Old 23-02-2004, 01:36 AM
cowboy

Default How did you get power for your water pumps??

The location that I want to put my koi pond is at the other end of my
yard, away from any power outlets from my house. How did you
guys/gals get power to your pumps?

I am also in Oklahoma City, so if anyone here has any good ideas such
as plant life that grows good here it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 23-02-2004, 03:40 AM
RichToyBox

I trenched power to a post type outlet when I first started ponding. After
I built my third pond, I continued the power to my shed, which is where my
filter systems are now. I did not want to have to dig to the 18 or 24 inch
depth that the code requires for direct burial, so I encased my wires in pvc
conduit to make it much harder to damage with a shovel. Some on here have
run permanent extension cords around the property on the fence.
--
RichToyBox

om...

Old 23-02-2004, 04:32 AM
BenignVanilla

"cowboy" wrote in message
om...
The location that I want to put my koi pond is at the other end of my
yard, away from any power outlets from my house. How did you
guys/gals get power to your pumps?

I am also in Oklahoma City, so if anyone here has any good ideas such
as plant life that grows good here it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

The only truely safe solution is a circuit installed to local codes, IE
buried in conduit, with a ground fault interupter installed. Water and
'lectricity don't mix very well.

Now, I'll step down off my soap box and admit, that my pond is powered by a
bright orange extension code that sits in the mulch along the fence, as I
have been much to lazy to do it properly.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 23-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Bob H

Had a extension cord, then one weekend I was feeling like I had NOTHING
better to do and started digging, code here requires 18" deep with a gfci, I
met code, got everything signed off and I must say I am glad to rid myself
of the tangle of wires in the yard....I must mention, my soil IS ROCCCCCKY
It took me the better part of the weekend to dig the trench.....felt like I
was digging to china you will be amazed on how deep 20" is when you are
digging a narrow little trench through really, really rocky soil.

om...

Old 23-02-2004, 08:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The only truely safe solution is a circuit installed to local codes, IE
buried in conduit, with a ground fault interupter installed. Water and
'lectricity don't mix very well.

Yup, did this after 7 years.

Now, I'll step down off my soap box and admit, that my pond is powered by a
bright orange extension code that sits in the mulch along the fence, as I
have been much to lazy to do it properly. BV.

And did the above prior to the permanent install. I had to run 150' of
extension cord, luckily 100' was next to the house on mulch or steppings
stones and the next 50' down the fence line on mulch. No place where it
could be mowed, tripped over, or cut through. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 23-02-2004, 09:32 AM
jammer

A nice meal and a bl

never mind

(just kidding, i still dont have electricity out there either)

Old 23-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Steve J. Noll

Came out of the back of an interior outlet in an outside wall
using a weatherproof Bell box. Put a GFI outlet there and then
continued on in rigid galvanized steel electrical conduit in a fairly
shallow trench to the pond. (Even more rugged than PVC.) Put two
GFI outlets in the pond equipment pit - one for the lights, one for
the pump and UV. Should have put in a third so the pump & UV each had
their own. Got a permit first.

On 22 Feb 2004 16:31:47 -0800, (cowboy) wrote:

The location that I want to put my koi pond is at the other end of my
yard, away from any power outlets from my house. How did you
guys/gals get power to your pumps?

I am also in Oklahoma City, so if anyone here has any good ideas such
as plant life that grows good here it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California
http://www.kissingfrogs.tv
Old 23-02-2004, 04:37 PM

in our area of wisconsin I can attach pvc pipe to the fence and run the wire thru
that. it is "code". Ingrid

John Hines wrote:

(cowboy) wrote:

The location that I want to put my koi pond is at the other end of my
yard, away from any power outlets from my house. How did you
guys/gals get power to your pumps?

Extension cord, they come in long outdoor versions.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 23-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Ka30P

We hired an electrician to do it.
We dug the trench for him, with the help of large football playing neighbor
teenager for the rocks from heck, to the specifications the electrician gave
us. Had the city inspect it.
Since I was doing before and after school care and always had tons of kids in
the backyard anyway it was a wise choice for us.

kathy :-)