Old 09-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Fish tales

Default electric fence for ponds?

I am wondering what experience/ advice people may have about the use
of electric fencing around koi and goldfish ponds. I live in the
woods and have gazillions of predators: raccoons, possoms, herons,
owls and an occasional snapping turtle that eat my dear expensive koi;
squirrels and deer that eat and demolish the marginal plants; snakes
that carry off and consume the bullfrogs. After loosing lots of fish
(even with careful sculpting of the pond sides and underwater hiding
places), I had to resort to bird netting staked down on all four sides
and netting overhead to keep owls out. It has worked, but as a friend
says, it looks like stalag 17. And I am constantly repairing holes
the squirrels make. I can't seem to find much information about the
use and/or problems of low charge electric fences made for ponds
online. Anyone have any experience with them or resources?
Old 09-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Ka30P

There are two types of electric fences.
There is the visible fido fence, to keep dogs out of places, found at pet super
stores.
And there is this new fence that I've seen advertised in pond magazines.
Here is a web page on it.
http://www.containmentcorner.com/pg.html

They each have advantages and disadvantages.
Maybe one of each?

If all else fails, leave the pond for the wildlife (this would be my choice
since I would love to have all that wildlife in my yard!) and move your fish
and plant keeping to the deck and set up your battle zone there!

Good luck!

kathy :-)
Old 09-04-2004, 05:03 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Fish tales" wrote in message
om...
I am wondering what experience/ advice people may have about the use
of electric fencing around koi and goldfish ponds.

* They would be useless against bullfrogs and snakes, two of the worst
predators of fish in some areas.

I live in the
woods and have gazillions of predators: raccoons, possoms, herons,
owls and an occasional snapping turtle that eat my dear expensive koi;

* We have the SAME predators (here in TN) and only that tough black birdnet
worked. It keeps ALL the predators out of the ponds. We had turtles so
large I could barely lift them to flip them out of the ponds. We were
losing fish as fast as we were replacing them that last summer before we
netted the ponds.

squirrels and deer that eat and demolish the marginal plants; snakes
that carry off and consume the bullfrogs.

* The deer are bad where the water lilies are concerned. They ate the
leaves as fast as they grew.

After loosing lots of fish
(even with careful sculpting of the pond sides and underwater hiding
places), I had to resort to bird netting staked down on all four sides
and netting overhead to keep owls out.

* Owls?

It has worked, but as a friend
says, it looks like stalag 17. And I am constantly repairing holes
the squirrels make. I can't seem to find much information about the
use and/or problems of low charge electric fences made for ponds
online. Anyone have any experience with them or resources?

* Why are the squirrels chewing holes in the netting? Thirst? We're
crawling with squirrels here and they've never touched the netting. Why not
try to put a birdbath on the ground for them? I have seen squirrels
drinking from our birdbath is summer.
--
Carol....
"It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere."

Old 09-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Fish tales

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message ...
"Fish tales" wrote in message

* They would be useless against bullfrogs and snakes, two of the worst
predators of fish in some areas.

I have considered putting a narrow band of small-holed chicken wire
around the bottom.

Owls?

Yes! That is something rarely reported in the fish world. But several
times I have watched great-horned owls sit on branches overhead
looking for the best bite, and one left a calling card of a few
feathers after scooping up a brand-new gold butterfly koi -- a quick
$40 dinner!!

* Why are the squirrels chewing holes in the netting? Thirst? We're
crawling with squirrels here and they've never touched the netting. Why not
try to put a birdbath on the ground for them? I have seen squirrels
drinking from our birdbath is summer.

I have LOTS of extra water around for deer and squirrels and birds.
But for some unknown reason, they want to get in the pond area and rip
up the marginal plants and drink from there. This, too, I have
witnessed time and time again... I even have an australian shepard
who does her part in keeping them up trees, AND an low sonic device
that is supposed to annoy them, but they persist!!

You said something about heavy bird neting. I wonder if that is
differnt from the netting I use, which is fairly light. Do you have a
resource? I appreciate your thoughts. I'm in NC so we probably have
similar situations.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Fish tales

EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote in message ...
..
http://www.containmentcorner.com/pg.html

Thanks for the link. It's similar to what I have found but a better
price.

If all else fails, leave the pond for the wildlife (this would be my choice
since I would love to have all that wildlife in my yard!) and move your fish
and plant keeping to the deck and set up your battle zone there!

This is a good size pond (I actually have two, one for goldfish and a
larger one for koi), and the fish are huge now (some a foot and a half
in length) and there are too many to put in a smaller area. I want to
find a way for us all to live together, and I know everybody's got to
eat, but these are my friends (and expensive ones)!! Thanks for the
support!

Old 09-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Glenn Lynn

My pond, veggie garden and bird feeders are all in the same general
area and for years were ravaged by groundhogs, deer, raccoons, and
bear. I put up a four foot high 4"x4" mesh fence around the whole
thing - primarily too confine my retired racing Greyhound. That
stopped the groundhogs, most of the rabbits, and some of the deer.
Then I added a single strand of electrified barbed wire to the top.
Now nothing gets in except for the occasional rabbit and of course
squirrels. Hope you can put this information to use.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:32 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Fish tales" wrote in message
om...
"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message

"Fish tales" wrote in message

* They would be useless against bullfrogs and snakes, two of the worst
predators of fish in some areas.

I have considered putting a narrow band of small-holed chicken wire
around the bottom.

Owls?

Yes! That is something rarely reported in the fish world. But several
times I have watched great-horned owls sit on branches overhead
looking for the best bite, and one left a calling card of a few
feathers after scooping up a brand-new gold butterfly koi -- a quick
$40 dinner!!

## Yikes!!! We have several types of owl here. I didn't know they fed on
fish as well as rodents and birds. I usually find fur, feathers and bones
under this one old juniper tree out front. With the net they can't get my
fish.

* Why are the squirrels chewing holes in the netting? Thirst? We're
crawling with squirrels here and they've never touched the netting. Why

not
try to put a birdbath on the ground for them? I have seen squirrels
drinking from our birdbath is summer.

I have LOTS of extra water around for deer and squirrels and birds.
But for some unknown reason, they want to get in the pond area and rip
up the marginal plants and drink from there. This, too, I have
witnessed time and time again... I even have an australian shepard
who does her part in keeping them up trees, AND an low sonic device
that is supposed to annoy them, but they persist!!

## So far nothing has bothered the nets we use. We also have possums,
deer, fox, turkey, coyotes and skunks here. I'm sinking a 150 gallon kiddy
pool way out front in hopes of keeping them further away from the house.
Our dogs bark at them at night and I don't want to disturb the neighbors
(which aren't really all that close.)

You said something about heavy bird neting.

## No, it's NOT heavy but it is strong. We buy it at Ace Hardware. We pay
between $18 and $22 for a net large enough to cover our 2000 gal pond.

I wonder if that is
differnt from the netting I use, which is fairly light. Do you have a
resource? I appreciate your thoughts. I'm in NC so we probably have
similar situations.

## Yes,... try Ace Hardware.
--
Carol....
"Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again..."
My Webpages:
http://.www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/index.html

Electric Fence to keep Groudhogs Out ---Pete--- Edible Gardening 6 12-05-2007 07:26 AM
Electric Fence wruess Ponds (alternative) 1 22-01-2006 05:07 AM
Electric Fence in winter Cam Ponds 11 11-11-2004 04:10 PM
Electric Fence Recommendations Doug Kanter Gardening 32 25-09-2004 03:39 PM
Electric Fence Recomm THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 0 23-09-2004 09:37 PM