GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Did I just kill my fish? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/59015-did-i-just-kill-my-fish.html)

Chrome!Hat 16-04-2004 01:07 PM

Did I just kill my fish?

Hi,

Last summer I put in a new pond and this is the first year I've ever
overwintered fish (goldfish). When the ice thawed I noticed my fish looking
very white - some only on one side - and not moving. Some floated on top and
others lay on shelves. I pulled them out. Was that a big mistake? Someone
told me they look dead until the water warmed up for some time.

Likewise I had a mass of frogs in the pond. I put in a tray with dirt at the
bottom for them to dig into. I have no idea if they've survived. I guess I
just wait.

In the event some fish/frogs are dead and irretrievable, will that affect
the water quality or does it all recycle itself?

The pond is about 3.5 feet deep and about 8'x10' on the surface. I live in
Ottawa so it gets cold, but the winter was on the mild side.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

--
It's been said that if you gave a million monkeys a million typewriters they
would eventually write the complete works of William Shakespear. Now, thanks