GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ponds and bats (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/60411-ponds-bats.html)

[email protected] 02-05-2004 06:07 PM

Ponds and bats

I've always wanted a bathouse, but I read that they need a water
source within 50'.

Will a water garden act as that source?

Bonnie 02-05-2004 06:08 PM

Ponds and bats

wrote:
I've always wanted a bathouse, but I read that they need a water
source within 50'.

Will a water garden act as that source?

Yes, I remember when we had the swimming pool. You never
wanted to swim a night because the bats would swoop down to
drink the water. I don't think their homes were within 50'
however, I think they lived in the barn across the street.

--
Bonnie
NJ

jammer 02-05-2004 09:07 PM

Ponds and bats

wrote:

Yes, I remember when we had the swimming pool. You never
wanted to swim a night because the bats would swoop down to
drink the water. I don't think their homes were within 50'
however, I think they lived in the barn across the street.

Now THAT is cool.....

When i lived in the country there was one big street light for
whatever reason. (There were no streets) We would throw candy corn up
towards the light and the bats would fly down and grab it.

Carolyn 03-05-2004 02:03 PM

Ponds and bats

wrote in message
I've always wanted a bathouse, but I read that they need a water
source within 50'.

Will a water garden act as that source?

It seems to! I never saw bats around here before, but the last couple of
years they seem to fly around here at dusk. Which is a good thing, because
with West Nile around here, they can keep down the mosquito population!

Mark Bannister 03-05-2004 03:06 PM

Ponds and bats

From all I have heard bat houses do not attract bats. And yes, bats
love water, but as mentioned they drink on the fly. They must be able
to swoop in and out.

[email protected] 03-05-2004 11:06 PM

Ponds and bats

but as mentioned they drink on the fly.

I didn't know that. I thought they perched on the edge and drank like
a bird.