GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   To Pump or Not To Pump (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/52954-pump-not-pump.html)

Robert Ramirez 19-02-2004 02:54 AM

To Pump or Not To Pump

Hi All,

As a fairly new ponder (first winter) I have wondered all winter long (Texas
winter mind you) if I'm even supposed to be running the pump and fountain
during this season.

Thanks.

Tom La Bron 19-02-2004 02:59 AM

To Pump or Not To Pump

Bob,

Don't were you live in Texas, but I live in North Central Oklahoma and my
pump is still running. I did put a small volume pump on for the winter
though, decreasing my flow frojm 4,000 gph to about 2,000 gph.

Tom L.L.
--------------------------------------

BenignVanilla 19-02-2004 09:03 PM

To Pump or Not To Pump

"Robert Ramirez" wrote in message
Hi All,

As a fairly new ponder (first winter) I have wondered all winter long

(Texas
winter mind you) if I'm even supposed to be running the pump and fountain
during this season.

I have a bottom drain, so I do not run my pump. I slightly buy into the idea
of not circulating the colder top water with my warmer bottom water. Also,
my VF is very shallow, so I am not sure I could even make this work if I
wanted to. On the other hand, my neighbor runs his pump all year long to
keep a hole in the ice. So he has circulation of his water layers, and as
far as I know has never lost a pond full of fish even in some of our past
harsh winter. BTW, I am in MD. Near Baltimore. I guess zone 6.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com