Old 08-03-2004, 01:12 AM
aslng

Default Dead lily? where to buy hardy water lily?

1) My lily leaves became smaller and smaller during the last summer. Now, I
am not sure if it's dead. Rhizome has many roots but no leaf this year so
far. The Rhizome is dark brown color. How could I tell if it's dead?

2) What's the ideal pot size for hardy lily? Is 12 inches ok? I read some

3) Any suggestion where to buy hardy water lily? Good price with reasonable
quality. Online? Any suggested stores?

I live in Santa Rose (Northern California).

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Tom La Bron

Sorry aslng,

Almost ever year I sell hardy lilies for postage costs, but last year I
tried something different and planted mine in pea gravel and they didn't
grow at all, so no extra plants this year from me. I guy that I know is
moving and will be shutting down his pond for the move and he unusually has
lots of lilies. If I get some divisions from him I will let you and others
on the list know of availability.

Some of the home and garden places like LOWES sell them in the Spring, but
last year the prices on LOWES plants really shot up. You used to be able to
get some for about 5 bucks, but they jumped up the 12 dollar range last year
for some reason. You can also get lilies from suppliers on the net, you
just have to look.

Good luck.

Tom L.L.
===================================
news

Old 08-03-2004, 07:34 AM
adavisus

1) My lily leaves became smaller and smaller during the last summer. Now, I
am not sure if it's dead. Rhizome has many roots but no leaf this year so
far. The Rhizome is dark brown color. How could I tell if it's dead?

Sounds bad, it could be water lily root rot, a terminal fungal disease
specific to waterlilies. It takes a lot to kill a water lily and once
in a pond, it's going to disease water lilies planted therein the
future. Only a few varieties are strong enough to outgrow that
disease, for example the native white alba.

Cu drain pond. Remove and burn all soil and Lily remnants. Rinse
all surfaces with a strong chlorox bleach solution. Rinse and repeat.
Happy days...

Diseased plants are FREQUENTLY dumped on message boards for 'free' or
trades and sale as 'going cheap' by folk who know something is wrong
and have no scruples as to getting replacement plants. I've even found
infected rhisome sections inserted into potting soil of marginal
plants by unscrupulous traders

2) What's the ideal pot size for hardy lily? Is 12 inches ok? I read some

Feeder roots on water lilies are only about 4" to 6" deep. Any deeper
is absolutely totally pointless...

3) Any suggestion where to buy hardy water lily? Good price with reasonable
quality. Online? Any suggested stores?

There are several dedicated water gardeners on e-bay selling named
varieties, with good photo's and descriptions, these you can research
on the web for their growing habits.

The 'big shed' stores sell imported boxed plants of doubtful identity,
often invasive mislabeled varieties. Lowes has carried a small
selection of fairly good varieties in recent years

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
Old 08-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Bryan

Can't help with the old(dead) lillies or potting.

But Last 2 years I've gotten some "hardy" lillies at walmart in early
spring. About $5. They all did really well, bloomed even in the first year.
they came bare root in a soil filled bag. A local nusery sold some for about
the same price. I too noticed lowes price last year. I can a lot of potting
for the $10-$15 dollar higher price of the bare root bargins.

Bryan

news

Old 16-03-2004, 07:12 AM
aslng

I cut the Rhizome to 3 sections and re-pot them a week ago. Add some
fertilizer sticks. Now, I saw quite a few leaves coming out. Though, they
are very very tiny. I am not sure if the leaves will be even smaller than
what I had last year. Anyway, the lily hasn't died yet. Any suggestion how
to make the lilies to grow bigger and stronger?

Before I found my old lilies were alive, I bought another one from Yard bird
(for $25). Walmart in our area (Rohnert Park, Northern California) don't
carry water lily. Lowe is too far away from where I live.

Thanks.

"Bryan" wrote in message
Can't help with the old(dead) lillies or potting.

But Last 2 years I've gotten some "hardy" lillies at walmart in early
spring. About $5. They all did really well, bloomed even in the first

year.
they came bare root in a soil filled bag. A local nusery sold some for

about
the same price. I too noticed lowes price last year. I can a lot of

potting
for the $10-$15 dollar higher price of the bare root bargins.

Bryan

news

Old 17-03-2004, 04:09 AM
RichToyBox

Just keep them fertilized. I fertilize mine at least once a month during
the growing season, and while they are in bloom, every two weeks. They love
fertilizer. I don't know if you can put in too much.
--
RichToyBox

. com...

"Bryan" wrote in message
Can't help with the old(dead) lillies or potting.

But Last 2 years I've gotten some "hardy" lillies at walmart in early
spring. About $5. They all did really well, bloomed even in the first

year.
they came bare root in a soil filled bag. A local nusery sold some for

about
the same price. I too noticed lowes price last year. I can a lot of

potting
for the $10-$15 dollar higher price of the bare root bargins.

Bryan

news

Old 17-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Happy'Cam'per

They love
fertilizer. I don't know if you can put in too much.
--

Like LSD, less, is more

Old 18-03-2004, 09:33 AM
joe

Hmmm, never heard that.

Joe

On 3/16/04 11:14 PM, "Happy'Cam'per" wrote:

Like LSD, less, is more