Old 28-04-2004, 02:05 AM
jammer

Default Do you need tadpoles in North Texas?

I am very much doubting it, but if anyone in the DFW area needs any,
let me know!

I am in overkill mode on the tads.

(These are woodhouse toads)
Old 03-12-2006, 07:36 AM posted to rec.ponds

jammer Wrote:
I am very much doubting it, but if anyone in the DFW area needs any,
let me know!

I am in overkill mode on the tads.

(These are woodhouse toads)

Hi there jammer i have a ? i am looking into getting a frog habitat for
my 6 year old son as a x mas present and was wondering how much r they
going for and how big do they get and where about r u?

--
mamabear
Old 03-12-2006, 09:02 PM posted to rec.ponds

"mamabear" wrote in message

jammer Wrote:
I am very much doubting it, but if anyone in the DFW area needs any,
let me know!

I am in overkill mode on the tads.

(These are woodhouse toads)

Hi there jammer i have a ? i am looking into getting a frog habitat for
my 6 year old son as a x mas present and was wondering how much r they
going for and how big do they get and where about r u?

A land or water frog?

--
mamabear

Old 03-12-2006, 09:09 PM posted to rec.ponds

"mamabear" wrote in message

jammer Wrote:
I am very much doubting it, but if anyone in the DFW area needs any,
let me know!

I am in overkill mode on the tads.

(These are woodhouse toads)

Hi there jammer i have a ? i am looking into getting a frog habitat for
my 6 year old son as a x mas present and was wondering how much r they
going for and how big do they get and where about r u?

--
mamabear

For frogs the long tanks are better. get the 20 or 30 gallon long tank.
Stores can order these for you. High tanks have much waisted space for
frogs. Hurry for christmas.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 03:32:39 +0000, mamabear
wrote:

the tank that i got him is from target it is called the 2 in 1 habitat
i can send a coupon off that is inside the box but i dont know that
the tadpoles will get here alive, it is part water part land tank. and
i was also thinking that as soon as the tads became adults that i
whould get them a bigger tank.

There are so many different kinds of frogs that it is difficult to
recommend many specifics, add to that the fact that I have a somewhat
limited knowledge of keeping frogs in captivity, and you can readily see
that this is a less than complete answer. I have kept several frogs,
however, and remember some general principles that apply to most species.
1. Have a secure lid. Well, entire container, but be sure to pay
attention to the lid. Every frog I have encountered has been a master at
escape, and early on I tended to neglect the lid. Frogs hop and climb, and
even a height you might think impossible to scale they will probably
manage. Put a strong lid on whatever you choose.
2. Frogs generally like live food. I have had frogs nearly starve to
death even while being surrounded by heaps of dead insects. Yet as soon as
I throw a live bug in there, the frog will quickly eat it. It's not too
big a problem feeding a frog when it's warm outside, but during the winter
you may need to visit a pet store and buy live crickets (a popular
foodstuff available at many pet stores) to feed your frog during the
winter.
There's probably oodles more, depending on the exact species. You might
try rec.pets.herp, although I don't know if they can give you any more
specific advice, not knowing the species and all.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Illiterate? Write for FREE help
Old 04-12-2006, 06:40 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote:

[...]

Crickets aren't a complete diet for frogs and toads. Even rolled in vitamin
& mineral supplement powders they can suffer from deficiencies. They need a
variety of insects that may not be available to the OP. They may be more
expensive than one wants to pay. Shipping costs are high.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:40:59 -0600, "Zebulon"
wrote:

Crickets aren't a complete diet for frogs and toads. Even rolled in vitamin
& mineral supplement powders they can suffer from deficiencies. They need a
variety of insects that may not be available to the OP. They may be more
expensive than one wants to pay. Shipping costs are high.

In my best Johnny Carson voice: "I did not know that." My frogs made it
through the winter, although I was living in San Antonio at the time, and
"winter" wasn't exceptionally brutal there, nor was it very long.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

wrote:

Crickets aren't a complete diet for frogs and toads. Even rolled in
vitamin
& mineral supplement powders they can suffer from deficiencies. They need
variety of insects that may not be available to the OP. They may be more
expensive than one wants to pay. Shipping costs are high.

In my best Johnny Carson voice: "I did not know that." My frogs made it
through the winter, although I was living in San Antonio at the time, and
"winter" wasn't exceptionally brutal there, nor was it very long.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Illiterate? Write for FREE help

The discussion seems to be keeping frogs in captivity indoors, not in a an
outdoor setting.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.