GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Water Amaryllis? What is this plant...??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/58555-water-amaryllis-what-plant.html)

~ Windsong ~ 09-04-2004 11:04 PM

Water Amaryllis? What is this plant...???

I was given a tropical pond plant by a friend who got it from a friend who
go it.... we don't know what is! I don't see it on the plant websites or
pond magazines. It resembles a large Amaryllis (has a bulb) but has larger
flowers and more per head - otherwise you can mistake it for that plant. I
likes to sit in water just over the pot rim all summer and likes to be dryer
in winter. I treat it as a any houseplant for the winter. Anyone know what
this plant is???
--
Carol....
"Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again..."

~ Windsong ~ 10-04-2004 02:02 AM

"GaneaRowenna" wrote in message
I have never seen the bulb of an amyrillis, but could it be a canna?
Shawn

---------------------------
No, it looks nothing like a Canna. It looks like an Amaryllis complete with
bulb part way under the soil.

~ jan JJsPond.us 10-04-2004 08:02 AM

Water Amaryllis? What is this plant...???

Bog Lily bulbs are like that, but the flowers are white and fragrant like
an Easter Lily. ~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

~ Windsong ~ 10-04-2004 08:33 AM

Water Amaryllis? What is this plant...???

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
s.com...
Bog Lily bulbs are like that, but the flowers are white and fragrant like
an Easter Lily. ~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

==========================
That must be what it is. It likes to stay wet. The flowers were a reddish
color, not white, and quite large and trumpet shaped.

~ jan JJsPond.us 15-04-2004 04:02 AM

Water Amaryllis? What is this plant...???

Sounds cool. Do you happen to have a picture? ~ jan ~Keep 'em Wet~

~ Windsong ~ 15-04-2004 04:34 AM

wrote:

That must be what it is. It likes to stay wet. The flowers were a

reddish
color, not white, and quite large and trumpet shaped.

No, but I can take a few pics when it blooms this summer. :-) I just
divided it into 3 separate plants so it may not bloom this year.
--
Carol....
"I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead."

~ jan JJsPond.us 15-04-2004 06:33 AM

Water Amaryllis? What is this plant...???

Great! Report when you take some. :o) ~ jan