GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Larvae Identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/59418-larvae-identification.html)

stricks760 19-04-2004 08:11 PM

Larvae Identification

I saw some little creatures in my pond yesterday, on the waterfall wiers.
When I got close, they 'swam' up stream and disappeared.

I managed to grab one, and looked at it under a magnifying glass. It looked
like a little tiny drafonfly, but with no wings (it was about 1/16th of an
inch long). Here come the questions:

1. Could these be mosquito larvae? I thought mosquito larvae kind of hung
upside down and breathed throught little tubes.

2. Any web page I can go to that identifies water critters?

3. Will mosquito dunks kill them, if they're not mosquitos?

Thanks.

really ka30p 19-04-2004 09:08 PM

Larvae Identification

Stricks wrote

It looked

like a little tiny drafonfly, but with no wings

Could be a dragonfly or damselfly nymph.

1. Could these be mosquito larvae?

I don't think so, they don't swim upstream. They wriggle and then come back to
the surface.

2. Any web page I can go to that identifies water critters?

Go he
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...derpageone.htm

3. Will mosquito dunks kill them, if they're not mosquitos? Only if they

are blackfly larva.

kathy :-)
(still use ka30p for email
this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)

RichToyBox 20-04-2004 04:05 AM

Larvae Identification

Look at this site
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~sos-...oKeyIntro.HTML
--
RichToyBox
k.net...

Benign Vanilla 20-04-2004 03:08 PM

Larvae Identification

We've got some bug and squito links on our site at http://tinyurl.com/2gg5z.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

stricks760 21-04-2004 10:05 PM

Larvae Identification

Thanks for the help.

They are either Mayfly or Stonefly larvae.

Can't tell which, because the little buggers are too small and too fast.

Is either one a bad thing? Sounds like who ever is so unfortunate to go
over the wateralls will be greatly enjoyed by the Koi.

really ka30p 21-04-2004 10:05 PM

Larvae Identification

Neither mayfly or stonefly larvae are a
bad thing. And you are right they make