Old 31-01-2004, 06:35 AM
jrock64

Default Mag drive pump impeller

Is it spring yet.
been -10f for the last week.

When I shut down my pond last fall, I took the housing off of my MAG 1800
pump.
I noticed that the shaft was a little rough to slightly gouged in the center
of the shaft but no more than an 1/8 inch deep. Must have ground up some
snails that got in there.

As I was shopping for replacement pads for my skimmer I noticed that they
also have replacement impellers.

My pump is two years old.
When if ever and why would you need to replace an impeller in a Mag Drive
pump???
Do they need to be replaced because the magnets wear out???

Too cold to pond but I can drean and plan for next year.

Zone 4
NW Iowa

JROCK
..

Old 31-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Bonnie

jrock64 wrote:

When if ever and why would you need to replace an impeller in a Mag Drive
pump???
Zone 4
NW Iowa

JROCK
.

I had to replace mine when a crack developed.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 31-01-2004, 07:21 PM
john rutz

jrock64 wrote:
Is it spring yet. been -10f for the last week.

When I shut down my pond last fall, I took the housing off of my MAG
1800 pump. I noticed that the shaft was a little rough to slightly
gouged in the center of the shaft but no more than an 1/8 inch deep.
Must have ground up some snails that got in there.

As I was shopping for replacement pads for my skimmer I noticed that
they also have replacement impellers.

My pump is two years old. When if ever and why would you need to
replace an impeller in a Mag Drive pump??? Do they need to be
replaced because the magnets wear out???

Too cold to pond but I can drean and plan for next year.

Zone 4 NW Iowa

JROCK .

I had one of mine do that and had to replace the magnet and impeller,
the new set is a three peice instad of two aparently to prevent the

shaft geting damaged if the impeler stops spinnig and the magnet keeps
spinning

John R

Old 31-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Offbreed

Michael Shaffer wrote:

By the way, sand really screws up the magnet and impeller. Every time we
get a hard rain mud gets into my pond and I've had to replace the magnet
twice.

Mind checking your calender?

Old 01-02-2004, 01:43 AM
RichToyBox

There is a very weak point that is the bearing at the outboard end of the
impeller. It breaks, and then the impeller turns against the side of the
pump housing and it causes it to become scored. Once the bearing has been
gone long enough, the impeller will rest against the pump housing and refuse
to start rotating. If you are seeing the scores, then I think it is time to
replace the impeller. The price is very low.
--
RichToyBox

Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
matrix

Mine have broken in the past, i just J.B. Weld them back together.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
matrix

Mine have broken in the past, i just J.B. Weld them back together.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:17 AM
StarCrwzr

Dropping the impeller assembly from four feet onto concrete is usually
grounds for replacement. Duh. I speak with experience here.

--
Scott Baker

FS: 1800gph mag-drive pump Mike Ponds 1 20-05-2005 02:51 AM
Mag-Drive #36 pump broken :( Michael Shaffer Ponds 3 16-06-2003 11:20 PM
PondMaster Mag-Drive 36 problems Michael Shaffer Ponds 7 08-06-2003 07:32 PM
Comments on Brands of Mag Drive Pumps Daniel Z Ponds 0 29-04-2003 09:56 AM
FS: Mag drive 18 pump Mike Ponds 0 21-03-2003 04:32 AM