Old 23-02-2004, 03:32 AM
BenignVanilla

Default Piranha in the River Thames?

Yes. Read about that and more of the latest fishy *yuck yuck* news stories,
at
http://www.iheartmypond.com/topiclis...ews%20Stories.

--
BV.
WebPorgmaster

Old 23-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Chris & Jacqui Tondreau

"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
Yes. Read about that and more of the latest fishy *yuck yuck* news

stories,
at

http://www.iheartmypond.com/topiclis...ews%20Stories.

--
BV.
WebPorgmaster
www.IHeartMyPond.com
Help Support IHMP by shopping at Amazon.com thru our associates link,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...me/dcg8118-20.

A piranha was also pulled out of the Grand River near Caledonia, ON, a few
years ago. I believe some kids caught it while fishing. Ooops! Not quite
what you'd expect!!

Jacqui

Old 23-02-2004, 07:30 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

Yes.

They turn up periodically, as people get tired of feeding them.

Which is why places where they _could_ survive in the wild usually have
laws against keeping them.

Old 23-02-2004, 09:45 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" wrote:

Yes.

They turn up periodically, as people get tired of feeding them.

Which is why places where they _could_ survive in the wild usually have
laws against keeping them.

I wonder if they would survive the winter up here in Zone 6ish, MD. I am
seriously considering turning my Koi pond into a Pirahna pond, after some
reasearch to see if it would be safe for the fish.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 23-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote I am
seriously considering turning my Koi pond into a Pirahna pond

Is that to take care of the rosie red minnows?

kathy :-)

Old 23-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote I am

Old 23-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Andy Hill

"BenignVanilla" wrote:
"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
I wonder if they would survive the winter up here in Zone 6ish, MD. I am
seriously considering turning my Koi pond into a Pirahna pond, after some
reasearch to see if it would be safe for the fish.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Considering that Piranha's are tropicals (ideal temp range 75-80 F), I doubt
you'd have winter survival without a *big* pond heater.

Old 24-02-2004, 05:16 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We visited Brazil a while ago. Up in the Amazon they are generally amused
by our terror of these little guys. They can be a pain, but very seldom
are, even in the Amazon. I concur about our waters. Much below 60 and they
are...not toast...but frozen out.

Jim
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 24-02-2004, 04:21 PM
BenignVanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message

BV wrote I am
seriously considering turning my Koi pond into a Pirahna pond

Is that to take care of the rosie red minnows?

snip

Ugh. I went back to the pond this weekend. There is one dead frog that I can
see. The Koi were swimming about, but stayed down low. The minnows...oh the
minnows. Just about every one of them has grown over the winter. I expect, I
will be able to walk across the pond on their backs by mid-summer.

Anyone in the MD area looking for feeders, I'll be having a sale in Spring.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com