Old 11-05-2004, 05:07 AM
urmomass

Default how to make a good cement batch for an upcoming pond project?

hi all i'm really new to this. i dont know what is a good ratio to mix
to get a good cement texture. i will be getting my supplies from home
depot. i'm trying to make a waterwall and pond for my back yard. i
have been reading around this newsgroup and some guy said you have to
seal the concrete with some kinda seal . this is what he said. "If I
remember my old cement pond making days correctly, when the
cement has apparently 'cured' you can brush a solution of water and
sodium silicate over all surfaces, when that soaks in and dries it
seals all surfaces considerably" what is sodium silicate?? i tried
asking the guy at home depot and he looks at me funny . go figure. any
help will be great.....

newbie ponder
Old 11-05-2004, 10:19 AM
groovy

"urmomass" wrote in message
hi all i'm really new to this. i dont know what is a good ratio to mix
to get a good cement texture. i will be getting my supplies from home
depot. i'm trying to make a waterwall and pond for my back yard. i
have been reading around this newsgroup and some guy said you have to
seal the concrete with some kinda seal . this is what he said. "If I
remember my old cement pond making days correctly, when the
cement has apparently 'cured' you can brush a solution of water and
sodium silicate over all surfaces, when that soaks in and dries it
seals all surfaces considerably" what is sodium silicate?? i tried
asking the guy at home depot and he looks at me funny . go figure. any
help will be great.....

newbie ponder

I used 3:1 sand to cement and added liquid frostguard (sort of a red
liquid stuff - febeze in england). Allow to cure for at least a week before
sealing, longer if you can. I used a pot of sealant, then undercoat
then top coat all from the same manufacturer of pond paints. Given that
it should last 30 years, the cost was negligible at about 30 ukp.

Sodium silicate is Na4O4Si and is excellent for preserving pickled eggs,
are you sure thats what you used?

Old 12-05-2004, 01:06 AM
RichToyBox

Sodium silicate is a curing material, and Symons at
http://www.symons.com/products/broch...mical/06ch.htm lists it as cure
and hard. They really are just surface hardeners, and may help to close
some of the pores so that the lime water from the cement does not migrate
into the pond. Proper curing by keeping the concrete moist and allowing
time, minimum a week, better a month or longer, the concrete will close most
of its pores itself. Once the curing period is complete allow the surface
to dry for several days to make a break in the capillaries between the
concrete water, and the pond water. The lime cannot cross the barrier.

Because concrete is very brittle, and the areas around our ponds are not
completely stable, it is very likely to crack, and then it leaks. Some dry
stack the rocks, use Great Stuff foam sealant, or grout the rocks but put
liner behind the waterfall to be sure the leaks lead to the pond.

As for a mix, it all depends on what you are trying to do. Full depth
concrete would be the old 1:2:3 mix, using 1 bucket cement, 2 buckets sand,
and 3 buckets of 1 inch size stone. I would recommend a minimum of 4 inches
in thickness, and 6 inches would be better. If it is for grouting the rocks
together, then a 1:2-1/2 or 1:3 mix should be good. Use Portland cement,
not brick mortar mix. Brick mortar mix has added lime to make it more
smooth and buttery, but allows for too much of the lime to leach into the
pond and raise the pH. You would never get it sealed. HD sells some
premixed "concrete" mix that should be ok.
--
RichToyBox
"urmomass" wrote in message
hi all i'm really new to this. i dont know what is a good ratio to mix
to get a good cement texture. i will be getting my supplies from home
depot. i'm trying to make a waterwall and pond for my back yard. i
have been reading around this newsgroup and some guy said you have to
seal the concrete with some kinda seal . this is what he said. "If I
remember my old cement pond making days correctly, when the
cement has apparently 'cured' you can brush a solution of water and
sodium silicate over all surfaces, when that soaks in and dries it
seals all surfaces considerably" what is sodium silicate?? i tried
asking the guy at home depot and he looks at me funny . go figure. any
help will be great.....

newbie ponder

what is a good cement mixture for a water fall? urmomass Ponds 1 11-05-2004 04:20 PM
a small batch of rose pictures torgo Roses 1 14-05-2003 02:56 PM
still another batch of roses torgo Roses 26 08-04-2003 04:56 PM
Another Batch of Roses Cass Roses 24 20-03-2003 03:32 AM
Frogs... the new batch Darren Jackson Ponds 6 26-02-2003 03:15 PM