Old 06-04-2004, 09:27 PM
John

Default Koi ulcer,please help.

My Biggest Koi (18'') have started having ulcer since two month ago
and it is getting worse, I only captured him once and applied the
medicine, (trust me,it is very hard to capture a fish in 6000 gallon
pond) what should I do? (I do not have a quarantine tank yet) will he
died from it or it will eventually recover? what else can I do?
My other fishes seems to be doing fine. (ammonia,nitrate (nitrite?)
all 0 )
Please advice.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
~ Windsong ~

"John" wrote in message
m...
My Biggest Koi (18'') have started having ulcer since two month ago
and it is getting worse, I only captured him once and applied the
medicine, (trust me,it is very hard to capture a fish in 6000 gallon
pond) what should I do? (I do not have a quarantine tank yet) will he
died from it or it will eventually recover? what else can I do?
My other fishes seems to be doing fine. (ammonia,nitrate (nitrite?)
all 0 )
Please advice.

==========================
I used a product that treated the fish without handling them called
LymoZyme. We were amazed how quickly it worked. In 2 weeks or so the
ulcers were healed over. I think you can find it online at Koivet.com. I
buy it locally. You add it to the pond water.
--
Carol....
"My house was clean last week, too bad you missed it."

Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
RichToyBox

The ulcer may start to heal as soon as the water warms up, since the koi
immune system is negligible at temperatures below 50 degrees, but it could
allow the bacteria into the blood stream and kill the fish also. There is a
product named KoiZyme that is excellent at keeping the bad bacteria
population under control, which could help to cure the fish, but if not
directly help, keep the bacteria levels down so that it doesn't get worse.
The ulcer really needs to be treated with some form of topical treatment to
kill the bacteria on the wound. The treatment could be iodine, a pp paste,
betadine, followed by use of antibiotic cream. Only one treatment with the
iodine, betadine, or pp is needed or recommended. The first aid cream can
be applied multiple times to help with the healing, but shouldn't be
necessary. The other treatment is antibiotic injections or medicated food
like Debride. Except for the food, all methods of treating the fish require
catching.
m...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
RichToyBox

When Lymnozyme came on the market it was the greatest stuff. Tom Holder of
KoiCare Kennels introduced the product to Doc Johnson, and that is the
information published. Tom has since taken the original product and renamed
it KoiZyme. For a couple of years you could not find Lymnozyme, but it is
now back. I am glad to see that someone is reporting good things about it.
I have used the original Lymnozyme from the first advertisement that I saw,
and now use KoiZyme religiously.
--
RichToyBox

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

m...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Nedra

Rich, You say you use KoiZyme religiously. Do you mean
to say you use it whether your fish need it or not?
I haven't started using it yet. No need to that I can see.

Nedra

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
news%mcc.194357$Cb.1743480@attbi_s51...
When Lymnozyme came on the market it was the greatest stuff. Tom Holder

of
KoiCare Kennels introduced the product to Doc Johnson, and that is the
information published. Tom has since taken the original product and

renamed
it KoiZyme. For a couple of years you could not find Lymnozyme, but it is
now back. I am glad to see that someone is reporting good things about

it.
I have used the original Lymnozyme from the first advertisement that I

saw,
and now use KoiZyme religiously.
--
RichToyBox

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

m...

Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM

There are internal and external bacterial infections.
ulcers are bacterial, external and almost always start with a parasite infection
which disrupts the slime coat letting the bacterial secondary infection in.
starting in early spring as the temp gets up to 45oF, the fish become more active and
so do the parasites. fish immunity kicks in 10-15 days after the water temp hits
55o. the parasites are faster. stress, from insufficient oxygen, sharp drops in
temperature, poor water quality, birds fouling the pond or other inoculations of
large numbers of bacteria from other sources, not to mention rough spawning all lead
to poor slime coat production and poor antibody. one reason salt is important in
spring it stimulates the slime coat. but lowering stress with pristine water,
keeping the pond covered for more even temperatures, even heating the pond to keep it
above 55o so their immunity is up and running... and of course great aeration to
prevent toxic gas buildup from anything rotting on the bottom as well as good
oxygenation for the fish.
so: 55oF, 0.05-0.1 salt concentration, water changes and aeration.
if bruising or scrapes are seen, then a formaldehyde treatment, antibiotic food is
recommended to knock down the parasite level and saturate the fish with antibiotics.

Ingrid

(John) wrote:

My Biggest Koi (18'') have started having ulcer since two month ago
and it is getting worse, I only captured him once and applied the
medicine, (trust me,it is very hard to capture a fish in 6000 gallon
pond) what should I do? (I do not have a quarantine tank yet) will he
died from it or it will eventually recover? what else can I do?
My other fishes seems to be doing fine. (ammonia,nitrate (nitrite?)
all 0 )
Please advice.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 07-04-2004, 12:35 AM
RichToyBox

The year before KoiZyme came on the market, we had our big learning year.
Tooooooooo many fish, toooooooo small a pond, toooooo small a filter, and
moved into the first of our imported koi. We were killing koi right and
left, injecting with antibiotics almost every day, one fish or another all
summer. Learned about Doc Johnson's book, a lot about water quality,
parasites, etc. Since KoiZyme came on the market, the number of times that
we have had an infection worthy of injections is very low. We also joined
the koi club and some of the members were heating their ponds to keep the
immunes systems active, so we started heating. The pond never goes below 60
and rarely below 70. I am still running a pond fulllllllll of koi, and have
had to increase filtration every year. I use the KoiZyme year round, and if
I see a scrape on a fish from them getting rambunctious and hitting the rock
edge, they get a double dose of KoiZyme.
--
RichToyBox

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

m...

Old 07-04-2004, 03:35 AM
Nedra

I have a low Koi load in the pond, and thankfully no problems
yet. Since you have the opposite I can see why you use KoiZyme
all year long.

Hmmm, still pondering this question. The only thing I add to
the water is KoiClay.... that certainly seems to polish the water.
Will have to think longer on this - -

[...]

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

m...

Old 09-04-2004, 06:11 AM
Offbreed

RichToyBox wrote:

The ulcer may start to heal as soon as the water warms up, since the koi
immune system is negligible at temperatures below 50 degrees, but it could
allow the bacteria into the blood stream and kill the fish also. There is a
product named KoiZyme that is excellent at keeping the bad bacteria
population under control, which could help to cure the fish, but if not
directly help, keep the bacteria levels down so that it doesn't get worse.
The ulcer really needs to be treated with some form of topical treatment to
kill the bacteria on the wound. The treatment could be iodine, a pp paste,
betadine, followed by use of antibiotic cream.

Oh, wait a minute, now.

Just a tiny bit of iodine spilled in a BIG tank of fingerlings at a
hatchery I was working at, and wiped out the whole tank. I'd really be
careful of that stuff around fish.

koi ulcer,, revisited *muffin* Ponds 15 01-07-2005 08:15 PM
koi ulcer question *muffin* Ponds 25 22-06-2005 06:16 AM
ulcer martin shaw Ponds 2 26-07-2004 04:04 AM
Spider cleared of causing flesh-eating ulcer? lumberjack Australia 29 03-09-2003 11:02 AM
Spider cleared of causing flesh-eating ulcer? lumberjack Gardening 2 28-08-2003 09:02 AM