Old 20-05-2004, 04:03 AM

Default Urgent.. Koi Ulcers... I have no Potasium Prag...

I could not get potassium permaganate.. Something else was mention was to
use iodine on the area.. I could get neithier tonight at the local
pharmacy.. This is what I got, and I am thinking it might not hurt..Povidone
Iodine.. Which is the typical surgical prep stuff.. If someone can give me
an answer back ASAP I would appreciate it.. This Koi have cost me a lot of
money and I need to get them back to health ...

TIA... Tim

Old 20-05-2004, 08:07 AM
KenCo

T wrote:

I could not get potassium permaganate.. Something else was mention was to
use iodine on the area.. I could get neithier tonight at the local
pharmacy.. This is what I got, and I am thinking it might not hurt..Povidone
Iodine.. Which is the typical surgical prep stuff.. If someone can give me
an answer back ASAP I would appreciate it.. This Koi have cost me a lot of
money and I need to get them back to health ...

TIA... Tim

try a lg. plumbing supply wholesaler
its used to clean out pipes

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-831-5739 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 20-05-2004, 05:19 PM

http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disea....htm#POTASSIUM
and have plain old drugstore peroxide on hand to neutralize when treatment is done.
get some romet B antibiotic to help the fish. http://dandyorandas.com/
Ken Fischer
Dandy Oranda's
1460 Eastwood Avenue
Columbus, Oh 43203
(614) 252-0690

Ingrid

Now there's an idea... The plumbing supply... Anyone have a clue to what
kind of rate and with what I can mix the stuff with so I can apply it
correctly?

I used the prov Iodine yesterday to clean the ulcers up a bit.. To my
surprise they are not dead yet, although the ulcer's were bad enough to
expose bone for the fin's... This happened so quickly, and I do hope I have
caught it in time. The Koi are still fairly active, and they are young ones,
hopefully they find their will to get over the ulcers..I will retreat the
area again with the provodine iodine today and for the 5 following days to
see if I can save them.. Lordy knows they cost me $10 a piece and my cars
motor on the way home from the farm..

Tim

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 20-05-2004, 08:05 PM

Hey Ingrid, did you catch my reply in the other group about these fish...??

I think I am going to try the route I have taken.. I do hope the finnage
will grow back even though some bone material is exposed.. The redness has
resided ( there is some red inflmation still present ) since I used the
Provodone Iodine last night.. This has made me feel a lot better for the
fish' condition..

I presume the Isopropel Alc is to neutrealize the PP right.. Not the
Provodine Iodine ( in this case it is 10% Iodine )..

Tim
wrote in message
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 21-05-2004, 03:04 AM
RichToyBox

Whether it is iodine or PP, one treatment is usually all that is needed. It
burns the wound, in effect cauterizing it. Follow up treatment should be
done with a topical first aid treatment, like A&D ointment.
--
RichToyBox
"T" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old 21-05-2004, 03:06 AM

Opps. I went and gave the wounds another wipe with the Iodine... They
should be ok I would think.. Next time I will use A&D or perhaps should I
use Polysporin??

Tim

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
Whether it is iodine or PP, one treatment is usually all that is needed.

It
burns the wound, in effect cauterizing it. Follow up treatment should be
done with a topical first aid treatment, like A&D ointment.
--
RichToyBox
"T" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old 21-05-2004, 04:16 PM

yes!! one treatment, altho I dont recommend PP treatment at all, especially not that
"paste" some recommend, this could cauterize right down to the bone. yeck.
but use creme, not oint. Ingrid

"RichToyBox" wrote:

Whether it is iodine or PP, one treatment is usually all that is needed. It
burns the wound, in effect cauterizing it. Follow up treatment should be
done with a topical first aid treatment, like A&D ointment.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 23-05-2004, 07:50 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

If your treatment doesn't work, I highly recommend the treatment of
Tricide-Neo. http://www.pondrx.com/shop/listing.php?parentId=30
Worked for me. Best way is have fish in easily accessible salted Q-tank,
koi sock-net them out and into bag filled with meds, wait the time allowed
5 minutes, net them out and back into Q-tank. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 26-05-2004, 01:08 AM

Neither Fish made it, after the areas cleared a bit, they developed dropsy..
They died within a few hours of me noticing their secondary illness..
Unfortunantely them dieing was only the icing on cake for the whole time I
had them.. ( a short time mind you ).. On my way back in from the fish farm,
I blew the engine in my car.. So by them time I am finished totalling my
bills of getting these guys, I am now out just over $1500.. That is the part
that stings the most.. Although I am open for donations for some help to get
my cars motor replaced.. If you think you can help me, you can get a hold
of me here..

Tim...

s.com...