Old 17-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Birds and the Bees and Koi and the...

Can someone go over the basics on spawning please? I always understood it
that the lady lays the eggs, and the man fertilizes the eggs externally. If
so, then why do the males beat the females up? What am I missing?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 17-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Happy'Cam'per

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
Can someone go over the basics on spawning please? I always understood it
that the lady lays the eggs, and the man fertilizes the eggs externally.

If
so, then why do the males beat the females up? What am I missing?

We've told you a million times BV, it's your mind thats missing
Like all male species, your male Koi is horny baby, as far as the male is
concerned he's just trying to get the female Koi 'in the mood', but either
she's not ready or perhaps has recently spawned already. The males usually
bump and knock up against the females until they respond. But unless she can
get away from him he will eventually exhaust her and she will die!!!!

You have to provide hiding spaces in which only the female can get into,
otherwise she's a gonner. In nature she would just simply swim away, but
because she's still there (in your pond) the male thinks she's still
interested and will carry on harassing her until the inevitable happens.
Bloody males, sex on the brain if you ask me
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 17-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Lee B.

I was under the impression that the males literally knock the eggs out of
her. I don't think she can lay the eggs by herself, otherwise you wouldn't
hear of egg-bound females: they'd dump them if they could. The times that
mine have spawned, they were at it before I got up and/or noticed it. The
deed was done.

Lee

Old 17-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Hank

BV, If you are taking lessons from your koi, I know what you are
missing ..... try flowers. ;-}

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1

Old 17-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message
Can someone go over the basics on spawning please? I always understood

it
that the lady lays the eggs, and the man fertilizes the eggs externally.

If
so, then why do the males beat the females up? What am I missing?

We've told you a million times BV, it's your mind thats missing

Yeah, yeah...besides that...

Like all male species, your male Koi is horny baby, as far as the male is
concerned he's just trying to get the female Koi 'in the mood', but either
she's not ready or perhaps has recently spawned already. The males usually
bump and knock up against the females until they respond. But unless she

can
get away from him he will eventually exhaust her and she will die!!!!

You have to provide hiding spaces in which only the female can get into,
otherwise she's a gonner. In nature she would just simply swim away, but
because she's still there (in your pond) the male thinks she's still
interested and will carry on harassing her until the inevitable happens.
Bloody males, sex on the brain if you ask me

But are the eggs fertilized by the "old in and out" as Kubrick would say, or
are they fertilized in the water?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 17-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Gale Pearce

After the females lay the eggs, usually on a plant or roots, the male
fertilizes them with his sperm (for lack of a better term, 'sprays' them) -
no old "in and out" for these guys :~
Gale :~)

Old 17-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Hank" wrote in message
.. .
BV, If you are taking lessons from your koi, I know what you are
missing ..... try flowers. ;-}

snip

I assure you...I have 2.3 children right now, and I didn't get any of them
by 'spraying' my pond plands, so I think I am doing something right. LOL.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 17-04-2004, 03:40 PM
pmwebdesigns

Hahahaha yawl are killing me. hahahaha
I just lost one of my female Sarasa's from spawning.
I keep a laundry basket outside now if one of my other females looks worn
for the wear I put her in the laundry basket in the pond for a couple days
rest.
Priss

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

.. .

Old 17-04-2004, 03:42 PM
Gale Pearce

Hmmm.... - You have 2.3 and I only have 2 - our pond fish have literally
hundreds every year as long as they are protected from canabalism (sp?) and
other predators - maybe their 'technique' is superior?
Gale :~)

Old 17-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Gale Pearce" wrote in message
Hmmm.... - You have 2.3 and I only have 2 - our pond fish have literally
hundreds every year as long as they are protected from canabalism (sp?)

and
other predators - maybe their 'technique' is superior?
Gale :~)
I assure you...I have 2.3 children right now, and I didn't get any of

them
by 'spraying' my pond plands, so I think I am doing something right.

LOL.

Well first off, I am happy a woman made that joke and not a guy. And
secondly, I won't touch that one with a 12 inch Carp for fear of not being
able to stop.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 17-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Gale Pearce

Well, second off, are you familiar with the names Gale Sayer, or Gale
Gordon? , but don't take this wrong it's not a problem assuming I'm a woman,
my mother apologizes non stop for naming me Gale - I got past that years
ago - was a bit rough in the younger years, though ( oh yeah - memories of
8 - 12 yrs old!!) - so how's that 12 inch carp :~)))))))))
Gale :~)

Old 17-04-2004, 04:09 PM
KenCo

Gale Pearce wrote:
Well, second off, are you familiar with the names Gale Sayer,

football player c.f. the movie Brians Song?

or Gale Gordon?

hmm, roundy round driver? vrooommm

did I pass??? lol

, but don't take this wrong it's not a problem assuming I'm a woman,
my mother apologizes non stop for naming me Gale - I got past that years
ago - was a bit rough in the younger years, though ( oh yeah - memories of
8 - 12 yrs old!!) - so how's that 12 inch carp :~)))))))))
Gale :~)

LOL.

Well first off, I am happy a woman made that joke and not a guy. And
secondly, I won't touch that one with a 12 inch Carp for fear of not being
able to stop.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-831-5739 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced