Old 27-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default How deep is too deep?

I'm enlarging my pond, going from about 6' x 6' x 3' to
something like 10' x 15'. I thought I go 5' deep this time
but now I'm wondering if 7 or 8 feet is "too deep". Does anyone
have a pond this deep or deeper and do you regret it? Digging
will be more of a chore but you only have to do it once :-)

My philospohy is to pick a length and width that fits the
garden asthetically and then make it as deep as possible.

Thanks for any input.

Old 27-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
I'm enlarging my pond, going from about 6' x 6' x 3' to
something like 10' x 15'. I thought I go 5' deep this time
but now I'm wondering if 7 or 8 feet is "too deep". Does anyone
have a pond this deep or deeper and do you regret it? Digging
will be more of a chore but you only have to do it once :-)

My philospohy is to pick a length and width that fits the
garden asthetically and then make it as deep as possible.

Thanks for any input.

IMHO...

....I wish I had gone deeper then 4 feet, maybe just a bit more. And I wish I
had dug level shelves.
....Too deep? I guess if it's "too deep" cleaning will become more of a
chore. In my four feet of water. I can stand in the pond, with some water
drained down and clean by hand, and there is still enough water for the fish
to stay in the pond.

BV.

Old 27-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Michael Shaffer

I would of made mine like 5 feet deep but they require a fence here if
it's deeper than 3 feet.

Old 27-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Go Fig

In article HWotc.16607$Sx2.3135@okepread01, Michael Shaffer
wrote:

I would of made mine like 5 feet deep but they require a fence here if
it's deeper than 3 feet.

For me its 18"

jay
Thu May 27, 2004

Old 27-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Ka30P

I wouldn't have made mine as deep as I did.
And mine isn't all that deep!
But at 5'6" if I get in the water is up to my waist.
That doesn't make for easy maintenance.
Also, without any shelves (which with our rock upon rock soil it was going to
be really hard to do) it makes it hard to put in marginal plants. Each plant
has to set on a stack of builder's brick and that makes them vulnerable to wind
in our yard.

That said I've ended up with all goldfish who don't need the greater depth than
koi. I've become a wildlife/nature ponder which has different requirements than
koi ponding.
A lot of depth has to do with your goals for ponding. The OP poster probably
wants to keep koi?

kathy :-)

Old 27-05-2004, 07:11 PM
WilsonKKW

2' is still considered landscaping, anything deeper you may need permission
from your township
Old 27-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message

[...]

Hmm...I have had a nagging itch that I should have not put Koi in. You just
made me itchier.

BV.

Old 27-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Andrew Burgess

...I wish I had gone deeper then 4 feet, maybe just a bit more. And I wish I
had dug level shelves.
...Too deep? I guess if it's "too deep" cleaning will become more of a
chore. In my four feet of water. I can stand in the pond, with some water
drained down and clean by hand, and there is still enough water for the fish
to stay in the pond.

I'm kind of a no-clean porg. I did have to 'get in' this week to
retrieve rocks that racoons had dumped in over the last few years. I'm netted
now so maybe that will stop. With more than 3 feet I'd probably just leave the
rocks in :-)

I have lily pots... Maybe a mask and snorkle? I don't service them very often
now, maybe twice in 15 years...

Thanks for the reply!

Old 27-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Snooze

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
I'm enlarging my pond, going from about 6' x 6' x 3' to
something like 10' x 15'. I thought I go 5' deep this time
but now I'm wondering if 7 or 8 feet is "too deep". Does anyone
have a pond this deep or deeper and do you regret it? Digging
will be more of a chore but you only have to do it once :-)

My philospohy is to pick a length and width that fits the
garden asthetically and then make it as deep as possible.

Thanks for any input.

How deep can you reach and still keep your face above water? Use that as
your guide to depth. Unless you fancy having a pond water facial.

Snooze

Old 27-05-2004, 09:12 PM

5 - 6 feet. any deeper and cleaning is a pain. altho good for far northern areas.
Ingrid

Andrew Burgess wrote:

I'm enlarging my pond, going from about 6' x 6' x 3' to
something like 10' x 15'. I thought I go 5' deep this time
but now I'm wondering if 7 or 8 feet is "too deep". Does anyone
have a pond this deep or deeper and do you regret it? Digging
will be more of a chore but you only have to do it once :-)

My philospohy is to pick a length and width that fits the
garden asthetically and then make it as deep as possible.

Thanks for any input.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 27-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Andrew Burgess

How deep can you reach and still keep your face above water? Use that as
your guide to depth. Unless you fancy having a pond water facial.

What are you reaching for? A long pole net can rescue dropped items.
Repotting lilies... maybe have nylon ropes attached so they can be
'fished' out? Or just snorkle once a decade...

I don't have marginal plants. Anacharis manages itself.

Heck, around here I could advertise and SELL pond facials :-)

Old 27-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Lee B.

If you're building it with a bottom drain (or 2), then you could go 6-8'
easily: the deeper it is, the safer your fish will be. I don't know where
you're located, but if it freezes, your fish will thank you for the added
depth G. On the down side, if you don't have bottom drains, the depth will
KILL you trying to keep it clean. And trying to catch the little hummers
without a seine net would be impossible. To be honest, I've never heard
anyone say "I wish it was more shallow", but I've heard a LOT of folks wish
it was deeper.

Lee

Old 27-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Benign Vanilla

wrote in message
5 - 6 feet. any deeper and cleaning is a pain. altho good for far

northern areas.
snip

Clearly though...the though of JMK falling into a 7 foot deep pond is more
fund then a 2 foot deep pond.

BV.

Old 28-05-2004, 01:25 AM
HTH

I agree with Lee. My large pond consists of two basins connected along
one edge. When the pond is full there is about 18 inches of water over
the submerged common edge. To clean the pond I chase the fish to one
side and then drain and clean the other.

The deeper of the two basins is about 5 feet deep with a 4 inch bottom
drain.If I open the drain about once a month it sucks most of the muck
from the bottom of the bowl shaped pond into the drain. My intent was
to hook the drain into the filtration system (not yet done).

Howard

Old 28-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Go Fig

In article , Lee B.
wrote:

If you're building it with a bottom drain (or 2), then you could go 6-8'
easily: the deeper it is, the safer your fish will be. I don't know where
you're located, but if it freezes, your fish will thank you for the added
depth G.

A deep pond (or area) all but eliminates raccoon problems.

jay
Thu May 27, 2004