tiny pond to attract wildlife

I'm digging a small pond at a point that will collect runoff water
from a wooded area. I'm hoping to attract wildlife and perhaps a few
frogs. I'm hoping a few goldfish will control the mosquito production.
The planned size is perhaps 8 x 10 feet. I'm still trying to determine
whether a liner will be required. I would like to know the optimum
depth and contour and what plantings would be good. This is a shady
wooded area near St. Louis. Perhaps someone could point me to a small
pond FAQ? Thanks.
Old 22-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Dave

"Cybe R. Wizard" Cybe_R_Wizard@WizardsTower wrote in message news:20040121084925.79fad3b5.Cybe_R_Wizard@Wizard sTower...
[...]
In your position I think I'd get an experimental piece of heavy tarp or
a discarded pool liner to use. Dig, pile, shape, trim pre-liner as you
like it. After it's just like you want, tear it all back out (leave the
hole). You now have a template to use on your 'real' liner and have
done all the nasty work without having to risk harm to the 'real' thing.
It will also help to gauge the amount of runoff you actually get. I've
been/very/ surprised at how much water runs down my little valley.

Cybe R. Wizard

The trick might be getting it dug properly and getting a liner in it
before it fills. I almost hope it does leak so that I will have more
time.

Old 24-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Anne Lurie

Here's the FAQ site for rec.ponds:
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

om...

Old 25-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Dave

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message om...

Here's the FAQ site for rec.ponds:
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html

Anne Lurie

Thanks. I wish it included info on how and where frogs hibernate. This
is critical to deciding how I will construct my pond.
Old 25-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Ka30P

Dave wrote Thanks. I wish it included info on how and where frogs hibernate.
This
is critical to deciding how I will construct my pond.

Depends on the frog.
Some frogs, such as bullfrogs and leopard frogs, spend the winter at the bottom
of the pond.
Other frogs, such as the tree and chorus frogs, spend their winters in leaf
litter and under logs.

Frogs that winter under water like a bit of mud, some leaf litter or a tub of
nice mud to hang out in.
Most importantly they need a hole kept open in the ice. This allows built up
gasses from decomposing pond matter to leave the pond. Since our garden ponds
are usually over stocked and over planted this is important. Mother Nature
usually doesn't have this to worry about.

ka30p
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html