Old 15-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Mike Patterson

Default Should Iallow a box turtle in the pond?

We have box turtles all over around here, I have several goldfish and
"shiners".

If one of these box turtles shows up in the pond, would it be a
problem?

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 15-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Ka30P

This looks like an excellent page on
box turtles.
http://inin.essortment.com/boxturtlecare_rlno.htm

kathy :-)
Old 15-05-2004, 07:06 AM
nswong

Hi Mike Patterson,

If one of these box turtles shows up in the pond, would it be a
problem?

We keep fishes, a turtle in a tub, I never see the turtle eating the
fish.

I do read turtle will eat dead fish or unhealthy fish, but will not
able to get a healthy fish.

But I do facing a problem, whatever water plant I put in the tub, will
be eaten by that turtle.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 15-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Mike Patterson

On 15 May 2004 03:05:35 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

This looks like an excellent page on
box turtles.
http://inin.essortment.com/boxturtlecare_rlno.htm

kathy :-)

thanks for the link
Mike

Old 15-05-2004, 05:08 PM
SueAndHerZoo

I own two Eastern box Turtles in addition to two Red-Eared Sliders and two
Eastern Painteds. I keep them all in an outdoor habitat that I built
especially for them, and it includes a 200 gallon pond. The REASON I had
to build a special area for them is because try as I might to have turtles
in my 4,000 gallon koi pond, they always got away. Don't know why they'd
want to - I raise worms just for them and bring them fresh fruit and
vegetables and spoil them to death, but it's the nature of the turtle to
constantly try to "get to the other side".

Anyway, if you do allow the box turtles into your pond, make sure they have
a way to get OUT of the water fairly easily. As much as they like to soak
and float once in a while, they are primarily on dry land and I've heard
they can actually drowned. My box turtles hibernated all winter in the
dirt and compost and leaves, while the other turtles hibernated under the
water.

As far as them bothering fish? I have bought feeders for their pond
specifically for them to eat, but they don't. The feeders keep getting big
and I move them to the fish pond. Maybe the feeders that die get eaten,
because I never find any bodies.

Do they eat water plants? I don't think the box turtles do, but if you
want to give them a treat, leave some diced tomatoes around.... mine love
tomatoes. As a matter of fact one of my chores today is to plant a tomato
plant in their area so they can pick their own.

Talk about finatical? As I type this, I'm watching my turtles on my
webcam.
Sue

Old 16-05-2004, 02:05 AM

In , on 05/14/04
at 10:48 PM, Mike Patterson said:

We have box turtles all over around here, I have several goldfish and
"shiners".

If one of these box turtles shows up in the pond, would it be a problem?

They're not water turtles, so they'd likely only get in accidentally.
Make sure they have a way out if they do. Box turtles won't bother any
pond inhabitants.

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Old 16-05-2004, 04:09 AM
nswong

Hi Alan,

They're not water turtles, so they'd likely only get in

accidentally.
Make sure they have a way out if they do. Box turtles won't bother

any
pond inhabitants.

We put a turtle we found in a tub, and it does not drown. The last
time I check, it call Malaysia box title. May not be the same species
as your.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Old 16-05-2004, 09:03 AM
jammer

Tomato plant foliage is poisonous to turtles.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 11:59:24 -0400, "SueAndHerZoo"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 16-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Ed

They will not bother the fish. They are strictly land dwellers and
generally are vegetarians. Ed

Old 16-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson wrote:
We have box turtles all over around here, I have several goldfish and
"shiners".

If one of these box turtles shows up in the pond, would it be a
problem?
Mike Patterson

Darn, I was hoping for a frogivore.

We used to have a feral cat roaming around here, but I think the
bullfrog got 'im.

:-)

Old 16-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Ka30P

Mike wrote but I think the
bullfrog got 'im.

I noticed Lady Bullfrog sitting on the island in my big pond today. She's like
Queen Victoria, always adding new territories to her Empire.
I'm afraid I'm getting rather fond of her and since I have a whole bunch of
taddies being raised in the deck pond where she hasn't visited yet (must be
those palace guards, the water gardening labradors) I just might let her stay.

kathy :-)
Old 17-05-2004, 05:07 AM
SueAndHerZoo

Oh no - thank you! OK, tomorrow morning I transplant the cherry tomato
plant from inside the turtle enclosure to outside the enclosure! Sheesh!
I almost just loved them to death!
Sue

Old 17-05-2004, 06:07 AM
jammer

You might want to do it tonight with a flashlight and a volunteer.

http://www.tortoise.org/general/poisonp.html

Your welcome.

On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:16:59 -0400, "SueAndHerZoo"
wrote:

Oh no - thank you! OK, tomorrow morning I transplant the cherry

tomato
plant from inside the turtle enclosure to outside the enclosure!

Sheesh!
I almost just loved them to death!
Sue

.. .

Old 17-05-2004, 06:08 AM
jammer

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/plantsthatpoison.htm

This is the site i meant to post.

wrote:

Oh no - thank you! OK, tomorrow morning I transplant the cherry

tomato
plant from inside the turtle enclosure to outside the enclosure!

Sheesh!
I almost just loved them to death!
Sue

.. .

Old 17-05-2004, 03:17 PM
dkat

a turtle that belongs in the water should have webbed feet...

--
***************************************
Listen to Air America Radio
"nswong" wrote in message
Hi Alan,

They're not water turtles, so they'd likely only get in

accidentally.
Make sure they have a way out if they do. Box turtles won't bother

any
pond inhabitants.

We put a turtle we found in a tub, and it does not drown. The last
time I check, it call Malaysia box title. May not be the same species
as your.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Had a Box turtle pop in for a visit! Gareee© Ponds (moderated) 8 04-09-2007 08:36 PM
Box turtle in pond Bill Bunn Ponds 4 26-09-2005 09:25 PM
Just Curious, O/T - Box Turtle diet laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 1 28-07-2003 11:03 PM
O/T - Box Turtle diet Bob Adkins Ponds 7 23-07-2003 06:42 PM
O/T - Box Turtle diet Anne Lurie North Carolina 2 23-07-2003 03:32 AM