GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT - ka30p - OT ---- Cooling Info (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/59324-re-ot-ka30p-ot-cooling-info.html)

chagoi 18-04-2004 08:03 PM

OT - ka30p - OT ---- Cooling Info

wrote:

my mother just had her knee replaced and they use this device for cooling the knee.
it wraps around and there are tubes running thru it that carries cold water pumped
from a cooler filled with ice and water. it both took down inflammation and pain.
she said she felt almost no pain at all (well until she had to get up and walk
around). her recuperation was really really fast and she is back to gardening. she
had surgery in mid Feb.
I was just wondering if they had something like that available for other injuries.
Ingrid

Ingrid

I did some heat stress reasearch for a company I was working for last
year. I do not have a copy of the info any more, but I was able to find
some of the sites. They may or may not help with your particular request.

Specially designed circulation pads available in knee, shoulder and
small & large sized multi-use configurations.
Orthopaedic Medical Supplies
http://www.tinyurl.com/ystvw

some other info
http://www.techtv.com/news/sportstec...401278,00.html
http://www.proorthopedic.com/versastandard.html
http://www.msaa.com/pdfs/coolbk2ed.pdf
http://www.2bcool.com/
http://www.ankleshop.com/theracool.htm
http://www.acfnewsource.org/science/cool_therapy.html

Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

[email protected] 18-04-2004 10:04 PM

OT - ka30p - OT ---- Cooling Info

yep. that is them. they are wonderful. Ingrid

chagoi wrote:
I did some heat stress reasearch for a company I was working for last
year. I do not have a copy of the info any more, but I was able to find
some of the sites. They may or may not help with your particular request.

Specially designed circulation pads available in knee, shoulder and
small & large sized multi-use configurations.
Orthopaedic Medical Supplies
http://www.tinyurl.com/ystvw

some other info
http://www.techtv.com/news/sportstec...401278,00.html
http://www.proorthopedic.com/versastandard.html
http://www.msaa.com/pdfs/coolbk2ed.pdf
http://www.2bcool.com/
http://www.ankleshop.com/theracool.htm
http://www.acfnewsource.org/science/cool_therapy.html

Chagoi
http://ourkoipond.com

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Susan H. Simko 19-04-2004 10:08 PM

OT - ka30p - OT ---- Cooling Info

My s.o. and I were both given cryocuffs by our ortho surgeons. (Yeah,
we both have a bad habit of ripping up knees and one of our "bonding
moments" in courtship was to learn we had the same surgeon. *laugh*)
They are a bit cheaper than some of the other links I have seen.

http://www.cryocuff.com/

No electricity or pump (I know, I just foiled plans of converting it
into a mim-pond when done), just a thermos, tubing and the cuff. Mine
has gotten me through several surgeries with just tylenol and advil for
pain. I'm extremely sensitive to painkillers as I learned after my
first surgery. Warning, never run to the bathroom immediately after you
have had knee surgery, forgetting you're supposed to be on crutches.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

really ka30p 19-04-2004 10:08 PM

OT - ka30p - OT ---- Cooling Info

Susan wrote
http://www.cryocuff.com/

thanks!
I've got it bookmarked for future reference.
This will by youngest son's third trip to physical therapy in a year! First was
for getting smacked in the knee with football helmet (attached to a big 8th
grader), second for getting smacked while riding in the former volvo by a
pickup truck driven by a crazed Christmas shopper and this broken ankle which
he managed all by himself.
I think they ought to name a wing of the clinic after him...

kathy :-)
(still use ka30p for email
this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)

[email protected] 20-04-2004 01:03 AM

OT - ka30p - OT ---- Cooling Info

I wonder how that works then with no little pump (of course I got all kinds of little
pumps around the house). Ingrid

"Susan H. Simko" wrote:
http://www.cryocuff.com/

No electricity or pump (I know, I just foiled plans of converting it
into a mim-pond when done), just a thermos, tubing and the cuff. Mine
has gotten me through several surgeries with just tylenol and advil for
pain.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Susan H. Simko 20-04-2004 06:11 PM

OT - ka30p - OT ---- Cooling Info

wrote:

I wonder how that works then with no little pump (of course I got all kinds of little
pumps around the house).

It's actually very simple. There's a valve on the thermos and there may
be another one on the cuff. (It's been a few years since my last
surgery - I'm trying to put off the next one as long as I can.) Open
it, leaving the thermos on the floor and the water drains from the cuff
to the thermos. Pick it up higher than the cuff and it refills. Close
valve. My favourite place to put it when filling was on the back of the
couch since I was usually on the couch while recuperating from my
various surgeries.

I've had mine for about 12 years now. Nice thing about no pump is no
mechanical parts to break down. Usually (as we all know) that tends to
happen (or be dicovered) at critical times when immediate replacement is
either *very* expensive if not impossible.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu