Old 25-02-2004, 02:56 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Koi Breeding Idear

OK, so I was thinking...Jim made the interesting point that with my pond
full of minnows, I probably have slim to no chance of my Koi/Goldfish from
pulling off a spawning. So I was thinking, what if I moved some Koi to the
VF? It's shallow, only 18 inches deep or so. I was thinking they could spawn
in the VF, and then I'll move them back...and...uh...this is just
stupid...forget it.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 25-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Bonnie

BenignVanilla wrote:
OK, so I was thinking...Jim made the interesting point that with my pond
full of minnows, I probably have slim to no chance of my Koi/Goldfish from
pulling off a spawning. So I was thinking, what if I moved some Koi to the
VF? It's shallow, only 18 inches deep or so. I was thinking they could spawn
in the VF, and then I'll move them back...and...uh...this is just
stupid...forget it.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

I think your koi, if they decided to spawn, would tear up
your veggie filter in short order. If they decided they
didn't like the veggie filter, it's very possible that they
would jump.
I must say that my fish have spawned with a large number of
rosie reds in the same pond. True, I don't have a hugh
number of survivors but I do have more than I want every year.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Lee B.

You would probably do better by adding some spawning media to the pond, and
removing it to the veggie filter as soon as "the deed is done". String mop
heads, nylon rope that has been untwisted to make a fuzzy mess (secure one
end first, though) and similar things can be used to encourage breeding.
Once the spawn is over, promptly remove the media to a safe area. Your
chances of survivors will be greatly enhanced.

Caveat: be careful what you wish for - you may get it G!

Lee

Old 26-02-2004, 01:28 PM
BenignVanilla

"Lee B." wrote in message
You would probably do better by adding some spawning media to the pond,

and
removing it to the veggie filter as soon as "the deed is done". String mop
heads, nylon rope that has been untwisted to make a fuzzy mess (secure one
end first, though) and similar things can be used to encourage breeding.
Once the spawn is over, promptly remove the media to a safe area. Your
chances of survivors will be greatly enhanced.

snip

I think this year, I may just let it all be. I am sure I will be very busy
with getting the VF jump started, the leaves pulled out, etc. And then there
is that slow leak in the stream. As much as I like to, I just don't have the
time to play surrogate spawner. LOL.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 01-03-2004, 06:19 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I think this year, I may just let it all be. I am sure I will be very busy
with getting the VF jump started, the leaves pulled out, etc. And then there
is that slow leak in the stream. As much as I like to, I just don't have the
time to play surrogate spawner. LOL.
BV.

Wise man. When I want babies I put in a few water hyacinths during "that
time of the year" and it works like an aphrodisiac on my koi. They usually
spawn in 12 hours, I just have to remove it quick enough before they eat
eggs & hyacinths.

Btw, I've only done this once, finding homes for all the babies was almost
impossible, but EVERYONE should go through this once, RIGHT?!!!!!

I love the fish having kids, but have found more satisfaction, less work,
plus worth money or store credit, in breeding my fantail goldfish. ~ jan

Old 02-03-2004, 07:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
[...]

I've had a few requests for some fish this year from some friend and family
that had a loss or two, so I am not too concerned about an over-abundance.
It's those damn minnows that are going to be an issue...I know it.

BV.

Old 03-03-2004, 04:07 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I've had a few requests for some fish this year from some friend and family
that had a loss or two, so I am not too concerned about an over-abundance.
It's those damn minnows that are going to be an issue...I know it.
BV.

You've got a head start. I think I ended up populating quite a few ponds
with my fish's get and I know some of the eggs were responsible for the
building of large pond, instead of the water trough they originally went
home to. ;o)

~ jan

Koi fish breeding, need help? Dxbuae Ponds (moderated) 0 10-03-2011 09:18 PM
CHICAGO: Breeding pair of Koi Angels (local pickup only) Suzmyers Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 21-01-2005 01:54 PM
Koi Breeding Idea Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 0 26-02-2004 01:42 AM
Koi Breeding Chad Ponds 1 10-12-2003 06:02 AM
koi breeding [email protected] Ponds 13 30-04-2003 01:56 AM