Old 13-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Raphaella

Default Can't access a floating water lily tuber, will it attach by itself

I did a stupid thing: there is a big 3 acre-ish pond by my house.
Yesterday I went to Lowes and got 3 water lilies, tied them each to a
big stone and tossed the 3 packages into the pond hoping they will
grow. But the lily broke away from the confinement and float up in
the middle of the pond. The pond's bottom is filled with muck and I
can't risk my life retreating the lily. Now I think I joepardize the
lilies'life.

Will these lilies still have a chance to attach themselves? They are
healthy ones already with 6'' of leaves on them and root development
and huge tubers. The pond has about 12-15'' water between surface and
top of the muck. The depth of the muck is unknow as I tried to stick
my leg into it while attempting to access the floating lilies, and it
swallowed my entire leg. I can't even feel a sold bottom. The pond
has very calm water - fed by a stream with an overflow on the other
side. It only gets water movement when it rains.

Guess I have to put on my swimsuit to rescue the lilies. But will
they attach themselves if the water won't carry them away? Thanks for
advice.
Old 13-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Raphaella" wrote in message
om...
[...]

holier then thou
Is this national backyard ponder tossing stuff into natural water ways? Did
I miss a memo or something? This is a naughty practice.
/holer then thou

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 14-04-2004, 05:32 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Raphaella" wrote in message
om...
I did a stupid thing: there is a big 3 acre-ish pond by my house.
Yesterday I went to Lowes and got 3 water lilies, tied them each to a
big stone and tossed the 3 packages into the pond hoping they will
grow. But the lily broke away from the confinement and float up in
the middle of the pond. The pond's bottom is filled with muck and I
can't risk my life retreating the lily. Now I think I joepardize the
lilies'life.

=========================
I don't think it's likely the lily will drop to the bottom on it's own...
get that bathing suit on. :-)
Wear sneakers in case there's "trash" on the bottom.
--
Carol....
"When did my wild oats turn to prunes and All Bran?"

Old 14-04-2004, 02:08 PM

know a good fly fisher?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 15-04-2004, 02:07 PM
GD

. com...

"Benign Vanilla" wrote:
holier then thou
Is this national backyard ponder tossing stuff into natural water ways? Did
I miss a memo or something? This is a naughty practice.
/holer then thou

Good for you, pointing out the dangers of introducing backyard plants
(and other exotics) into (possibly) natural systems. FYI, it is
estimated that more than 60,000 exotic species are established in the
in the U.S., costing over $130 billion (yes, billion) in economic
loss, damage (including human health issues), and management yearly.
The predicaments of numerous endangered species have also been
directly linked to the presence of exotic species.

Please be responsible with plants and animals in your keep, and be
aware of state and federal regulations regarding them. Regulations
may be imperfect, but at least one of the intents is good: protecting
our natural resource legacy.