Old 22-04-2004, 11:10 PM

Default two young bullfrogs

Just my luck - the two bullfrogs that grew from tadpoles a friend brought
last year (didn't ask first) made it through the winter. I don't want
bullfrogs - they get too big and eat everything. I want toads, green
frogs, leopard frogs, the like. So, what do I have? Bullfrogs!

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Old 23-04-2004, 12:11 AM
Ka30P

Hi Alan,
Welcome to the club!
I'm going to try the spotlight method
the first warmish night we get.
If you need instructions I'll post them.

kathy :-)
Old 23-04-2004, 04:08 AM
~ Windsong ~

wrote in message
ganews.com...
Just my luck - the two bullfrogs that grew from tadpoles a friend brought
last year (didn't ask first) made it through the winter. I don't want
bullfrogs - they get too big and eat everything. I want toads, green
frogs, leopard frogs, the like. So, what do I have? Bullfrogs!

======================================
The other frogs don't hang out in ponds all the time like bullfrogs do.
They breed and leave - or at least they do here in TN.
--
Carol....
"Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school,

Old 24-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Wayne

I hauled off a huge bullfrog to the creek a few weeks ago but I now have
another small one. Would you mind posting your instructions for me.
Thanks!

Old 24-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Ka30P

Wayne wrote Would you mind posting your instructions for me.

Here are my instructions for all ages. Those over 21 can use the *Bret from
Texas Addendum* of adding a six pack of ice cold beer to the mix as it helps
you think like a frog...

CATCHING FROGS
Many ponders choose to remove bullfrogs from their pond as they
get fond of their fish and other froggy visitors.
This can be easier said than done (believe me!).
The best method is to try and catch bullfrogs on a warm night since
they do a lot of their activities at night (including all night croak
fests). It is easiest with two people, a large sport type fishing net, a broom
or pole, a covered container (a few air holes punched in the lid) with an inch
of pond water in it and a flashlight.
Spotlight the frog with the flashlight (usually the net holder has the
flashlight). When the frog is dazzled, slowly place the net in front of the
frog. The other person with the broom or pole moves behind the
frog and gives him a prod in the hind quarters. The frog should then jump
forward, into the net and get tangled up. (This is why a sport fishing net is
better than the flat skimmer net or koi catching net.) Bring the net in, grasp
the frog and then turn him upside down. The frog will stop struggling and you
can gently untangle him from the net. Put him in the covered bucket and
transport him the next day to a natural pond far away from yours.

kathy :-)

Old 24-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Wayne

Thanks Kathy. I like the beer approach... now if I can just catch that
little booger before he becomes a big one.

Old 25-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Ka30P

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote
How do you treat the warts you get

No warts if you kiss the frog first.
What you do with the resulting handsome prince
is up to you...

kathy :-)

bullfrogs and toads Ka30P Ponds 3 18-06-2004 06:05 PM
Bullfrogs Wayne Ponds 0 01-05-2004 03:07 AM
are these bullfrogs *muffin* Ponds 11 12-06-2003 05:08 AM
bullfrogs & frogs & toads etc *muffin* Ponds 10 11-06-2003 01:32 AM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM