Old 28-04-2004, 06:03 AM
jammer

Default Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is.....

****************
They eat lots of june bugs! I have been out back knocking them off of
the fence for a lone toad at the side of the pond. He looks rather
thin. Then that got me to thinking. Maybe i shouldn't be breeding them
here. Maybe there isn't enough food. Maybe if this place could support
that many there already would be that many. But i don't know of any
other water features around here for breeding. I'm hoping "it's all
good"...
*****************
Old 28-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Pond Newbie

I am thinking if there wasn't enough food, they wouldn't be so prolific. Creatures have a
way of knowing when conditions are right. Of course, there are always unforeseen
disasters, like drought, flood, heat waves, hailstorms, hard freezes, etc. that skew the
natural balances. But I think they are drawn to the areas that are right for them.

I had lots more babies last year than I have big toads this year. Maybe they didn't make
it for some reason. I am *SURE* it isn't lack of bugs, ugh! This place is bug heaven!
Perhaps they move on to find a mate from another bloodline?

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

****************

Old 29-04-2004, 01:05 AM
jammer

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:07:19 -0500, "Pond Newbie"
wrote:

I am thinking if there wasn't enough food, they wouldn't be so

prolific. Creatures have a
way of knowing when conditions are right. Of course, there are always

unforeseen
disasters, like drought, flood, heat waves, hailstorms, hard freezes,

etc. that skew the
natural balances. But I think they are drawn to the areas that are

right for them.

I had lots more babies last year than I have big toads this year.

Maybe they didn't make
it for some reason. I am *SURE* it isn't lack of bugs, ugh! This

place is bug heaven!
Perhaps they move on to find a mate from another bloodline?

DeAnna

I hope you are right.

Last year's babies will take 2-3 yrs. to return. I think it's 2 years
for the males and 3 years for the females before they head back to
where they came from. By next year a bigger pond is a must for me.
(For them) (If any survived)