Old 21-04-2004, 12:08 AM
Bill

Default Bluebird rescue

Hi group. I'm betting there are some of you out there who are more
naturalists than me. I found a little Blue Jay chick under our bush. It
definitely seems in distress - I gave a saucer of water and went and bought
some earthworms. Wouldn't offer at either one. Just sits there looking
around. Been there for some time because you can see its crapped a couple
of times but hasn't hardly moved. I'm sure it must be from a nest in a tree
near us but the parents have obviously abandoned it at this point.
I know this could mean that there is just something wrong with it and
honestly I pretty much willing to let nature take its course, EXCEPT we have
a lot of cats in the neighborhood and I don't like that scenerio. It's not
a little tiny thing. Looks almost like a normal bird in the body, feathers
and markings. Just the chick like short stuff on its head and tail feathers
just beginning to sprout, but no length.
Any suggestions. (Hit it will a shovel is not the type of 'solution' I'm
looking for.)
Thanxx
Bill Brister

Old 21-04-2004, 12:09 AM
joe

Bill,

Call your local SPCA and see if they know where the local wildlife rescue
is. Personally, If it is larger than a nestling, I would take it and place
it in a box or cage until you get a hold of the rescue people.

Where do you live?

Joe

Old 21-04-2004, 01:06 AM
really ka30p

Call your vet and see if they know of
a local rescue person.

kathy :-)
(still use ka30p for email
this acct. is for reading rec.ponds only)

Old 21-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Gail Futoran

"Bill" wrote in message
m...
I live in Austin

Here are some links I found for Austin area
bird & wildlife societies. You might try calling
some of them for advice.
http://inic.utexas.edu/~bennett/__cw...lifeRescue.pdf
http://www.travisaudubon.org/
http://www.cbs.umn.edu/~mou/clubs/austin-club.html

Gail
San Antonio TX

Old 21-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Gail Futoran

Sorry - one more thought.
You might also try posting to rec.birds with
questions about wild birds. Gail

"Gail Futoran" wrote in
message

Old 21-04-2004, 02:07 AM
jammer

Well if you didn't live in Austin, i would say "Bring it to ME!" I
rehabilitate birds. Call the Austin zoo and they will put you in
contact with several people.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:51:15 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

I live in Austin

Old 21-04-2004, 04:03 PM

For future reference.
if the bird is fledged, put it back up high enough to keep it out of the mouth of
predators. there is that 1-2 days when the boldest babies try to fly but arent doing
it right yet. parents will be around.
if it isnt fully fledged. Drape a box with a wet towel on one side and shine a 60
watt light bulb onto the other side. birds need heat and humidity. put water in a
jar cover.
If the rescue people cant get there fast enough. chop up worms or bugs, use round
nosed tweezers to feed. bump the side of the mouth.
really young baby birds get their crops filled with regurgitated stuff from the
parents. Ingrid the Pond Lady got an adorable great horned owl baby, too cute for
words. is now eating small rats.

"Bill" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 21-04-2004, 08:16 PM
jammer

All baby birds are not the same! You have to manually open a jay's
mouth and put water and food in it with a dropper. Mushed up dog food
with bird vitamins and water.

"Bill" wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 22-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Barbara2245

"Bill" wrote in message om...
[...]

Many times the adult regurgitates the partially digested food into the
chicks mouth. You might try chopping the worm up and mixing it with
maybe oatmeal and a little powdered milk. Good luck.
Old 26-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Barbara2245" wrote in message
om...
snip
Many times the adult regurgitates the partially digested food into the
chicks mouth. You might try chopping the worm up and mixing it with
maybe oatmeal and a little powdered milk. Good luck.

I think the OP should chew the worms themselves.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Bill

I had considered that but alas I am on a no protein diet. Well, its not a
no protein, its just a "no protein that came from something smaller than a
chicken diet" also known as the "chicken to chew anything smaller diet".
BTW another fledling has appeared but this one seems much healthier, so I am
letting it be (and keeping the cats in). Hopefully it will fly off before
my cats get too mad at us.
Bill

Old 27-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Bill" wrote in message
m...
I had considered that but alas I am on a no protein diet. Well, its not a
no protein, its just a "no protein that came from something smaller than a
chicken diet" also known as the "chicken to chew anything smaller diet".
BTW another fledling has appeared but this one seems much healthier, so I

am
letting it be (and keeping the cats in). Hopefully it will fly off before
my cats get too mad at us.
Bill

snip

Awww come on...protein diets are all the rage. Start with worms, and you'll
be ready for the cicadea invasion.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Bluebird newbie bluebird United Kingdom 5 11-06-2005 10:05 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Bluebird [email protected] Gardening 0 11-05-2005 03:30 PM
Bluebird food mixture B & J Gardening 0 25-12-2003 04:02 AM
Bluebird Houses & Daffodils Poking up was: What to do.... *grin* [email protected] North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Bluebird Houses & Daffodils Poking up was: What to do.... Will Cook North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:45 PM