Old 27-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Ka30P

Default OT ~ don't annoy the squirrels

Set down the watergardening labradors tonight and read them this new story.

A Council Bluffs, Iowa, man learned the hard way — don't mess with the

city's black squirrels. Billy G. Cates, 18, was fined $325 last Tuesday for
letting loose his dog "with the intent to annoy, worry, maim, injure or kill
the squirrel," according to the Council Bluffs Daily Nonpareil and the Omaha
World-Herald.

The girls and I discussed their habit of finding the squirrel in the trees and
harrassing and annoying and worrying him until he runs away to the big pine
tree.
'This has got to stop', says I. 'At $325 a day, that's a lot of kibble I'm not
going to be able to buy you.'
They tried to convince me that but for their constant vigilance the squirrel
would have moved in, evicted the family from hearth and home, eaten all the dog
cookies and drunk all my coffee. They stood between us and utter ruin.
I told them I wasn't buying it.
And if they really wanted to chase something they could mount a pursuit of the
Lady Bullfrog in the Frog Bog.

kathy :-)
Old 27-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Remydog

Please let me know if they listened. Then I'll put you on the phone with my
pooch who not only chases the squirrels (he has actually managed to catch
one), but he also harrasses the chipmunks living in the scrap downspouts
under my deck. Particularly annoying since my home office window is right
under the deck and I can hear him running back and forth and the poor chippy
chirping and crying about it.

Old 27-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Steve and Lisa

When we moved here last fall the extreme amount of squirrel activity
interested Monty the Golden, but he's since moved on to chasing bunnies,
doesn't bother with the squirrels at all. (We have black, red and grey
squirrels as well as pine squirrels who have a crabby attitude!) I'm sure
once Monty realizes he cannot catch the bunnies either, he'll say stuff it
I'll stick to my tennis balls. Does anyone else have squirrels drink from
their ponds?

btw......I'll take the Ms Bullfrog, one of mine moved on and the other died
last Friday. So we haven't any frogs at all now.

Lisa
(Monty the Golden http://www.britsintheus.com/marriednhappy/monty.htm )

Old 27-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Mike Patterson

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:03:03 GMT, "Steve and Lisa"
wrote:

When we moved here last fall the extreme amount of squirrel activity
interested Monty the Golden, but he's since moved on to chasing bunnies,
doesn't bother with the squirrels at all. (We have black, red and grey
squirrels as well as pine squirrels who have a crabby attitude!) I'm sure
once Monty realizes he cannot catch the bunnies either, he'll say stuff it
I'll stick to my tennis balls. Does anyone else have squirrels drink from
their ponds?

I was reading a book while sitting on the large rock on the edge of
the pond last week with my legs in the water when two young squirrels
came up within 3 feet of me and drank. That was fun.

I also have 4 doves that come in around 7:00 every evening and drink.
They're a bit more skittish than the squirrels, but they're fun to
watch as they hop around the rocks looking for just the right place to
drink.

btw......I'll take the Ms Bullfrog, one of mine moved on and the other died
last Friday. So we haven't any frogs at all now.

Lisa

snip
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 27-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Mark Swinkels

Our backyard squirrels come to drink from the stream or veggie filter
several times a day. I've seen him drink from the pond itself once but its a
3" vertical drop to the water so its a little more challenging. The bunnies
come to drink but they are in the bad books for preying on plants so they
get chased off.

The hummingbirds, finches, robins etc come to drink and bathe in the stream
as well.

A few weeks ago a Cooper's hawk stood in the stream for a while drinking
from the waterfall, biggest bird I've seen in my backyard.

-- Mark (http://community.webshots.com/user/mswinkel)

Old 27-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Ka30P

Our squirrel drinks from the pond too.
Dear daughter also reported two duck visitors
the other day who were paddling around until
evicted by the watergardening labradors.

kathy :-)
Old 02-05-2004, 08:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Does anyone else have squirrels drink from
their ponds?

Squirrels drink from the ponds here, and they're not fazed at all by the
fact that they run the batteries down on my motion sprinkler if I have it
set too sensitive. ~ jan

Old 02-05-2004, 08:04 AM
jammer

On Sun, 02 May 2004 06:21:14 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

Does anyone else have squirrels drink from
their ponds?

Squirrels drink from the ponds here, and they're not fazed at all by

the
fact that they run the batteries down on my motion sprinkler if I

have it
set too sensitive. ~ jan+

The woman next door put in motion detector sprinklers to deter cats.
In the Texas summer, birds activate and drink and flap their wings,
and just have a high time.

(Honestly, i have never checked)

Old 02-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Bonnie

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
Does anyone else have squirrels drink from
their ponds?

Squirrels drink from the ponds here, and they're not fazed at all by the
fact that they run the batteries down on my motion sprinkler if I have it
set too sensitive. ~ jan

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot all about the scarecrow!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 02-05-2004, 03:11 PM