GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Prazi (praziquantel) Help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/56296-prazi-praziquantel-help.html)

REBEL JOE 21-03-2004 03:06 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

How soon in spring should you treat your pond with this. It says water
temp don't matter but when would be best to kill the parasites. Has
anyone used this before?

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

[email protected] 21-03-2004 04:37 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

do your fish have dacs? the stuff is pretty toxic all by itself. gyros are
treatable with PP if the fish are flashing and yes, it can be used in cold water. no
formalin based product should be used in cold water.
Ingrid

(REBEL JOE) wrote:

How soon in spring should you treat your pond with this. It says water
temp don't matter but when would be best to kill the parasites. Has
anyone used this before?

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

RichToyBox 22-03-2004 05:11 AM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

Prazi can be added at any time and if you suspect that you have flukes, I
would say that the best time is before the water really starts to warm, as
the damage by the flukes is entry points for the bacteria that cause ulcers,
and the bacteria become active (around 50) before the immune system of the
fish (around 60). If you are not seeing flashing or have other reason to
suspect flukes, I would save my money for KoiZyme.
--
RichToyBox

REBEL JOE 22-03-2004 04:38 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

What I was doing was as a preventive. I heard that it will kill internal
parasites. So isn't"t this a good idea? I read you only need one
treatment in the spring. but was not sure of water temp.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Lee B. 22-03-2004 07:33 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

Prazi is NOT formalin based. Prazi is gentle enough for puppies and kittens.
It will help to rid your fish of any internal parasites as well as the
external ones. As opposed to SupaVerm, Prazi is "approved" for use on ALL
fish, including tropicals and catfish. SupaVerm is actually a sheep dip; the
use of it for koi is in a "grey" zone - and it can ONLY be used on koi.
Other fish will die a very nasty death.

Prazi can be used independently of Proform-C, the combination of which
comprises the so-called Silver Bullet (formalin, malachite green and Prazi
will kill just about ANYthing other than the viruses), but it's a real pain
in the butt to dissolve. After shaking it for (what seemed like) forever, it
STILL hadn't dissolved to any appreciable state. I thought I'd get clever
and put it in the blender: Big Mistake. It will eventually dissolve in the
pond; directions are to dump it by the filter intake.

Winter temps will not bother the med, nor is a water change required after
its use - so it can stay there quite awhile. As the water warms, flukes
become more active and will cause more problems. Your choice: you can kill
'em now or kill 'em later.

KoiZyme is not a med, but a water additive used to reduce the numbers of the
aeromonas/pseudomonas bacteria that will induce ulcers in the areas munched
by flukes. It's very effective, but will not "cure" an ulcer if one is
already present. It's a preventative, not a cure.

Hope this helps.

Lee

[email protected] 23-03-2004 02:04 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/dxendopar/d...aziquantel.htm
"Parasite Targets: Tapeworms and trematodes.
Mode of action: Modulates cell membrane permeability (calcium dependent), leads to a
disintegration of the tapeworm’s tegument."

this medication is given as injection or orally to kill tapeworms and trematodes in
dogs and cats and "the drug of choice for all forms of schistosomiasis occurring in
humans. The report gives particular attention to questions of access for people in
the world's poorest countries in Africa where schistosomiasis is endemic. The
analysis of praziquantel"

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~day/r...esistance.html
its overuse is leading to resistance.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_VM108
"Treatment of Internal Parasitism
Although tapeworms have not been discussed, the practitioner should be aware that
praziquantel is extremely effective in fish and can be delivered as a bath (10 mg/L
for three hours) or in a medicated food (100 mg/25g food, daily for seven days).
Praziquantel is also effective against monogenetic trematodes, and there are
anecdotal reports that it has some efficacy against degenetic trematodes as well."

It is a treatment for internal tapeworms. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

REBEL JOE 23-03-2004 03:11 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

Thanks for all the help and info

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

~ jan JJsPond.us 24-03-2004 04:59 AM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

I've been asking some questions regarding Prazi myself, on the KHA board.
Because of it being pricey, it's probably a good idea to scrape your fish
to see if they even need such a treatment. One of the nice things about
Prazi is that it won't hurt your filter and one treatment is all that is
needed as it stays active, as long as you don't dilute it with a water
change. One person with experience said he saw a lot of flashing after
treatment, so be prepared for that.

Who was the one that put it in the blender? What happened?

Regarding Koi-zyme, true it is not a cure, but seems to help a fish with
small ulcer starts, ime.

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

Lee B. 24-03-2004 04:47 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

I put it in the blender - got tired of shaking the darn solution. It ended
up sticking to everything, but not blending in. In other words, the side of
the blender got a nice coating, the blades got a nice coating, and the water
only got vaguely milky. I ended up having to take a scrubbie out to the
pond, getting on my belly and scrubbing the container out while under water
(the container - not me!) in the skimmer box. And then I left the scrubbie
in there, too. The stuff is a mess: SupaVerm is MUCH easier to use. It
doesn't mess with the filter, either (and it doesn't require water changes).
Just a distinct possibility that it will do in fish other than koi. Having
tried both - and only having koi - I think I'll stay with Supaverm as long
as I can get it (which may not be for much longer). Prazi is terribly
expensive. Supaverm is much cheaper. Temperature conditions are the same.
And Supaverm DISSOLVES, at least!

Lee

~ jan JJsPond.us 27-03-2004 02:07 AM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

I put it in the blender - got tired of shaking the darn solution. It ended
up sticking to everything, but not blending in. In other words, the side of
the blender got a nice coating, the blades got a nice coating, and the water
only got vaguely milky. I ended up having to take a scrubbie out to the
pond, getting on my belly and scrubbing the container out while under water
(the container - not me!) in the skimmer box.

LOL! Sorry, but just imagining this.... ;o)

I got my container of Prazi today, and in its defense, at least it has
measurements in tablespoons, for us metric impared. Best of all, I like the
expiration date... September 2007! I was thinking I'd have to find someone
else who might want to buy some, but I think I'll keep it all with that
expiration date. ~ jan

And then I left the scrubbie
in there, too. The stuff is a mess: SupaVerm is MUCH easier to use. It
doesn't mess with the filter, either (and it doesn't require water changes).
Just a distinct possibility that it will do in fish other than koi. Having
tried both - and only having koi - I think I'll stay with Supaverm as long
as I can get it (which may not be for much longer). Prazi is terribly
expensive. Supaverm is much cheaper. Temperature conditions are the same.
And Supaverm DISSOLVES, at least!

Lee

.. .

~ jan JJsPond.us 27-03-2004 04:09 AM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

I have to fix a misconception I put in here the other day regarding Prazi
staying in the pond unless water changed out. I've since read the
Pondrx.com's Q&A: The Answer:

Prazi will reside in a system at least three days. I can tell you that
because when praziquantel [Droncit] was really expensive, like $7 per pill
from the Vet, you could set up a tank and deworm Discus with it for about
three to four days on the same tank load. Past that, no one thought the
stuff hung around much. So, let's go with three to four days 'residence'
-While it's interesting to note that repeat dosing is not needed for flukes
with Prazi, perhaps because it permeates and stops the developing egg or
embryo like no other medication we have.

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

Lee B. 29-03-2004 04:43 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

So - tell me: did ya try mixing it yet? Even mixing it in Proform-C didn't
do much . . .Supaverm is much easier to use s.

~ jan JJsPond.us 06-04-2004 09:23 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

So - tell me: did ya try mixing it yet? Even mixing it in Proform-C didn't
do much . . .Supaverm is much easier to use s.
Lee

Yes I did. I used Paracide Green, formalin (and malachite green, I think).
What I didn't know was how much this stuff settles in the container on
shipment, so each Tablespoonful probably had much more than was needed. So
I think I got the desired dose mixed in, the rest floated on the surface
like little bb-sized pieces of styrofoam for a few days.

Fish I was concerned the most with, reacted well, swam around better for a
few days, but now it is back on its side. I'm hoping this is because of
needing time for the gills to heal and with warmer temps it will get
better. I've also started my Koizyme treatments. ~ jan

~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

Lee B. 06-04-2004 09:27 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

Yeh - I've had a couple die this year, too. Gills all swollen, o'wise no
external damage. I thought maybe it was the Proform-C - even though it was
well diluted before adding it to the pond. Now I think I've seen chilo. I
purchased a video camera that fits inside my scope so I can view on a TV
(makes scanning much faster); when I see something that warrants
investigation, I pop the camera out, put the eyepiece back in, and get a
better focus. At any rate, chilo at 400X still looks like grains of salt,
but on a 19" TV screen, they're about the size of a thumbnail - much easier
to see. At any rate, I'm afraid to do another round of Proform-C with
suspected gill damage, and afraid NOT to use it. Any suggestions?

Lee

s.com...

RichToyBox 06-04-2004 09:28 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

Lee,

I am sure you have looked at Doc Johnson, but if not, he only mentions the
use of salt for chilo. When he was here a couple of years ago, we discussed
the use of the toxic chemicals. I think that he agreed that between salt,
prazi or supaverm, and dimilin or anchors away, that all of the parasites
could be taken care of without any of the formalin type products, fluke
tabs, pp, etc.
--
RichToyBox

Lee B. 06-04-2004 09:28 PM

Prazi (praziquantel) Help

Good news! I was able to distinguish (via a comparison side-by-side shot)
that the critter is tetrahymena, not chilodonella. Similar in appearance and
behavior, except that tetrahymena is relatively harmless and requires no
treatment.

Whew! Now I just have to keep an eye on them. Thanks RTB.

Lee