Old 08-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Bryan

Default Pond Liner Pricing - EPDM vs Permalon

Permalon over 45mil EPDM? Can you explain? Just because of shipping weight,
or is it stroger, more durable, last longer?

Here's my situation: Pond is about 19-20' long, 8' wide at the widest,
crescent shape, about 3' at the deepest, plant shelves along the sides
(which need to be made deeper when I put in new liner). I live in OK, zone
6, I think, so not real harsh winter, about 2-3 weeks total of below
freezing all winter long. Summer 100+ for 30-100 days. Potential for
tornados & hail (hasn't yet [knock, knock]). As for shipping weight, they
were closed today so I didn't get to call and see shipping, and if pick up
is an option/same price, but they are based about 25-30 min drive away,
nuthin' compared to shipping savings. Closest price I found to $.42/ft was
$.54/ft about 5 miles away, but at 600ft that's a $72 difference.

So in long I guess I'm asking what's the difference, advantages/disavantages
of one over the other?

OK, read some sites while typing this. So it says a 20mil permalon is 4-5x
stonger than 45-60mil EPDM?! BUT yet only carries a 1 year warrenty vs 20yrs
of EPDM. One site says EPDM is "high elongation" meaning it has streach,
able to streach over objects if the ground shifts. I assume they mean like
side errosion, it would streach to fit new size. Permalon says it's strong
enough to support it's self in side errosion. I don't expect this in my
situation, possibly tree roots groing in, turtles, snakes etc moving in.
Which is right for me? Price is similar $.42 EPDM $.39 Permalon

Sorry for long, babbling post. Hopes this makes sence (I'm confused on what
to buy!)

Bryan

"john rutz" wrote in message

Hal wrote:
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:18:56 -0600, "Bryan"
wrote:

Permalon is lighter easier to work with and stronger. I have about a
300 gallon of EPDM and a 1000 gallon pond with a bottom drain of
Permalon and would go with permalon if I did it again.

Regards,

Hal

I also vote for Permalon it can be gotten from kencofish.com

Old 08-02-2004, 05:12 PM
KenCo

Bryan wrote:

Permalon over 45mil EPDM? Can you explain? Just because of shipping weight,
or is it stroger, more durable, last longer?

all of the above

As for shipping weight, they
were closed today so I didn't get to call and see shipping, and if pick up
is an option/same price, but they are based about 25-30 min drive away,
nuthin' compared to shipping savings. Closest price I found to $.42/ft was
$.54/ft about 5 miles away, but at 600ft that's a $72 difference.

EPDM .45 mil = 450 lbs per 1000 sq ft.
Permalon = 70 lbs per 1000 sq ft.

So in long I guess I'm asking what's the difference, advantages/disavantages
of one over the other?

OK, read some sites while typing this. So it says a 20mil permalon is 4-5x
stonger than 45-60mil EPDM?! BUT yet only carries a 1 year warrenty vs 20yrs
of EPDM.

1 yr "unconditional" vs 20 yr manuf. defect and HAS to
be "Pond liner" not roofing material.

both have expected lifes of 50 yrs or so.

One site says EPDM is "high elongation" meaning it has streach,
able to streach over objects if the ground shifts. I assume they mean like
side errosion, it would streach to fit new size. Permalon says it's strong
enough to support it's self in side errosion. I don't expect this in my
situation, possibly tree roots groing in, turtles, snakes etc moving in.
Which is right for me? Price is similar $.42 EPDM $.39 Permalon

lighter/stronger hmmm ......
next, the service after the sale is the most important factor,
not the few cents price diff..
..

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 08-02-2004, 07:15 PM
fuerjefe

.

wrote:

Permalon is lighter easier to work with and stronger. I have about a
300 gallon of EPDM and a 1000 gallon pond with a bottom drain of
Permalon and would go with permalon if I did it again.

Regards,

Hal

I also vote for Permalon it can be gotten from kencofish.com

heres my 1 cents on the diff

when I put in my second pond it was 10x 20 ft and took six of us two
hours to wrestle the EPDM into place, the last pond is 25x 50 ft and
took me and my wife 30 min to put the permalon into place,
I have driven a backhoe and my pickup[ into the pond when needed without
dammaging the permalon, not so the epdm

John Rutz

John Rutz

Old 08-02-2004, 10:00 PM
John Bachman

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:22:59 -0700, fuerjefe
wrote:

when I put in my second pond it was 10x 20 ft and took six of us two
hours to wrestle the EPDM into place, the last pond is 25x 50 ft and
took me and my wife 30 min to put the permalon into place,
I have driven a backhoe and my pickup[ into the pond when needed without
dammaging the permalon, not so the epdm

OK, I want to know. Why did you drive your pickup into the pond?
Cannot wait to hear the answer.

All ears, err . . . eyes.

John

Old 14-02-2004, 01:32 AM
fuerjefe

wrote:.

OK, I want to know. Why did you drive your pickup into the pond?
Cannot wait to hear the answer.

All ears, err . . . eyes.

John

ROFLMAO

would you believe to pull the cattails out?? they had taken over the
veggiebog "filter"
I had to get right up agaist them otherwise they pulled out of the ropes
guess I realy shoulda got some pics of the op[eration

John Rutz

EPDM pond liner.. best pricing?? Gareee© Ponds 5 09-04-2004 12:32 AM
Pond Liner Pricing Bryan Ponds 9 07-02-2004 06:36 PM
Pond Liner Pricing Bryan Ponds 0 06-02-2004 10:05 AM
Pond Liner Pricing Bryan Ponds 0 06-02-2004 09:01 AM
Polypropylene VS EPDM VS Permalon Han Chung Ponds 2 17-01-2004 06:13 PM