GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How deep is too deep? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/62300-how-deep-too-deep.html)

Gib 28-05-2004 03:05 AM

How deep is too deep?

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message

I'm enlarging my pond, going from about 6' x 6' x 3' to
something like 10' x 15'. I thought I go 5' deep this time
but now I'm wondering if 7 or 8 feet is "too deep". Does anyone
have a pond this deep or deeper and do you regret it? Digging
will be more of a chore but you only have to do it once :-)

5' is probably deep enough, probably too deep for me. Neither 5' nor 8' is
too deep for the fish. It's a maintenance thing.

My philospohy is to pick a length and width that fits the
garden asthetically and then make it as deep as possible.

Thanks for any input.

Surface area is much more important than depth.

--
"LAWYER, n. One skilled in circumvention of the law."
- Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary

Webwarlock 28-05-2004 05:07 AM

How deep is too deep?

Put it this way, if a Chinaman pops his head out of the whole, you've
probably gone too deep.

Just had to get that in. :)

Gary Bindel 31-05-2004 12:04 AM

How deep is too deep?

Andrew Burgess wrote in message ...
I'm enlarging my pond, going from about 6' x 6' x 3' to
something like 10' x 15'. I thought I go 5' deep this time
but now I'm wondering if 7 or 8 feet is "too deep". Does anyone
have a pond this deep or deeper and do you regret it? Digging
will be more of a chore but you only have to do it once :-)

My philospohy is to pick a length and width that fits the
garden asthetically and then make it as deep as possible.

Thanks for any input.

My pond is 5 1/2' deep at the deepest point . Seeing as I am only 5'
8", It is a problem until the water warms up as my waders only go up
to my armpit. So I would recommend you take that into consideration.

Just Me \Koi\ 31-05-2004 02:07 AM

How deep is too deep?

You called BV?

I am convinced that I can drown in 6 inches of water!
Long story that is not worth discussing in this forum.
But worth mentioning is that my shrink said I'm getting better by the day!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

wrote in message
5 - 6 feet. any deeper and cleaning is a pain. altho good for far

northern areas.
snip

Clearly though...the though of JMK falling into a 7 foot deep pond is more
fund then a 2 foot deep pond.

BV.

Just Me \Koi\ 31-05-2004 02:07 AM

How deep is too deep?

One of the folks here in this newsgroup has a 5' deep pond in Southern
California.

I suspect that if he was to do it over, he will stay between 36-48"

For Southern Cali, I think that's mighty deep!

--
_______________________________________

Rich 31-05-2004 03:05 AM

How deep is too deep?

When the plants can't grow. Four feet is good enough.
And yes young kids are a concern.

Benign Vanilla 01-06-2004 03:07 PM

How deep is too deep?

"Rich" wrote in message
When the plants can't grow. Four feet is good enough.
And yes young kids are a concern.

snip

That is a good point. Although we have the ankle biters to stay away from
the pond, and we always keep an eye on them when they are in the yard, the
depth is an issue. My oldest could probably standing the deep part of my
pond, and the youngest would be OK if he stood on a pot. Soon he'll be tall
enough to stand on the bottom as well. What I am trying to say, is that with
my 42inch or so depth, if they did fall in, it would not necessarily be a
death sentence as it would be with 5 feet of water.

BV.

steve 02-06-2004 03:13 AM

How deep is too deep?

EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote in message ...
I wouldn't have made mine as deep as I did.
And mine isn't all that deep!
But at 5'6" if I get in the water is up to my waist.
That doesn't make for easy maintenance.
Also, without any shelves (which with our rock upon rock soil it was going to
be really hard to do) it makes it hard to put in marginal plants. Each plant
has to set on a stack of builder's brick and that makes them vulnerable to wind
in our yard.

That said I've ended up with all goldfish who don't need the greater depth than
koi. I've become a wildlife/nature ponder which has different requirements than
koi ponding.
A lot of depth has to do with your goals for ponding. The OP poster probably
wants to keep koi?

kathy :-)

You have a pretty good depth there though. You can still put in some
large lilies and you can use waders in the winter or even a kitchen
broom and dust pan plus it is probaly deep enough for protecting the
fish from birds and raccoons.