Old 25-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Mickey

Default Using Foam to seal between rocks in a water fall

I see people are using foam to help hold rocks in place and stops leaks. How
long does the foam last ? I know foam is UV sensitive and breaks down in
sunlight. I was thinking of using tubes of clear silicone.

Old 25-04-2004, 06:04 AM
Offbreed

Mickey wrote:

I see people are using foam to help hold rocks in place and stops leaks. How
long does the foam last ? I know foam is UV sensitive and breaks down in
sunlight. I was thinking of using tubes of clear silicone.

Take a walk through the poor part of town where the houses are close
to the road or through a trailer park. Lot's of silicon around the
windows. Lots of trouble with it, too. Ends up looking pretty bad.
Among other things, algea grows in the pockets, long strips peel off.
You might be able to apply it so it does not develop problems, but
it'll look horrible if you don't.

White silicon is worse. Tried it on my boat. Nope. Not again.

Maybe something other than foam would work well, but I'd suggest foam
and paint, or that gravel trick mentioned earlier. Find a way to keep
lots of gravel against the foam for a day or so.

Old 25-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Mickey" wrote:

I see people are using foam to help hold rocks in place and stops leaks. How
long does the foam last ? I know foam is UV sensitive and breaks down in
sunlight. I was thinking of using tubes of clear silicone.

EP Henry has a sealer for use around pavers that works well in this
case. You can use silicone, but make sure you get the exterior glazing
grade of silicone that won't degrade or discolor.

http://www.ephenry.com/store/product...32&pf%5Fid=adh

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 25-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

If you can put a liner behind the water fall, you have no problem with
leaks. The water just runs behind instead of over the rocks. That is what
we did with our streams and falls. Worked very well. You can see them at
our website below.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 25-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Mickey

True silicone does not do that. You most likely are talking about cheap
acrylic caulking. Caulking also peels because a person did not clean the
surface first. I am going to put epdm behind the rocks just want to keep
most of the water on top. Never thought about gravel on top of the foam will
give that a try.

Old 26-04-2004, 01:04 AM
RichToyBox

I built a retaining wall at the lower end of my smaller pond, about 2 feet
high and used the foam about 6 or 7 years ago. The foam still holds tightly
and is less noticable today than it was when installed. Yes the front
surface has degraded by uv, but it hasn't gone very deep.
--
RichToyBox

Old 28-04-2004, 12:05 AM
B Ghostrider

Are you guys talking about that expanding foam you get in a can that
expands X amount to fill in cracks around windows