Old 01-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Destroyallx

Default new pond

i just finished my new pond about a month ago and it has a couple of potted
lillypads and rocks lining the inside with a pretty nice waterfall...
recently the pond has turned an ugly brownish green color...is this an algea
bloom?.. filter problems?.. need more plants? or something i just havta be
patient with? let me know. thanx

Old 01-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Gail Futoran

"Destroyallx" wrote in message
.. .
i just finished my new pond about a month ago and it has a

couple of potted
lillypads and rocks lining the inside with a pretty nice

waterfall...
recently the pond has turned an ugly brownish green

color...is this an algea
bloom?.. filter problems?.. need more plants? or something

i just havta be
patient with? let me know. thanx

A lot of times ponds will settle out on their own,
if you're patient. If it doesn't clear in another
month or so, ask again, but provide more
information to diagnose the problem, like water
test results, typical amount of sun/shade, fish
load (if any) - anything that might affect the
balance in the pond, including where you live!

There are a bunch of online pond resources. A
few I have bookmarked follow. The first, Robyn's
site, I recommend. I even bought her book. The
others look fine but I haven't spent as much time
exploring them.
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/pond.htm

http://members.aol.com/marylady/pondpals/resource.htm
http://aquanic.org/publicat/state/il-in/faq/faq.htm
http://www.ponddoc.com/Topics/KoiGoldfish.htm

HTH - Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 01-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Remydog

Welcome to our world! Where are you located? If it's warm and in the sun,
you might have an algae problem. Solutions include finding a pond-friendly
algaecide, installing lots of oxygenating plants, installing a u.v. light,
better aeration to the water or a combination of all of the above.

Do you have fish?

Old 01-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Mike Patterson

On Sat, 01 May 2004 14:06:54 GMT, "Destroyallx"
wrote:

i just finished my new pond about a month ago and it has a couple of potted
lillypads and rocks lining the inside with a pretty nice waterfall...
recently the pond has turned an ugly brownish green color...is this an algea
bloom?.. filter problems?.. need more plants? or something i just havta be
patient with? let me know. thanx

Green is algae, that's to be expected (probably 80% of questions here
are related to algae), but brown may be silt.

How does ground water /rainwater flow around your pond? I finally had
to dig a small trench all around the uphill side of my pond to keep
most of the the rain runoff out.

HTH

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Destroyallx

ok...
the pond is located in my front yard in the hudson valley area of new york
(upstate ny). there are 3 small koi, 3 large gold fish and 2 shubkins. The
pond liner is 20x20 so..idk how many gallons..but its circular, and about a
maximum of 18inches deep. it never recieves any natural shade, unless its
cloudy!.....
remember the pond is under a month old...so may be a bloom??
this help?? thanx!!
john

Old 01-05-2004, 10:09 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

If it is circular, whats the diameter? You need to purchase test kits:
ammonia, nitrite, pH, & KH and a thermometer. What is your filtration set
up? How many gallons per hour are you turning over? ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 01-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Ka30P

Algae fighting tips
~ Nutrients for all forms of algae are sun, new water, fish waste, fertilized
run off, rotting plants, blown in dirt.
~ New ponds and spring ponds need time for plants to get established, algae is
quicker at getting going.
~ add plants, of any kind, in the pond. Especially underwater plants.
~ Shade is good - provided by lily pads, floating plants or artificial shade
for part of the day.
~ LOW fish stocking (20 gallons per goldfish, 100 per koi after starting with
1,000 gallons) and *not* overfeeding the fish. Too many fish and too much
feeding is probably responsible for most pea soup water, followed closely by
too much decaying plant matter, sludge and overall gunk in the water
~ adding a combination mechanical and biological filter to screen gunk and
convert fishy ammonia waste for fish health.
~ build a veggie filter, to run water through plants, as easy as floating water
hyacinth in your filter.
~ clean up dead plant matter and screen for falling leaves
in the fall.
~ water movement, occasional water changes of 10%
~ add a sludge consumer, concentrated bacteria.
many rec.ponders use http://www.united-tech.com/m-aq4u-toc.html
~ Check your pH, too high, over 8.8, or too low, under 6.4, and most higher
plant forms can't take up the nutrients.
~ building ponds with bottom drains and skimmers.
~ do not use algaecides, they only make lots of suddenly dead algae
and that will feed the next algae bloom.
~ do not worry about algae that grows on things (substrate algae) this is good
for a pond
~ gently remove string algae
~ UV lights work on suspended algae (green water) - does cost some $$.
~ patience and time ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 27-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered User

Commonly known as hair or thread algae, which is considered healthy algae, will always be present in your tank and the one you really want! It has been proven time and again ahead of time, algae and will return home against a growth of algae has a few spots left in the wash water tank faster. We propose to continue to keep intact a number of decorations in your water column nutrients.
__________________
Pond Filter
Old 09-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyallx View Post
i just finished my new pond about a month ago and it has a couple of potted
lillypads and rocks lining the inside with a pretty nice waterfall...
recently the pond has turned an ugly brownish green color...is this an algea
bloom?.. filter problems?.. need more plants? or something i just havta be
patient with? let me know. thanx
You could always try and get some professional advice from someone who builds and maintains ponds all the time so that you get it right. Is there any fish in the pond?
Old 23-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Registered User

Location: California
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyallx View Post
i just finished my new pond about a month ago and it has a couple of potted
lillypads and rocks lining the inside with a pretty nice waterfall...
recently the pond has turned an ugly brownish green color...is this an algea
bloom?.. filter problems?.. need more plants? or something i just havta be
patient with? let me know. thanx
Good filtration, plants, and algae treatments will help you.Another method is use of ultraviolet light. This application uses uv light to damage single cell algae which may kill some of it, and make others clump together which will allow better filtering from an accompanying biofilter. It's extremely important to run the water through the uv tube at a specific rate that will allow it time to work. Too fast of a flow and the algae may pass without being unaffected.
Fruit Trees

Old 26-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Registered User

There are a agglomeration of online pond resources. A few I accept bookmarked follow. The first, Robyn's site, I recommend. I even bought her book. The others attending accomplished but I haven't spent as abundant time exploring them.
What is Hydroponics