Old 18-05-2004, 06:09 AM
THE Old Man

Default Extreme Makeover - POND Edition

I have been lurking for many months now beginning last summer and
going thru the snow and ice of the winter and now the springtime.
When spring was coming on I could feel the excitement and impatience
in the posts and read where some even started a bit too soon. I LOVE
IT!

Due to the many "cool" years of smoking my emphysema has me limited to
very little physical activities. I ITCH to hit Home Depot, Lowes,
etc. for liners, pumps, filters and to get my shovel into the ground.
But all I can do is live vicariously through you good and fortunate
people. I told the wife that I wanted to check with ABC's EXTREME
MAKEOVER - HOME EDITION to see if I could get their landscape person
and his 100 man crew to do a makeover of our yard, including MAINLY a
great pond. But she is afraid they would show up on the bus, knock
down our walls, expand the house, increase the value AND THE TAXES!

So ... back to reading. Thanks for so many hours of enjoyable
reading.

Donald From Mississippi.
I plan to live to be 100.
So far so good.
Old 18-05-2004, 12:06 PM
George

"THE Old Man" wrote in message
[...]

Well Donald, I am sorry to hear about your condition. I hope I am not starting
trouble for you, but perhaps if you could grovel a little, you could talk the
misses into an inexpensive, modest-sized pond, one that doesn't need a lot of
maintenance. You might try finding someone locally who owns a pond, and see if
they know anyone who could install one for you at a reasonable cost. Just make
sure that you have them build it as maintenance-free as possible.

Having said that, and I don't want to sound morbid, or insulting in any way, but
perhaps your wife is afraid that if you pass away she would be left with a pond
that she doesn't want or know how to take care of. It is something to consider.
My wife was not too keen on the idea of a garden pond, which is why it took me
ten years to finally build one. However, she did finally agree to one, and even
helped me build it. Now, she goes out nearly every night and sits in our swing
by the pond and reads a book with the waterfall gurgling in the backgrond. It
is very relaxing and soothing to look at and hear. I can tell that she has come
to terms with her original objection of the idea. She even likes feeding my
monster catfish on occasion. But I do all of the maintenance. So this may be
part of your wife's objection as well.

Yours truly,

George.

Here's to your 100th birthday, in advance!

Old 18-05-2004, 06:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"THE Old Man" wrote in message
I have been lurking for many months now beginning last summer and
going thru the snow and ice of the winter and now the springtime.
When spring was coming on I could feel the excitement and impatience
in the posts and read where some even started a bit too soon. I LOVE
IT!

Due to the many "cool" years of smoking my emphysema has me limited to
very little physical activities. I ITCH to hit Home Depot, Lowes,
etc. for liners, pumps, filters and to get my shovel into the ground.
But all I can do is live vicariously through you good and fortunate
people.

snip

Sounds like a nice container pond is perfect for you. Nothing you couldn't
setup on your patio or deck. Easy install. Easy maintenance.

BV