Old 27-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Pond Diver

Default Preformed Ponds

I have always wanted to get into water gardening and ponds. I've always
rented and it never was an option. Now that I own my own home I can finally
do what I've always wanted.

I had a small preformed pond (90gal) that was very successful (proliferation
of fish, vegetation as well as looks). But alas it was in the front yard
and a neighborhood dog thought it was a better swimming hole. Since,
shooting the dog isn't politically correct in suburban America. I'm moving
the pond into the backyard (fenced in of course). The wife knows how much I
loved my pond before and has given me a fairly generous budget. GOD I love
this woman!

I'm not trying to build a lake or anything. And I was considering another
preformed liner in the 140-170 gal range...and perhaps incorporate my other
small pond liner into the mix.

What kind of filter systems ya'll recommend? Pumps? UV or not? The pond
will be in full sunlight from sunrise to sunset.

Old 27-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
[...]

Whatever you do, don't listen to the UV, Mechanical Filter gear heads in
this group. They're a bunch of loonies. The only sane filter system is a
Veggie Filter.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Pond Newbie

Go big! As big as you can afford. As RichToyBox says, they shrink... lol. No matter how
big 140 gals. looks, once it is in, you will find it is too small.. (BTDT - an am planning
the 'expansion' and my new EPDM liner pond right now...I, and the wildlife, don't really
care so much for the 'plastic' look of the preform). Trust me, make it as big as you can
now, and save yourself a 'remodeling job' in a year or so!

As for the neighborhood dog, I solved my problem with 1. a call to animal control. (Almost
every urban or suburban area has laws on the books for animals that damage or molest the
property of others) and 2. a printed page showing the price of the destroyed pond liner.
Of course, the kind of people who allow their animals to run at large are usually the kind
who don't understand the concept of "personal responsibility", but at least this prompted
them into getting rid of the destructive dog.

Good luck with the new pond!

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

Old 27-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Jeff Spicoli

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
:

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm... Don't know if I agree with your last statement. I wasn't happy with
my pond until I added the UV. I have mechanical, biological and UV filter.
My pond stays crystal clear in full sun now. Before the UV, I had pretty
much suspended algae through the summer months (even w/ a ton of plants).

I tried listening to people telling me how to properly balance my pond's
eco-system and let nature take its course (for about a year). Then I said
"scr%w it", bought the UV. A week or so later I am kicking myself for not
buying it in the first place.

I think it is personal preference and how much time and money you want to
spend on your pond.

Just my 2 cents.

--
B. Swanky - Boutique Giftware with Flair!
Specializes in clothing and gifts for infant, baby and toddler. We also
Old 27-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Snooze

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
I'm not trying to build a lake or anything. And I was considering another
preformed liner in the 140-170 gal range...and perhaps incorporate my

other
small pond liner into the mix.

140 gal is a relatively tiny pond, that will give you a 2ft x 3ft x 3ft
pond. Smaller ponds are far more difficult to keep clean, they're prone to
faster temperature swings, and of course can't have as many fish.

Sameer

Old 27-04-2004, 10:04 PM
jammer

I have to disagree on "the wildlife doesnt care much for the plastic
look of the preform". If i get any more wildlife in my little plastic
pondlet, I will have to expand before i plan too.

Why do you say this? Just curious.

Old 27-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Pond Newbie

They seemed to like the other one, which I'd built up with rock along one end to form a
'beach' of sorts. This one has a 'bog' around the sides all the way around, and there
isn't really a way to 'blend' it in or hide the plastic. I had more frogs and toads in the
other one.

Hopefully the soft liner will be easier to hide and it will look lots more natural.

DeAnna

Old 28-04-2004, 12:05 AM
volts500

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
[...]

The Home Depot in my area sells a preformed pond that has a built-in
spillway (150 gallons or so). I started with a regular preformed pond
(about 200 gallons) placed at a seating location, keeping the spillways in
mind. I used a Supreme Pondmaster 700 gph pump with 3/4" tubing to feed a
homemade external filter and the built-in pump fountain. When I added the
first spillway I was able to use the same pump and filter, placed at the
top. The top pond then became more or less a veggie filter with various
fast growing plants, with the fish in the bottom pond (comets and
plec*stomus catfish)

When I added the second spillway the 700 gph didn't provide enough water
flow so I went to a Supreme Pondmaster 2400 gph (slightly overkill) and a
bigger homemade filter. I was able to hide the now 1 1/4" tubing from the
pump to the filter under the lip of the ponds. Now both spillways act as
veggie filters. UV was not needed, thanks to the suggestions of the kind
folks in this NG. The ponds are in full sunlight from sunrise to sunset in
Central Florida, no algae problem. I do add a teaspoon of Potash every so
often. Without UV, you may have an algae problem though, until things get
established. I had the advantage of getting my bacteria from an already
established pond in the back yard. Hope this helps.

Old 28-04-2004, 04:05 AM
Eric and Bobbie

Eric wrote:
I'm kind of new at this myself, and also new to the news group, but we put
in a new pond this year about 4500 gallons. We had a 150 gallon preform
first and decided to go larger . Used a savio skimmer with a uv light and a
bio falls filter. Water is amber colored and clean. Everyone has an angle to
this pond stuff, best advice is plan, plan and re plan.
So much has to do with the area you live in and the climate your dealing
with. If you are planning on having fish you will need some sort of small
filter to remove the waste, despite what everyone told us we had 4 kol in
our small 150 gallon for 2 years including 2 Chicago winters, the kol did
not grow much but were healthy, according to our vet friend. Also one thing
I found out was most of the fun was building it.

Good luck and have fun

Connecting two preformed ponds... [email protected] Ponds 1 04-09-2014 04:32 PM
Large Preformed Ponds Lostin1999 Ponds 7 27-07-2004 03:05 PM
Preformed Pond Liners Bill Parker Ponds 0 29-02-2004 03:57 PM
ideas for hiding sides of preformed ponds? Rockypierre Ponds 3 19-06-2003 05:56 PM
Connecting Preformed liner and epdmLINER Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 2 24-04-2003 03:44 AM