Old 27-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Richard Holub

Default Bog garden

I am planning on setting up a bog garden this summer and have a question
in ref. to liners. After doing some reading I noticed that some people
recommend digging the whole and lining it up with a cheap liner, then
making holes in the bottom for slow drainage. I plan on eventually
building a pond for fish alongside the bog garden. The bog garden I
plan to use as a filter. Size of bog ~10'W x 20'L x 18"D

1. I plan on using a good quality liner with some type of pvc piping at
the bottom to help distribute the incoming water from the future pond.
I want to use this pipe system to help me partially drain the bog for
the winter. Is it a good idea to drain the bog?

2. If I do not poke holes in the bottom of the liner, will the bog
garden begin to putrefy? THe bog garden will probably stand alone for a
couple of years until I get time to build my pond.

Old 27-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Sam Hopkins

Your bog garden will start to stink at the the depth of where there is water
and no oxygen (regardless of whether or not you poke holes). However, if
there's no O2 getting to it then it won't stink because obviosuly there's no
air getting to it. Once you dig it up it might stink for a day or two but
that's about it.

Sam

hlink.net...

Old 27-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Ka30P

A bog in nature is fairly quiet. The water stays there and turns acid from the
rotting plants which the bog plants love.

A marsh works to filter the water, it gets 'cleaned' as it works its way down.

The problem with nature's ponds and bogs and marshes is that they are made to
fill in. This recycling makes for nice fertile soil.

I would build your bog/plant filter with a mind to keeping it from clogging up
and filling up with plants.

Believe me I have lots of experience with this problem. Bog one filled in with
plants and the water that I was decanting into it started backing up and
heading the wrong direction.

Bog two, which is free standing and not a filter is filling up with plants too
and they are darn hard to weed.

Were I to do this all again I would build a plant filter with an eye to
maintenance with bottom drains, plant baskets full of pea gravel (I think),
yearly plant dividing and getting that gravel cleaned out.

My best plant filter is the raft of water hyacinths that I float in the top of
my 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank that is hidden at the back of my waterfall.
The water goes out over a wide waterfall that grows in with grasses and
watercress and needs to be weeded 2 to 3 times a year.

kathy :-)

Old 28-02-2004, 12:36 AM
RichToyBox

I think it depends on the type of bog plants that you are growing.
http://www.pitcherplant.com/ specializes in pitcher plants and other
carnivorous plants. The marshes and bogs are very low in nitrogen and very
acid, therefore they recommend the cheap liner with holes in the bottom.
This type of bog is good near the pond for some of the exotic plants, but
not recommended as a plant filter system. For plant filter systems, with
water flowing from the pond, you would want the same good liner that you
would want for the pond.
--
RichToyBox

Old 29-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Richard Holub

OK Sam,

Are you saying that the bog garden is going to stink while I stand next
to it or only if I disturbe the bottom?

Rich

Old 29-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Richard Holub

Hi RIch,

I think I am going to go with filling in my bog trench with 3/8" gravel
and plant bog plants in containers for the first time. To see what
goes! Along the edge of the bog I will probably build at a 45 or 20
deg. incline and fill with garden soil (mostly clayish soil). Here I
will plant "moisture" loving plants and see how it takes.

Rich Holub

Old 29-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Richard Holub

Hi Kathy,

Any suggestions on the idea of draining the bog for the winter?

Rich Holub

Shaded Bog Garden Tim United Kingdom 9 20-04-2004 01:05 AM
Bog Garden: Episode II BenignVanilla Ponds 28 04-03-2004 10:37 AM
bog garden liner Richard Holub Ponds (alternative) 2 01-03-2004 01:32 AM
Bog garden Muriel Ponds 1 20-01-2004 06:02 AM
Problem Area - Bog Garden? Bot Grl Gardening 9 24-02-2003 02:51 AM