Old 17-04-2004, 08:11 PM
btinternet

Default vegi filter

im thinking of growing watercress as a vegi filter. I have a header pool on
my main pond which is 10'x3' and 14" deep. I am thinking of growing
watercress in seed trays floating on the surface. What would you use as a
planting medium? I was thinking of mixing 2 parts gravel to 1 part clay cat
litter. Is this a good idea? My main pond holds 3500 gallons and is home to
11 koi and 4 goldfish.
thanks
Leigh

Old 18-04-2004, 01:09 AM
Nedra

I think you'll want the roots to dangle in the water to filter.
Unless you have other plants that will take care of the filtering...
JMO

Nedra

Old 19-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"btinternet" wrote in message
im thinking of growing watercress as a vegi filter. I have a header pool

on
my main pond which is 10'x3' and 14" deep. I am thinking of growing
watercress in seed trays floating on the surface. What would you use as a
planting medium? I was thinking of mixing 2 parts gravel to 1 part clay

cat
litter. Is this a good idea? My main pond holds 3500 gallons and is home

11 koi and 4 goldfish.

To get the most out of your Veggie Filter you want bare roots. I mainly use
Water Hyacinth for my filter, but I do have some Iris as well. The iris are
planted in baskets of rock, but are there mostly for the look. The WH roots
dangling really do the main work. I also use watercress. It is a great
startup plant because it is cheap and easy to get. I have found the best
results for me with Watercress were when I just tossed the plants in. They
root in just a few days. Put them in running water like a falls or a stream,
and they will take over your yard.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 20-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

You might get some watercress from the store. It grows easily.

In the summer, it dies back in the heat. You might think about water
celery, it thrives in the summer. Additionaly, water hyacinth. Both grow
well and produce lots of discardable plants...throwing out as green plants
what was brown waste. The root systems catch muck and provide great
bactrial surface.

Jim

Old 20-04-2004, 04:04 PM

definitely water celery. you can see how it grows over the summer here
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2003/8-2003B.htm
Ingrid

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote:
You might get some watercress from the store. It grows easily.

In the summer, it dies back in the heat. You might think about water
celery, it thrives in the summer. Additionaly, water hyacinth. Both grow
well and produce lots of discardable plants...throwing out as green plants
what was brown waste. The root systems catch muck and provide great
bactrial surface.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 21-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Kodiak

Hi Ingrid,
Very nice setup you have.
Are you pumping the water into that wooden
tray atop of your pond, does the water flow
sequentially down the tray through all the plants
from Plant 1 to Plant 9 where it exits a waterfall
back into the pond?

Do you have any illustrations or pictures of the
pond construction, filter details, plant baskets, etc?
Do you have a bottom drain and a skimmer
at the other end of the pond (opposite waterfall)?
How big is your pump?

....Kodiak

wrote in message
definitely water celery. you can see how it grows over the summer here
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2003/8-2003B.htm
Ingrid

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote:
You might get some watercress from the store. It grows easily.

In the summer, it dies back in the heat. You might think about water
celery, it thrives in the summer. Additionaly, water hyacinth. Both

grow
well and produce lots of discardable plants...throwing out as green

plants
what was brown waste. The root systems catch muck and provide great
bactrial surface.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 21-04-2004, 04:03 PM

yes, here is shows details of building the veggie filter
http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/p2000.htm
yes, it does flow thru. and one year I put clumps of water celery in a row and sure
enough, the ones got the water first got the biggest.
uhh.. I would recommend doing the veggie filter BEFORE filling the pond. LOL.
the baskets are regular plastic pots. I turn one upside down and put the plant on
top. filter is only 12" deep. at the beginning where the water goes in (left side) I
rolled up some filter material and jammed it down into the box. some rough stuff
first, then aquatic ecosystem reticulated foam right after the "corners" and then a
roll of polyester batting supported by another roll of rougher stuff closer to teh
water falls. The mulm builds up during the year.
this year I am absolutely, positively going to make a proper filter to get all the
fine stuff out before the water goes into the filter. sigh.
no bottom drain, no skimmer (no leaves cause of the net). no idea how big the pump
is, the Pond Lady sized it for me. got a UV hoodgie too.

"Kodiak" wrote:
Are you pumping the water into that wooden
tray atop of your pond, does the water flow
sequentially down the tray through all the plants
from Plant 1 to Plant 9 where it exits a waterfall
back into the pond?

Do you have any illustrations or pictures of the
pond construction, filter details, plant baskets, etc?
Do you have a bottom drain and a skimmer
at the other end of the pond (opposite waterfall)?
How big is your pump?

...Kodiak

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 22-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Kodiak

Very Nice Ingrid,
Got alot of ideas looking at your pond construction.
The carpet padding was a very interesting one.
So the Veggie filter is 12" deep I assume that's the
water depth? The trench is another 6" taller? What's that
piece you used to do the lip for the water falls? How do you
get such a clean finish with no liner sticking out? Do you just
trim the liner and then pinch down the excess with the wood
trim on top? What is that shelf about 1.5ft down only on one front wall?
Is that to sit your heater and Pump? Do you just run a hose from the
pump straight into the trench?
Can KOI actually jump out of a POND with that much headroom?
I like the winter stuff you did. Which part of the US do you live?
Sorry for all the questions....
....Kodiak

"Kodiak" wrote:
Are you pumping the water into that wooden
tray atop of your pond, does the water flow
sequentially down the tray through all the plants
from Plant 1 to Plant 9 where it exits a waterfall
back into the pond?

Do you have any illustrations or pictures of the
pond construction, filter details, plant baskets, etc?
Do you have a bottom drain and a skimmer
at the other end of the pond (opposite waterfall)?
How big is your pump?

...Kodiak

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 22-04-2004, 06:05 PM

surprisingly, that entirely synthetic carpet padding still "pads" after a number of
years. it is really nice to walk on it, and also continues to pad the liner. it is
sooooo easy to work with, forms around corners. cut with scissors or just tear it.
the inside of the veggie filter is 9" wide x 11.5" deep, the outside is 12 x 18 since
the front has a 2' drop at the very bottom so anything overflows the filter drools
back into the pond, not outside the pond. the front edge of the filter. depth is
controlled by size and position of the overflow/waterfall. I just kept trimming it
until the flow was right.
here is page I made to explain http://puregold.aquaria.net/mypond/2000/details.htm

"Kodiak" wrote:
What's that piece you used to do the lip for the water falls?

.... it is 10" wide pine (safe for fish). I used a jig saw to make it rounded with
"lips" on the ends so it was bolted to the side right under the cut for the
waterfall. I also ran it thru the table saw to cut an angle on the back edge so the
front slants down.
How do youget such a clean finish with no liner sticking out?

.... I trimmed it around the pine lip. even if it leaks teh water drips back into the
pond. if I did it again I would use silicone caulk.
Do you just trim the liner and then pinch down the excess with the wood
trim on top?

.... yes, I stapled the liner to the wood fence in back and covered that with a strip
of cedar screwed to the backing. I stapled the liner to the top of the cedar boards
in front and trimmed it back. the cedar cap on top is raised to overflow will go
under the cap. when using wood it is very easy to staple, trim and cap with wood.
the lip on the front cedar board also hides the liner in the back. I fill the water
until it reaches the lip so I dont have to see liner.
What is that shelf about 1.5ft down only on one front wall?
Is that to sit your heater and Pump?

.... that is for my lilies. AND if we want to step into the pond. not for the heater
or pump.
Do you just run a hose from the pump straight into the trench?

.... yes, the hose goes thru a hole in the end of the veggie filter then up on the
outside the liner and bends over the top and down into the filter .. no holes in the
liner!!!. I have a metal clamp holds the hose in place so it doesnt jump. The pump
hangs by the hose right near the start of the veggie filter, not by the electrical
cord. in winter the pump is in a bucket filter and the water redirected right back
into the pond.
Can KOI actually jump out of a POND with that much headroom?

..... they could jump out the front since the water is pretty high. even with the
plastic in place the last orfe in the pond did just that, found an itty bitty hole
and jumped thru it. sigh. Now, Jo Ann, the GF Guru says a shelf will prevent koi from
jumping at that point.
I like the winter stuff you did. Which part of the US do you live?

..... the pictures or how I covered the pond or ??? I am in Wisconsin.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 23-04-2004, 05:04 AM
Kodiak

Nice picture, didn't think of the 2" drip edge.
I knew the step was for something important.
Didn't think of that either.
I can see why those would be really important.

What's on the bottom of the pond. Did you use
greenwood plywood and carpet liner too, or did
you just put sand and the liner on top?

Why do you hang the pump by the hose?
Do you mean to have it midway into the water?
Don't you want it on the bottom to maximize circulation?
(top right corner flows to bottom left opposite corner)

You used a permalon liner?
Can you comment on using that vs. other liners like;
Vinyl, Xavan, EPDM Rubber, and PVC pond liners?

I was commenting on your Winter covering of the POND...
How many gallons total?

....Kodiak

"Kodiak" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 23-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Kodiak

You mentioned pine is safe for fish. Is there wood
that isn't safe for fish? What about the Cedar planks?
....Kodiak

"Kodiak" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 23-04-2004, 05:06 AM

"Kodiak" wrote:
Nice picture, didn't think of the 2" drip edge.

..... I didnt either, my friend the Pond Lady, Marilyn Buscher kept after me. Like
putting duct tape over every screw or nail.
I knew the step was for something important.

....... since this is a pond for koi (not a pond with koi) I wanted sharp drop, but
need just that one step that doesnt take away too much water.

What's on the bottom of the pond.

..... carpet padding and the liner. nothing else

Why do you hang the pump by the hose? Do you mean to have it midway into the water?

..... yes, so there is no way if water started going all over it could drain the pond
dry and stress/kill my fish. when the veggie filter gets going I dont need the
bucket filter (http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/care/...re.html#BUCKET) which
actually is a 5 gallon pail stuffed with filter material, not gravel and hung by a
rope on the handle and hooked over a big screw in hook in the corner on that 2" drip
edge.

Don't you want it on the bottom to maximize circulation?

..... the bottom doesnt seem to be getting crapped up. those koi are down there
rooting around and anything on the bottom is getting mixed into the water column and
getting removed. it is enough that the water pours back in on one side and is
removed on the other.

You used a permalon liner?
Can you comment on using that vs. other liners like;
Vinyl, Xavan, EPDM Rubber, and PVC pond liners?

..... yes, permalon. http://puregold.aquaria.net/hopepond/page1/pp1.htm is where I
used EPDM and after nearly getting a hernia I swore off using it. it is nice and
heavy and ideal if somebody is in and out of the pond a lot. it stands up to foot
traffic better. it is drapier too. but permalon is thinner and folds nicely, altho
tight folds must absolutely be avoided (my friend the Pond Lady, Marilyn Buscher
hint) cause stupid fish swim up them after food and can get jammed/caught in the
folds and dont have good reverse, die and rot. I dont know anything about the other
types of liners.

I was commenting on your Winter covering of the POND...
How many gallons total?

..... ahhhh.. yeah, easy on easy off. cheap dispo plastic not UV greenhouse stuff.
1200-1600 or something like that. the veggie filter must be something like 90
gallons cause I just filled it up to get it going again with the hoodgie attachment
tells me how many gallons I've used. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 23-04-2004, 05:06 AM

cedar, cypress, plain pine is good. the rest of my pond is pressure treated lumber.
but there is no water contact on it that can get back into the pond. even the lean
too is pressure treated but painted so no leaching. Ingrid

"Kodiak" wrote:

You mentioned pine is safe for fish. Is there wood
that isn't safe for fish? What about the Cedar planks?
...Kodiak

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 23-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Kodiak

Ingrid,
It's unbelieveable what you've done. Hope's
garden is that yours or a job you did for a freind?

I noticed you used cinder blocks to do the wall on
that one. What happenes if you don't build a frame
with greenwood plywood or cinder blocks? ie:
if you put the liner straight into the soil does the soil
eventually erode and destroy the pond wall?

When you say you built a pond for KOI not with KOI,
are you saying that KOI prefer steeper walls/sharp drop?
Why?

What did you use to prevent gravel from entering the pump
inlet in your bucket filter? Whyt not use lavarock instead of gravel?
....Kodiak

--
....Kodiak
wrote in message
"Kodiak" wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 23-04-2004, 02:05 PM

"Kodiak" wrote:
It's unbelieveable what you've done. Hope's
garden is that yours or a job you did for a freind?

..... my first ponds at my mothers.
I noticed you used cinder blocks to do the wall on
that one. What happenes if you don't build a frame
with greenwood plywood or cinder blocks? ie:
if you put the liner straight into the soil does the soil
eventually erode and destroy the pond wall?

..... look at picture 2 http://puregold.aquaria.net/hopepond/page1/pp1.htm
we didnt know it was nearly pure sand. I mean all my mother's extensive gardens are
in clay. so the side was breaking down and the pond looked like hell. again, I
prefer the straight dropped walls and more formal look ponds. we moved before it was
finished I still have to get a wooden deck around the big pond.

When you say you built a pond for KOI not with KOI,
are you saying that KOI prefer steeper walls/sharp drop?
Why?

.......... keeps the predators out, increases the overall volume for the area.

What did you use to prevent gravel from entering the pump
inlet in your bucket filter? Whyt not use lavarock instead of gravel?

..... there is a basket on the end of the pump. in summer I just hang the pump in the
pond with the basket attached, it doesnt clog cause there isnt much in the pond. the
basket also keeps the fish from getting sucked onto the pump. but that small bucket
filter is for a 100 gallon rubbermaid. that gravel cleans up easily without ripping
up hands. lava rock is just too rough. gravel is just too heavy in a 5 gallon
bucket so I use netting and polyester batting and other filtering materials. as I
bring the bucket up I let the pump get the water out, then swing it out of the pond.
saves the back.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Covering Vegi Patch with plastic info skinty United Kingdom 2 09-08-2007 08:28 PM
Vegi Bed skinty Lawns 0 07-08-2007 08:04 PM
vegi filter btinternet Ponds 0 17-04-2004 08:08 PM
Vegi plants in pots?? Gardening 6 15-05-2003 06:56 PM
Vegi Gardens moya Edible Gardening 16 05-04-2003 04:20 PM