GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Foam Fractioners & Plant Dirt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/61971-foam-fractioners-plant-dirt.html)

HTH 23-05-2004 07:26 AM

Foam Fractioners & Plant Dirt

Greetings,

Does anyone know if foam fractioners will help to remove dirt particles
suspended in the pond water?

HTH

RichToyBox 23-05-2004 07:42 AM

Foam Fractioners & Plant Dirt

Foam fractionators work by having a lot of air come up through the proteins,
causing foam, which is then trapped in a container for disposal. I don't
think that it would do anything for any material that does not foam.
--
RichToyBox

Jim and Phyllis Hurley 23-05-2004 07:42 AM

Foam Fractioners & Plant Dirt

What are they? Most of us filter the dirt with plant roots and slow
circulation.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

HTH 23-05-2004 07:43 AM

RichToyBox wrote:
Foam fractionators work by having a lot of air come up through the proteins,
causing foam, which is then trapped in a container for disposal. I don't
think that it would do anything for any material that does not foam.

LOL, no I never expected that the dirt would foam up. But I was thinking
that the foam might trap dirt particles.

alderman 27-05-2004 08:16 PM

HTH wrote in message ...
Greetings,

Does anyone know if foam fractioners will help to remove dirt particles
suspended in the pond water?

HTH

From what I understand, foam fractionators do not work very well in
fresh water. They may get the big stuff out, but I dont think you
will get crystal clear with one.

john

HTH 28-05-2004 12:23 AM

Foam Fractioners & Plant Dirt

John,
FF's do not work well in fresh water aquariums but they do work in
ponds. (esp if one adds a bit of salt)
A few years back one of the koi/pond magazines (perhaps KOI USA) carried
a DIY article on them.

An article regarding a DIY FF by Larry Lunsford can be found at
http://home.netcom.com/~larry_l/foam_fract.htm Larry has written
numerous articles regarding Koi & ponds.

I was just wondering if anyone who was using one could tell me if the
generated foam trapped any escaped plant dirt.

Howard

alderman wrote:
HTH wrote in message ...

Greetings,

Does anyone know if foam fractioners will help to remove dirt particles
suspended in the pond water?

HTH

From what I understand, foam fractionators do not work very well in