GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   livestock pond info wanted (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/53600-livestock-pond-info-wanted.html)

HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING 25-02-2004 03:32 AM

livestock pond info wanted

any info on invasive aquatic weed control in livestock ponds would be
most appreciated. specifically, large infestation of duckweed on acre
of water that supports fish and livestock and wildlife

Snooze 25-02-2004 04:08 AM

livestock pond info wanted

"HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING" wrote in message
any info on invasive aquatic weed control in livestock ponds would be
most appreciated. specifically, large infestation of duckweed on acre
of water that supports fish and livestock and wildlife

Just toss a few gold fish, or carp into the pond. They aren't going to
bother the livestock, although if you have a lot of run-off from the fields,
the water is going to pick up a lot of nitrates from the urine and manure.

So the pond is going to be constantly green with algae. I suppose you could
constantly dump commercial livestock safe herbicides into the water.

Read the first article in this newsletter
http://www.ces.uga.edu/agriculture/a...2002MarApr.pdf

Sameer

BenignVanilla 25-02-2004 02:46 PM

livestock pond info wanted

"HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING" wrote in message
any info on invasive aquatic weed control in livestock ponds would be
most appreciated. specifically, large infestation of duckweed on acre
of water that supports fish and livestock and wildlife

Bag it up and sell it to porgs. LOL.

More seriously, my backyard pond was covered in duckweed last year, and the
fish took care of it.

BV.

HARRYLEHMANHORSELOGGING 06-03-2004 05:37 AM

livestock pond info wanted

thanks for the input on koi. i am a bit reluctant,but am gonna look
further into this. The pond has bass and blue gill, frogs too. Geese and
dux hang out, and well as the green and blue herons. it's a nifty spot,
and I see that this duck weed is just wrecking it for fishing and
irrigation.