Old 18-05-2004, 05:07 AM
George

Default A goose and a catfish...

Hi all. I'm an old hand at aquariums, having raised fish for 35 years, fresh
and salt water. Last year I finally bit the bullet and built my garden pond.
It is 4 feet by 12 feet by 45 inches total depth. The upper 18 inches are built
out of ground using stacked and bolted 4 by 4s (it was easier than trying to dig
completely through a two feet thick hardground in my backyard, and actually
looks pretty nice. My filter is resident inside the pond, and is beneath water
fall, which is also inside the pond. I have a 20 gallon old jacuzzi filter that
I converted for the purpose. I also have a 5 gallon pre-filter sunk to the
bottom of the pond that makes maintainence much easier. I just pull, it up with
a coathanger wire about once every three weeks and clean it out. Lately, it
hasn't needed cleaning, and my water is crystal clear. It is actually cleaner
than my salt water tank, which I've neglected this spring due to outside
chores.The pump moves about 1400 gallons/hour.

My pond has vertical sides that drop to a step that is 18" below the water
surface that then surrounds the entire pond (this is where I place my plants).
Then the pond drops vertically from there to 45 " in total depth. I've been
told that steep sides will keep critters out. I've yet to have problems, but
then, the pond is only a year old. I was feeding the fish this morning and from
somewhere close by I heard the loud "honk" of a goose (maybe a Canadian goose -
we get those around here sometimes). I never saw it, but my neighbor has a huge
oak tree that blocks the eastern the skylineto about the 10 O-clock position of
the sun. Should I be worried about geese getting into my pond and eating my
fish? It is close to the house, so I would think the goose would stay away, but
who knows? I also have a beautiful, large (26") albino channel catfish (at
least 5 lbs) that guards the pond like a hawk (I also have 8 goldfish, 4 koi,
and babies that hide in the rocks). It has even gone after the hands of the
neighbor kids (no damage done, just some wet whinie little ones). Yesterday it
splashed away a curious gray squirrel in a huge rush of water with its tail, if
you can believe it. I think the squirrel startled the catfish by its presence.
The catfish certainly startled the squirrel. I thought the poor thing would
have a heart attack. It fell all over itself trying to get away. Are geese
large enough to go after a catfish of that size, and the other fish, or will it
shy away from the pond altogether with that catfish in there? Anyone out there
have any experience with geese that they'd like to share? I've heard that
really large catfish (larger than mine, obviously) have been known to eat birds,
but a goose? At the moment, he can eat two entire cut up tilapia fillets in one
feeding, or about 15 peeled gulf shrimp, but will also eat the koi food. I
don't have any good digital pictures of him yet, because my digital camera is a
cheapie and it washes out the images. When I do get some, I'll post them for
everyone to see.

Old 18-05-2004, 06:07 AM
Ka30P

Found this
WHAT DO CANADA GEESE EAT?

* on land - grasses, marsh grass, berries, seeds
* in water - pond plants, tubers, roots, algae
* also feed on crops like clover, alfalfa, wheat, rye, corn, barley, oats
and grain left in farmers' fields after the harvest

Don't think you have to worry about the fish.
Anyway he sounds like he can take care of himself ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 18-05-2004, 06:07 AM
George

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Found this
WHAT DO CANADA GEESE EAT?

* on land - grasses, marsh grass, berries, seeds
* in water - pond plants, tubers, roots, algae
* also feed on crops like clover, alfalfa, wheat, rye, corn, barley, oats
and grain left in farmers' fields after the harvest

Don't think you have to worry about the fish.
Anyway he sounds like he can take care of himself ;-)

kathy :-)

I should have known that. thanks for the info. Now if I can just survive any
potential heron onslaught! I live close to a major migratory flyway, but haven't
seen any in my neighborhood.

Old 18-05-2004, 07:13 AM
Sean Dinh

Hi George,

how are your Koi and GF getting along with your cat fish?

Old 18-05-2004, 11:02 AM
George

"Sean Dinh" wrote in message
Hi George,

how are your Koi and GF getting along with your cat fish?

It depends on the weather, literally. When the water temperature is cold (or
cool), the catfish is not as active, and so doesn't eat so much. But when the
water temperature is up above 70 degrees F he is much more active, and actively
looks for food for a longer period of time. In fact, right now he is pretty
much constantly hungry. He hasn't eaten or damaged any of the others this year
(most of the goldfish started out as feeder goldfish for the catfish, but he
apparently took a liking to only four of them. The goldfish are much bigger
now, so he doesn't try to eat them). But when it is feeding time it is very
clear who gets first dibbs. If any other fish gets in his way, he lets them
know in no uncertain terms about his distain for them. He chases them into a
corner and keeps them there until he is finsihed eating. Then they come out and
eat. They know the routine by now. I make a point to feed him on one end, and
when he is occupied I throw food on the other end for the rest to eat.

Old 24-05-2004, 04:05 AM
styxx374

I bought a heron statue at a home improvement center to try to keep them
away this year. Last year we blared a radio out the window all day.

I look forward to seeing pictures - sounds wonderful!

"George" wrote in message
.. .

Old 24-05-2004, 04:09 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Being under a major migratory flyway do something preventive before they
arrive. Once fed they are harder to get rid of. Motion sprinklers are easy
to install, maintain and other than maybe getting hit yourself till you
remember, give you total access to the pond, visually & physically. ~ jan

http://www.km01.com/gardeninghome.html Scarecrow sprinkler

Old 24-05-2004, 10:07 PM
George

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
s.com...
Being under a major migratory flyway do something preventive before they
arrive. Once fed they are harder to get rid of. Motion sprinklers are easy
to install, maintain and other than maybe getting hit yourself till you
remember, give you total access to the pond, visually & physically. ~ jan

http://www.km01.com/gardeninghome.html Scarecrow sprinkler

I look forward to seeing pictures - sounds wonderful!

I should have known that. thanks for the info. Now if I can just survive
any potential heron onslaught! I live close to a major migratory flyway, but
haven't seen any in my neighborhood.

My dog catches birds all the time. I can imagine the fun she would have with a
heron.

Old 24-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Ka30P

George wrote My dog catches birds all the time. I can imagine the fun she
would have with a heron.

Good lord! Probably be dead! We know of one ponder who ended up with a slew of
stitches in his face from sneaking up on a heron and getting slashed. And in
the book The Great Blue Heron by Hayward Allen, it is reported a biologist was
fatally stabbed in the head by a heron.

My labs, sofa potatoes that they are, stood on the deck and barked, 'hey, hey,
you bird, get out of here or we're fetching MOM!'

kathy :-)
Old 25-05-2004, 02:06 AM
George

"Ka30P" wrote in message
George wrote My dog catches birds all the time. I can imagine the fun she
would have with a heron.

Good lord! Probably be dead! We know of one ponder who ended up with a slew of
stitches in his face from sneaking up on a heron and getting slashed. And in
the book The Great Blue Heron by Hayward Allen, it is reported a biologist was
fatally stabbed in the head by a heron.

My labs, sofa potatoes that they are, stood on the deck and barked, 'hey, hey,
you bird, get out of here or we're fetching MOM!'

kathy :-)

My dog is an outdoor dog. He is part border collie and part Apennzellar cattle
dog (about 50 lbs). She is gentle with kids and people, but has no fear when it
comes to other animals. You might be right about the Herons, but I suspect she
would spook them away before she ever got close enough to engage them.
Hopefully, this theory will never be tested out in real life. I hate it when
I'm proved wrong!

Old 25-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Ka30P

George wrote He is part border collie and part Apennzellar cattle

That explains a lot. When we were first married we had a Blue Heeler who used
to catch robins.

kathy :-)
Old 25-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Just Me \Koi\

SOMLOL. You made my day! Thanks!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

snip

Old 26-05-2004, 01:07 AM
George

"Ka30P" wrote in message
George wrote He is part border collie and part Apennzellar cattle

That explains a lot. When we were first married we had a Blue Heeler who used
to catch robins.

kathy :-)

For several years, I would find a dead bird, squirrel, rabbit in the backyard,
but never caught her in the act. I finally saw her catch a bird (a Robin) about
two weeks ago. Man were the other birds mad at her. They kept swooping down at
her (even the Blue jays got into the act). They only made her more excited
about catching the bird. She eventually took it inside her doghouse. I haven't
had the stomach to look inside o see if it is still in there. She rarely eats
them. In fact, I don't know that she has ever done that. I think she just
plays with them until they die. Strange behavior for a 14 year old dog, but I
guess old habits die hard. She has always been a very active dog (but not a
rabid barker, thank God). This year we've seen her definitely start to show her
age (for the first time). She is sleeping a lot more, and is having problems
with her hearing.

Old 26-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Ka30P

George wrote Strange behavior for a 14 year old dog

When our first beagle got up there in years the kids said he was going through
his second puppyhood.
Our blue heeler tried to herd the paperboy. We discovered this after he climbed
on *top* of the house to get settle down and lay in wait. He'd be up on the
roof looking down at you. Then he herded the paperboy into a corner and that
ended his days of skulking on the rooftop.

kathy :-)
Old 26-05-2004, 07:03 AM
THE Old Man

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:20:25 -0400, "George"
wrote:

She has always been a very active dog (but not a
rabid barker, thank God). This year we've seen her definitely start to show her
age (for the first time). She is sleeping a lot more, and is having problems
with her hearing.

I don't bark much either but I am sleeping more. The wife says I
falsely complain of hearing problems ... that I just ignore her.

Donald From Mississippi.
I plan to live to be 100.
So far so good.