Old 18-05-2004, 04:11 AM
JB

Default Galvanized Pond For Temporary Safekeeping

Hello!

A few weeks back I asked for suggestions on what to do with my koi and
goldfish. You see I'm moving and do not have a pond at my new home. I'm not
sure where to build the new pond and wanted to live there for a while to let
me see where the place tells me a pond is needed. Over the weekend I found a
720 gallon galvanized stock tank that I thought looked promising as a
temporary home to keep my fish in until I build the new pond. I wasn't sure
about whether galvanized steel was a safe environment for fish. Does anyone
have any experiences in keeping fish in a galvanized tank? I figure that if
I can keep them in temporary housing over the summer then I can have them in
a new pond next spring.

Thanks so much for any help.

John

Old 18-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Kathy

It is questionable. Try to find a Rubbermaid. I have been using them for
years. But I am out here in horse country. I can get them from the local ACE
Hardware store. A 300 is as big as they sell for moveable tanks, but it only
cost $189 and you could get a couple and use them, move them, and make vegie
filters out of them later or a hospital tank.They are a bit deeper than the
metal ones and they have a bottom drain for easy empty.
Don't dent and non toxic.The easy draining was our big selling point, no
pumping ! But net them, if you move fish they will jump!
KathyAZ
ink.net...

Old 18-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Gail Futoran

JB - do an advanced google newsgroups search
using rec.ponds as the newsgroup and galvanized
steel tanks for the message content. You'll see
a number of posts suggesting that *new* galvanized
steel tanks release a toxin that is harmful to fish.
If the tank you found is an older one that has
stored water for awhile, it might be ok, but I'm
not sure I'd trust it.
http://groups.google.com/

I've used an older tank - stored rainwater for
a few years - and it did ok as a temporary
storage for minnows and common goldfish,
but got a film on the surface I didn't like. Now
I use strictly hard plastic stock tanks like
the ones Kathy mentions.

For shortterm fish storage I've also seen suggested
kid's play pools, that can be rather large and
also rather cheap.

Gail

Old 18-05-2004, 04:17 PM

it will be fine as long as your water is hard, plenty of calcium and it wont leach
metals. also, make sure it isnt rusting already. Ingrid

"JB" wrote:

Hello!

A few weeks back I asked for suggestions on what to do with my koi and
goldfish. You see I'm moving and do not have a pond at my new home. I'm not
sure where to build the new pond and wanted to live there for a while to let
me see where the place tells me a pond is needed. Over the weekend I found a
720 gallon galvanized stock tank that I thought looked promising as a
temporary home to keep my fish in until I build the new pond. I wasn't sure
about whether galvanized steel was a safe environment for fish. Does anyone
have any experiences in keeping fish in a galvanized tank? I figure that if
I can keep them in temporary housing over the summer then I can have them in
a new pond next spring.

Thanks so much for any help.

John

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 19-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Mickey

Go to a farm supply store Running, Fleet Farm, Fleet Mills etc. You can buy
900 gallon round plastic tubs for watering for about $300.00. You could make
it part of your pond and bury it next summer.

Old 19-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Kathy

Mickey, Are these in the U.S. or are you in another country? 900 gallons for
$300 dollars sounds great. But I never heard of the supplier. What city are
you in?
Will they hold up above ground, or do you need support to keep them from
folding in on them selves? KathyAZ

Old 19-05-2004, 02:11 PM
GD

"Mickey" wrote:

Go to a farm supply store Running, Fleet Farm, Fleet Mills etc. You can buy
900 gallon round plastic tubs for watering for about $300.00. You could make
it part of your pond and bury it next summer.

"JB" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Galvanized containers is not generally used for fish. Leaching zinc
can become toxic and rough sides may result in scrapes and subsequent
bacterial/fungal infections. Line the tank and your fish should be
fine. Parts of the tank in contact with the ground, especially when
buried in acidic soils, will degrade (rust) rather quickly.
Old 26-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Mickey

I just went down and found the paper. The tank is 920 gallons sells for
$219.00. and is made by Den Hartog Industries.

"JB" wrote in message
[...]

Growing moss etc on galvanized fence john t west United Kingdom 30 13-09-2014 07:10 PM
Question about galvanized steel? Lori Walker Ponds 1 25-05-2013 07:29 PM
Q about galvanized metal pond? Sue Solomon Ponds 14 18-06-2005 11:28 PM
Galvanized & Fish T Ponds 17 15-03-2004 11:45 PM
Galvanized trough ok for quarantine Don Ponds 7 30-06-2003 02:32 PM