Old 13-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default UV and dead fry Bum rap for mosquito fish?

Hal wrote:

A fish farmer that used to hang around here mentioned they kill off
microaquatics eaten by hatching fry. So, if you use UV and want to
raise fry you need to feed them and he suggested boiled egg yoke.

Does anyone with a UV have a good batch of hatchlings? If the UV really
takes out the fry food, that could explain why I have not had babies for a
while...maybe the mosquito fish are getting a bum rap!

Jim
Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 14-03-2004, 12:37 AM
RichToyBox

I have UV on my large pond and almost every year, a few fry survive the
caviar after spawning activity of the adults. I have taken some of the
plants out and put them in a stock tank to raise more babies so that I have
a better chance of getting a nice fish, but I still get a few survivors in
the pond. The last one that has yet to be caught is solid black, and now
approaching 18 inches. Maybe he will slow down enough that I can get him
out of the pond.
--
RichToyBox

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
. ..

Old 14-03-2004, 04:10 PM
Hal

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:12:40 -0600, "Phyllis and Jim Hurley"
wrote:

Hal wrote:

A fish farmer that used to hang around here mentioned they kill off
microaquatics eaten by hatching fry. So, if you use UV and want to
raise fry you need to feed them and he suggested boiled egg yoke.

Does anyone with a UV have a good batch of hatchlings? If the UV really
takes out the fry food, that could explain why I have not had babies for a
while...maybe the mosquito fish are getting a bum rap!

Hal has more than he wants every year! Once the eggs or fry get
past the pump, the UV and into the plant pond there seems to be
plenty for them to eat. Last year I found 60 goldfish I didn't know
I had when I cleaned out the plants.

Regards,

Hal

Old 14-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Barbara2245

Hal wrote:

A fish farmer that used to hang around here mentioned they kill off
microaquatics eaten by hatching fry. So, if you use UV and want to
raise fry you need to feed them and he suggested boiled egg yoke.

Does anyone with a UV have a good batch of hatchlings? If the UV really
takes out the fry food, that could explain why I have not had babies for a
while...maybe the mosquito fish are getting a bum rap!

Jim

No, No. Last year was the first year I used a UV clarifier-sterilizer
and I have never had so many fry. If they all survived the winter I
will have to take goldfish to the pet store. Happy water gardening.

Old 15-03-2004, 04:04 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Thanks for the input. Back to the mosquito fish theory.

I will pull the mosquito fish out of the first filter pond as well...just in
case they get up there.