GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best websites to help plan a water garden? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/59674-best-websites-help-plan-water-garden.html)

Mike Patterson 02-05-2004 04:11 PM

Best websites to help plan a water garden?

On Sun, 02 May 2004 12:11:04 GMT, wrote:

In that case, look at all the websites in sig lines and then ask the
specific ponder(s) how to go forth.

Yeah, I'm reading everything I can now.

Here's a question: any tips for finding good deals on boulders?
I know they are very expensive at landscape and garden centers.

I have a tilt-bed trailer with a winch (spent $450 for the whole
thing).

I went to a new subdivision under construction and found a place where
they'd had to remove boulders to build the house and asked the
contractor. Saved him the cost of having them hauled away.

Back the trailer up to a rock, tilt it down, wrap a cargo strap around
the rock, then winch it up onto the trailer.

Be sure to ask first, though. At one place I asked, the homeowner
wanted to keep the rocks.

Getting the rocks -off- the trailer was relativley simple. Place
trailer in boulder's desired location, park another vehicle at the
back end of the trailer. Chain cargo strap to parked vehicle, drive
trailer out from under boulder ever-so-carefully.

HTH

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

[email protected] 02-05-2004 05:07 PM

Best websites to help plan a water garden?

Back the trailer up to a rock, tilt it down, wrap a cargo strap around
the rock, then winch it up onto the trailer.

Oh, I won't need anything like that. I'll just hoist them on my
shoulder.

Here's a picture of me:
http://tinyurl.com/2r4xk

Mike Patterson 02-05-2004 10:06 PM

On Sun, 02 May 2004 15:46:28 GMT, wrote:

Back the trailer up to a rock, tilt it down, wrap a cargo strap around
the rock, then winch it up onto the trailer.

Oh, I won't need anything like that. I'll just hoist them on my
shoulder.

Here's a picture of me:
http://tinyurl.com/2r4xk

Soooo... how do you find the time away from being the Governator to
water garden?

REBEL JOE 03-05-2004 05:07 AM

Best websites to help plan a water garden?

Since you live in Illinois I would make it at least 3 ft deep. I live in
ohio and mine is 3 1/2 feet deep and my Koi do fine. I also have
incorporated 2 pre-form tubs for my bog area. The fish are only in the
main pond. Pics are on my site below.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

[email protected] 03-05-2004 01:04 PM

Best websites to help plan a water garden?

On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:19:44 -0400, (REBEL JOE)
wrote:

Since you live in Illinois I would make it at least 3 ft deep.

Yep, that's the plan.

Stinking Illinois. May 3rd and there's frost on the ground. :)

[email protected] 13-05-2004 03:04 PM

Best websites to help plan a water garden?

Well, true to the landscaper code of ethics, the guy has blown off two
appointments without even calling.

So I guess I'm back to trying to design it myself.