Old 27-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Frog Eggs Yesterday...Today Nada

Last night we were out admiring the aerial on the four-foot-down-lotus
(Muhahahaha) and we notice to batches of frog eggs near the edge of the
pond. Today...they're gone...

BV.

Old 27-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote we notice to batches of frog eggs near the edge of the
pond. Today...they're gone...

I put some frogs eggs in my son's tank and darned if I didn't catch the snails
eating them!
But I thought they were eating them because they were past prime and dead (ones
that didn't seem to be hatching after all the rest did).

kathy :-)
Old 27-05-2004, 06:11 PM
WilsonKKW

sounds like dinner
Old 27-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Lee B.

Oooooo! High protein snacks for the fish, huh? A little caviar never hurt
anyone (it's that champagne that will kill ya!)

Lee

Old 28-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Let me guess....MTS??
They're renowned for eating fish eggs aswell.
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 29-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Sandy

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message ...
Last night we were out admiring the aerial on the four-foot-down-lotus
(Muhahahaha) and we notice to batches of frog eggs near the edge of the
pond. Today...they're gone...

BV.

Oh man, I hate when that happens.

Our family home we grew up in has a creek behind it and me and my
brothers spent hours in the Summertime out there and one of the most
intesting things we got to witness was the entire life cycle of the
frog egg.

All along the banks of the creek would be these slime strings floating
in the water, attached to some greenery on the banks, with eggs at any
given moment in the cycle.

So, in a days time we could actually see freshly laid frog eggs as
well as little tads ready to hop away, having lost the tail.

Our mom got us several microscopes and we were able to study each
portion/part in detail. We even documented the egg/tad anatomy along
the way. Noting exactly at what point the tad had intestinal guts, and
the size of its heart.

It's incredible how strong the slime sac is, how long it can be, how
many eggs it can hold, how it's elastic and designed to hold eggs as
it swivels in the flowing water. Sadly, it can become like a fish lure
as fish see that in the water flow and CHOMP!

We actually did a "study" in our little minds as to which fish wanted
the egg at what phase of develpment as we also had tiny naturally
spawned catfish, perch, and crappie in the same clear water creek. If
I recalled correctly, at a certain point in the tadpole life, fish
would not eat the tad, they became bitter. For the life of me I can't
recall what we determined about the eggs. I may have to give my
brothers a call!

Tomatoes, green, then nada,, ? ed Edible Gardening 1 31-08-2006 01:53 AM
Where to get potassium permanganate, and will it hurt frog eggs? Pam Gibbs Ponds 3 22-07-2004 07:39 PM
frog/toad eggs wanted Judi9000 Ponds 3 15-11-2003 11:22 PM
Frog Eggs? BenignVanilla Ponds 9 21-08-2003 03:02 AM
I have frog eggs! KMartin Ponds 2 27-06-2003 11:56 AM