Old 06-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Steve Shapson

Default Which Pump is Best??

I've finished building my pond (18'x18'x2'/attached to a 55' long 2' wide
stream up to a waterfall at a grade 4 feet above the pond grade).

There are so many pumps on the market. I do not know where to go. I do want
a good flow of water to make the waterfall dramatic. Does anyone care to
advise me on what pump I should obtain? I would want a pump which is under
the water. I would want this pump to be effecient, using less energy than
some pump. Are there any good solar pumps?

There will be a lot of plants and few fish in this pond.
Thanks so much for any help.

--
Steve

Old 06-04-2004, 09:26 PM
Grubber

"Steve Shapson" wrote in message
I've finished building my pond (18'x18'x2'/attached to a 55' long 2' wide
stream up to a waterfall at a grade 4 feet above the pond grade).

There are so many pumps on the market. I do not know where to go. I do

want
a good flow of water to make the waterfall dramatic. Does anyone care to
advise me on what pump I should obtain? I would want a pump which is

under
the water. I would want this pump to be effecient, using less energy than
some pump. Are there any good solar pumps?

There will be a lot of plants and few fish in this pond.
Thanks so much for any help.

--
Steve

Having just put together a similar setup - 3000 gallon pond with 80' of
stream starting 4' above water level, plus 2 1/2' falls - let me suggest
that you think about using an external pump and 2" pipe. Submersibles are
less efficient, clog easier, and usually have 1" fittings. Friction loss
from the amount of pipe you need will be hefty if you try to use 1" pipe.
You can use a 1" to 2" adapter, but you still will have effiency and
clogging issues.

The initial expense will be a little higher, but the savings on electric
will soon put you ahead. I got a Sequence Cimarron
(http://www.azponds.com/new%20sequence.htm) and I am very happy with it. It
provides plenty of flow (2500gph+ @ 6" lift) for the stream and a nice
gushing waterfall, all for 120 watts. It is nice and quiet. Not silent,
but you can't hear it over the water unless you are right next to it.

I had tried to set this up with two submersibles originally but gave up and
ordered the external one less than a month later.