Old 18-05-2004, 06:09 PM
ray hucek

Default dying fish-need help please

I am in need of some advice and hope you could help.

I am having a fish die-off. They are goldfish and the pond is about 6 years
old. I have never had anything like this happen before. There aren't any
appearant signs of infection on the fish. The only symptoms that I see are
listlessness at the end of their life. They lose their appetite.

There haven't been any plant or fish additions to the pond. The only
connection that I have seen is this-toads come to mate in my pond as in
previous years. This year, I found a dead toad floating in my pond, which I
took out. That was about 3-4 weeks ago. Later, all of the tadpoles died
off. There currently are more and they seem to be doing all right. In the
past week, I have had 1-3 fish die every day. Is it possible that the toad
carried a virus that infected the fish?

I have done a water change this past weekend of about 30%. I medicated it
twice with a combination of formalin and malachite green. The pond is about
3,000 gallons and has an external filtering system.

I am at a loss. None of the diseases that I have seen described match this.

I am hoping someone will have some suggestions.

Thanks,

Ray

Old 18-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Ka30P

Hi Ray,
that's too bad :-(

A few questions before the experts arrive, -

How many fish in the pond and appx. how big are they?
Water test results, exact numbers?
malachite green This can be fatal to amphibians. Did they die before or

after you treated?
Hope someone has an answer for you.

Subject: dying fish-need help please

Old 18-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
ray hucek wrote:

[...]

Did you have a short spring season? Perhaps the parasites, with a
quick rise in water temp, got ahead of the fishes natural immune
systems.

I would use something quite a bit stronger than formalin... perhaps
copper or dylox and increase aeration.

jay
Tue May 18, 2004

Thanks,

Ray

Old 18-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Lee B.

Sorry to hear about your fish: it's always distressing to watch them die and
not know why. Disease is always a possibility, but the first thing that you
need to check is your water parameters: what are they? At this point, I
would be most concerned about ammonia and pH. Where are you located? What is
the water temp? These things need to be known before anyone can give a
"guesstimate".

Lee

Old 18-05-2004, 07:19 PM
George

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article ,
ray hucek wrote:

[...]

Malachite green is a copper compound. Before I starting adding chemicals to the
water, it would be wise to determine the water quality first. But my gut
reaction says it could be an imbalance in water quality parameters, specifically
Ph, ammonia, low dissolved oxygen, some kind of chemical poisoning, or a
bacterial infection.

Old 19-05-2004, 01:11 AM
ray hucek

Thanks for the reply. I had about 75-80 fish ranging from fry to 6 inches,
but mostly 3-4 ins.

I tested the water and forgot to give the findings in my original posting.
Sorry--
PH -7.4-7.6
Ammon-- less than 1 PPM.
Nitrite-- .25
water temp- 80 degrees

The toad and tadpoles were dead before treating the pond.

Any help would be appreciated.
Ray

Old 19-05-2004, 01:12 AM
ray hucek

Joe,
Thanks for the reply.

Old 19-05-2004, 01:13 AM
ray hucek

Jay,
Thanks for the reply. I will try to find the Copper or Dylox. And I will
add in more aeration.

I live in Oklahoma and we did have a short spring. Will the Copper and
Dylox treat the parasites?

with appreciation,
Ray

Old 19-05-2004, 01:14 AM
ray hucek

George,
Thanks for your thoughts.
I tested the water and forgot to give the findings in my original posting.
Sorry--
PH -7.4-7.6
Ammon-- less than 1 PPM.
Nitrite-- .25
water temp- 80 degrees

All of the above seem to be descent. PH is a little high, but seem to be
acceptable. What do you think?

Chemical Poisoning-- it would have to be airborne because I don't do any
fertilizing or pesticides in my back yard. And there is no risk of runoff
into the pond. I thought of that when I did the water change. I was
hopeful that doing the water change would have diluted any poisoning taking
place. It didn't seem to work as I lost 3 fish today.

I am going to increase aeration to try to deal with oxygen.

Any ideas about bacterial infections and how to treat them? There isn't any
outward signs on the fish.

Any help would be appreciated.
Ray

"George" wrote in message
news

Old 19-05-2004, 01:15 AM
Go Fig

In article , George
wrote:

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article ,
ray hucek wrote:

[...]

It is a carbonate of copper, and does not have the same parasitic
killing power.

Before I starting adding chemicals to
the
water, it would be wise to determine the water quality first. But my gut
reaction says it could be an imbalance in water quality parameters,

While I would certainly check these, but as it is springtime I would
look to parasites in this established 6 year old pond.

jay
Tue May 18, 2004

Old 19-05-2004, 01:16 AM
ray hucek

Lee,
Thanks for the reply.
I tested the water and forgot to give the findings in my original posting.
Sorry--
PH -7.4-7.6
Ammon-- less than 1 PPM.
Nitrite-- .25
water temp- 80 degrees

I think those look good. what do you think?

I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Old 19-05-2004, 01:25 AM
jammer

Hi, I am sorry for your loss. I had a mass tadpole death last year but
it was my fault. This year, so far, so good. It really sounds like
poisoning to me. Good luck in the future....

Old 19-05-2004, 01:26 AM

your water has gone toxic, most likely from the spawning of toads. DO NOT TREAT WITH
MEDICINES. this will just make it more toxic.
water changes!!!!!! get those toads and toadpoles and eggs out of there.
If you have to drain the pond, move the fish to a kiddie pool and clean all those
toadpoles outta there.
if you dont have hellatious aeration in this pond get an air blower from aquatic
ecosystems and 4 of their foot long sintered glass air stones to put oxygen into this
pond. between the ammonia and the temp of the water the fish are smothering.
Ingrid

"ray hucek" wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 19-05-2004, 02:04 AM
joe

My test kit says that levels of 0.25 mg/litre of ammonia can be lethal. I
don't have the conversion to PPM, maybe Ingrid or someone else can chime in.
My test kit also says that "As far as possible the nitrite concentration
should not exceed 0.20 mg/litre. At a level of 0.5 mg the fish will be
adversely affected."

Both ammonia and nitrite in high levels prevent fish from obtaining and
carrying oxygen.

Also:
This is a long shot, but has your community switched from chlorine to
chloramine in tap water? The latter takes way longer to dissipate (in fact I
can't find anything that says it ever dissipates) and I'm wondering if you
use a dechlorinator? If not, you might go get a jug of amquel. It will have
the side benefit of reducing your ammonia level. Would you consider your
filters effective? Poor filtering could lead to higher nitrite levels.

Sorry, don't know much about parasites, but many others on this list can
pipe in on the subject.

Joe

On 5/18/04 2:13 PM, "ray hucek" wrote:

Joe,