Old 15-04-2004, 06:03 PM
DAN

Default bottom strainer question.

Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond. The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down. Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself. Any advice is appreciated.

______ --------
| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |
/ \ | |______
/ \ |
-------- ----------
Old 15-04-2004, 06:03 PM
grubber

"DAN" wrote in message
om...
Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond.

Move it off the bottom so you don't accidentally drain the whole pond if
something screws up. You can always drop it when you want to.

The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down.

Mine points sideways so the suction helps rotate the water in the pond,
avoiding stagnant spots.

Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself.

There are people who will either swear by rocks or swear at rocks. I won't
comment one way or another so no one will swear at me.

Any advice is appreciated.

______ --------
| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |
/ \ | |______
/ \ |
-------- ----------

Old 15-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Benign Vanilla

"grubber" wrote in message
snip
There are people who will either swear by rocks or swear at rocks. I

won't
comment one way or another so no one will swear at me.

snip

OK, I'll do it for you...Last year I used piles of pea gravel to level
specific areas of my VF so that pots would site nicely. They have made
nothing but a mess in the pond, and they make for a pain in the arse when
trying to clean the mulm up. Oh, and my pots don't sit straight anymore, but
the plants don't care, so it was a needless task.

I swear at rocks...small ones. As far as larger ones, I do have some of
those, because I like the look.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 15-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Lee B.

Ii may be due to the limited "picture" abilities of a text-only site, but
"skimmer" denotes an opening that will catch surface items, such as leaves.
Your drawing indicates the intention of using several sections of 2" pipe or
hose to the bottom. From my (albeit limited) experience, it won't work
without some fancy plumbing work. Water is lazy and takes the path of least
resistance: it won't *suck* from the bottom if it can simply *slurp* off the
surface. Now, if you can figure out some way to close off the surface
opening, forcing the water to be sucked off the bottom, THEN it will work,
kinda like the retro-fit bottom drains (which is what you will have at that
point). But it will have to face down in order to clean the bottom; o'wise,
it will simply be circulating water from about 6" above the bottom, leaving
that 6" to gather crud.

Hope this makes sense . . .

Lee

"DAN" wrote in message
om...
Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond. The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down. Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself. Any advice is appreciated.

______ --------
| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |
/ \ | |______
/ \ |
-------- ----------

Old 15-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

Newbie here. Been lurking a while and I now have a question. I'm in
the middle of building a 2500 gal. or so pond.

I've been thinking of a DIY skimmer with the bottom drain connected to
it at a low point. The skimmer would be a series of chambers ( with
baskets to catch the big stuff. ) Actually, more of a skimmer /
settling chamber. Side view would look like a box with four or five
spill over baffles, the first baffle area with leaf basket ( higher than
the baffle ), the third or fourth chamber plumbed 3-4" of the bottom
with a bottom drain inlet, and the last chamber is where the external
pump would draw from. Think this would provide enough flow for the
bottom drain? Inlet would be lower than pond level as would the skimmer
inlet. I was thinking a valve on the bottom drain line to to adjust the
amount of draw from either source. I have a similar principal at my day
job which is called a clarifier. A much larger, heavy industrial item
for separating muck and oil from water. Kind of a multi chamber
settling drain. Thoughts?? TIA!

Project from the beginning with no descriptions ( except to say, the
square thing isn't a pond. But it will hide the pumps, filters, etc.
) Don't mind the mess!! http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond.htm

Lee B. wrote:

[...]

"DAN" wrote in message
. com...

Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond. The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down. Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself. Any advice is appreciated.

______ --------
| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |
/ \ | |______
/ \ |
-------- ----------

Old 17-04-2004, 03:28 PM
DAN

Thanks for all the advice. My skimmer and bottom drain-strain works
fine. Both pulls into the skimmer. I will try to set the strainer to
the side to see it makes any difference.

Lee B. wrote:

[...]

"DAN" wrote in message
. com...

Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond. The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down. Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself. Any advice is appreciated.

______ --------
| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |
/ \ | |______
/ \ |
-------- ----------

Old 17-04-2004, 07:48 PM
DAN

Lee B. wrote:

[...]

"DAN" wrote in message
. com...

Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond. The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down. Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself. Any advice is appreciated.

______ --------
| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |
/ \ | |______
/ \ |
-------- ----------

Old 17-04-2004, 08:10 PM
DAN

Lee B. wrote:

[...]

"DAN" wrote in message
. com...

Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond. The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down. Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself. Any advice is appreciated.

______ --------
| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |
/ \ | |______
/ \ |
-------- ----------

Old 17-04-2004, 08:10 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

OMGosh! Thanks for all the pictures and keep at it, I love to see all the
steps in action..... oh, and glad it's not me doing them. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Lee B. wrote:

[...]

"DAN" wrote in message
.com...

Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond. The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down. Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself. Any advice is appreciated.

______ --------
| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |
/ \ | |______
/ \ |
-------- ----------

Old 17-04-2004, 08:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Lee B. wrote:

[...]

"DAN" wrote in message
.com...

Instead of putting a bottom drain, I attached a 2" hose from the
skimmer to the deepest part of the pond. The end of the hose has a
strainer. Should I point the strainer up or down. Can I put rocks in
the pond with the strainer. Would rocks help the pond cleaner or make
more trouble for myself. Any advice is appreciated.

______ --------
| \ /
| ---- \ /
| | \ /
/ \ | |
/ \ |

fruit strainer parts notImpressed Texas 0 10-10-2011 02:28 AM
[IBC] bottom heat question Kitsune Miko Bonsai 13 16-01-2005 02:30 PM
electric tomato strainer Richard Edible Gardening 0 22-07-2003 02:03 PM
In line leaf strainer joe Ponds 3 25-06-2003 05:20 PM
Bottom Drains, A Design Question BenignVanilla Ponds 3 07-02-2003 02:46 PM