Old 20-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Dave

Default Help me identify these eggs

Strings of eggs just appeared in our pond this morning. We have Koi
and goldfish. We've had a number of tadpoles, but these are
definitely not toad/frogs.

Can anyone identify these eggs?

http://www.lutzfamily.net/temp/eggs1.jpg

Thanks,

Dave
Old 20-03-2004, 02:52 AM
RichToyBox

Looks like toads. See http://groups.google.com
Group rec.ponds, words "frog friendly" and look for K30a response.

RichToyBox

om...

Old 20-03-2004, 04:14 AM
Ka30P

Why do you say they are not toad eggs?

Rule of thumb (a green thumb ;-) is that
frogs' eggs are laid in clumps, toads' eggs
in strings, newt and salamander eggs in individual spots wrapped in leaves, one
or a few together.

They look like toad eggs to me but the picture came through really large on my
computer so it was hard to find the eggs in the picture but they looked like
toad.

kathy :-)
Old 20-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Offbreed

Dave wrote:

Strings of eggs just appeared in our pond this morning. We have Koi
and goldfish. We've had a number of tadpoles, but these are
definitely not toad/frogs.

Can anyone identify these eggs?

http://www.lutzfamily.net/temp/eggs1.jpg

Any salamanders in the area?

Old 20-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Dave

Offbreed wrote in message ...
Dave wrote:

Strings of eggs just appeared in our pond this morning. We have Koi
and goldfish. We've had a number of tadpoles, but these are
definitely not toad/frogs.

Can anyone identify these eggs?

http://www.lutzfamily.net/temp/eggs1.jpg

Any salamanders in the area?

Thank you all for the help! We've seen clumps of eggs before, and
thought those were toads as we had 100s of tadpoles and later toads.

Old 20-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Ka30P

When in doubt fill a jar and bring it in the house, a favorite activity around
here ;-)

Frog tadpoles are greenish-brownish and have wavy, broader tails.
Toad tadpoles are black and have whip like tails.
Salamanders and newts will have visible gills and be longer in the body.

When you've IDed them put them back in the pond so you don't have baby hoppers
making their way to the white porcelain pond in the bathroom at 5am in the
morning (been there, done that!).

kathy :-)

Old 22-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Toads..for sure.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
om...

Old 24-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Chester Deja

Looks like you are going to have many more small little tadpoles.
From my experience those are toad eggs and will turn into thousands of
small black tadpoles - great for algea cleaning of your pond.

Rick

Strings of eggs just appeared in our pond this morning. We have Koi
and goldfish. We've had a number of tadpoles, but these are
definitely not toad/frogs.

Can anyone identify these eggs?

http://www.lutzfamily.net/temp/eggs1.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

these brown eggs .... John Savage Australia 19 06-11-2006 09:40 PM
Help me ID these little eggs... Siouxzi North Carolina 3 29-04-2005 03:15 PM
Help me identify these eggs Dave Ponds 0 20-03-2004 02:29 AM
Are these eggs? Barry Ponds 3 24-09-2003 07:32 PM
need help to identify eggs in pond Bruce Ponds 6 14-07-2003 11:24 PM