Old 05-03-2004, 05:26 AM
RussellinMD

Default Pump Filters constantly clogging

I live in Maryland and my pond is about 5 years old. Last summer I
had to clean the pump filters once a month as they would get so
clogged the water falls would stop. I replaced the UV bulb last
summer and have inserted new filters with no improvement. What can I
do to prevent this from re-occuring this year?
Old 05-03-2004, 05:27 AM
Sam Hopkins

The bigger your filter the less quickly it will fill up....

Your filter media might also be overly fine. You should filter with media
with big holes first, smaller holes second and so on...

Sam

om...

Old 05-03-2004, 05:27 AM
BenignVanilla

"RussellinMD" wrote in message
om...
I live in Maryland and my pond is about 5 years old. Last summer I
had to clean the pump filters once a month as they would get so
clogged the water falls would stop. I replaced the UV bulb last
summer and have inserted new filters with no improvement. What can I
do to prevent this from re-occuring this year?

Convert to a VF pond.

BV.
Ducks and runs for cover.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Coffee

Where is your pump located---out or under the water--Is it connected to a
plastic line or is it a drop in with hose?
Patty

Old 05-03-2004, 05:28 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Also, how big is the pond?. How big is the pump? What are you using to
filter the water? Where is the filter?

Lots of variables, eh.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 05-03-2004, 02:52 PM
BenignVanilla

"Broomhilda" wrote in message
hlink.net...
What is a VF pond?

snip

In over simplified terms (my disclaimer) there are basically two ways to
filter your pond. One is a biofilter setup where artificial media like
bioballs or lava rock provide surface area for your clean up crew to live
on. The fish produce waste, the bio-crew cleans it up. The second method is
a Veggie Filter or VF. In it's simplest form it can be a second pond that is
at a minimum 10% the surface area of the main pond, and is way overplanted
with plants. The roots of the plants do the filtration.

BV.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Peggy

Depending on the type of pump you use, I use the pre filter with the 1/4
rabbit wire mesh made using this link. I don't clean it all summer.
Anything smaller than 1/4 inch is not going to hurt my impeller.

http://www.perigee.net/~jrjohns/web20.html

Old 12-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Russell,

Do you have fine mesh or screen before the pump? That got us into trouble
when we first had a pond. Constant clogs from algae and muck. Post-filters
and no fine mesh has solved that problem entirely.

We have a 5 gal bucket around our immersed pump.
Hundreds of 1/2" holes in the bucket. (Pump can handle 1/2" junk)
The water rises through 55 gal barrels that grab big junk in strapping tape.
The barrels are drained each year via 2" pipes in the bottom.
The water moves through 5' pools (12-18" deep) of plants and back over our
falls.
Pools collect muck and are drained each spring.
We have never had a clog.
We have no fine screening or mesh to clog. The slow move through the plant
roots does what the screening does